Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hungry, or not...after surgery

hey iam right there with you i can not determine the difference between what could be stomach acid grumbling or wether it is actually my hunger pains i dont feel hungry all day but man is there times when i really, really feel hungry! Iam only like 8 days out from surgery and feeling confused that my grenlin is not gone, when will it subside?????? iam feeling like a failure already!

It took me 3 1/2 months to lose my hunger. And breaking bad habits I'm still working on. I have to remind myself just because its 1:00 doesn't always mean I have to eat.

I am never really hungry now, and I am pretty close to 2 years post op.

I was hungry on the post op diet when I was on liquids.

As soon as I moved to mushies , my hunger went away. Every once in awhile I do feel slightly hungry where I feel like my stomach is slightly growling but it's barely anything.

I am not necessarily hungry but it's more mental. Like when I would be sitting in the living room watching a movie or something, I would have a huge desire to be eating a whole bag of chips like I might have before surgery. I have found out, that my eyes are still, and even more so now, much bigger than my stomach. Just last night, I had an urge for softserve ice cream. I ordered a small, but the small is still really big. I barely made a dent in it and had to throw it out. In a way, I'm kinda grieving for the way I used to eat. It wasn't healthy for sure, but it definitely did satisfy an emotional part of me.

i was sleeved on the 11th....i can honestly say I am not physically hungry...i think what I am feeling is head hunger...i am bored with liquids...and i see commercials and see friends/family eating and salivate...but i am not hungry...Its weird but prior if I went a whole day without food I would get a wicked headache...i honestly haven't gotten a headache since day 2 of my pre-op liquid diet

the first couple of weeks i had zero hunger. in week 3 i'm starting to feel hunger, but not the ravenous hunger i experienced pre-op.

I am 4 weeks out and I have no desire to eat or drink anything. Nothing tastes good.. I feel sick to my stomach most of the time. I am getting a little worried that I can't find anything I like to drink. I don't want to get dehydrated.

Sleeved on the 4/12 and I don't have hunger yet and I was someone who was ravenous a lot before surgery. I have an "empty" feeling when I have not eaten in awhile but it feels like something I could ignore if I wanted. I took prilosec every day for years since I had a hiatal hernia but it was repaired at the same time and I haven't taken anything for acid since the surgery nor have I felt the need to. :). Yea! I did wake up this morning craving a turkey club sandwich with crisp bacon and lots of mayo! ;).

I am 6 weeks post op and I can completely eat whatever I want and it all goes down fine. I still love the taste and smell of food. I do periodically have head hunger, but that is subsiding as time passes. It was fierce at first,so I'm glad that is going away! I absolutely need to make good food choices and follow the rules otherwise I could definitely see how this could fail. With that said, I absolutely do not have the insatiable appetite that I had pre-op, which is all I really need to be successful at this.

The first few days I didn't like the taste of anything. slowly that changed. I did have hunger, not just head hunger, but the gnawing stomach feeling ( I did and do take omeprozole). Just in the past week, I have noticed that my hunger is quite a bit less. I like to eat, and enjoy cooking something tasty, but the restriction is good, and when I'm done Im done. I can at times easily chose to not eat... or at times I don't get to it before I start getting a little lightheaded. I am now at 13 weeks.

At 2 months out, I would have to say that I experience hunger... or at least something happens that makes me glance up at the clock and realize I need to eat every couple of hours. But it is never the 'I must have food or I will go crazy' type of hunger I had before the surgery. More of a tickling type feeling that tells me it's time for a snack. The only other time I feel hungry is when my coworkers (cheerfully refered to as 'the sadists') bring in cupcakes, donuts, or whatever other 'treat' they've decided to leave in the breakroom. Mentally, I still feel that compulsion to shove it in whether I'm physically hungry or not. However, I've never actually given in and eaten any of it.

Hi :) Im not being sleeved till June 13th, along with 4 hernia repairs, and then some, but....that is my concern. I eat non stop, and always have very huge desires to eat. Im not a sweet eater, but I can pack away the chicken and salad. I guess that would be good if I were having the bypass, but Im not, but I feel like I cant live without my whole chicken for lunch :( I know it's all in the head with me, and am trying to find out if after u eat (already being sleeved that is), do u feel full??? if u dont mind me asking? and can u walk away as if u had a big meal ? or is it like.... ok, I had my 4 oz but I definitely need more, and of couse we cant eat that way anymore? I dont know if im explaining myself right. Anyway, good luck with ur new sleeve, and may all ur wishes and dreams come true! thanks :D:):) quote name='Infernored' timestamp='1303481901' post='140843']

I am not necessarily hungry but it's more mental. Like when I would be sitting in the living room watching a movie or something, I would have a huge desire to be eating a whole bag of chips like I might have before surgery. I have found out, that my eyes are still, and even more so now, much bigger than my stomach. Just last night, I had an urge for softserve ice cream. I ordered a small, but the small is still really big. I barely made a dent in it and had to throw it out. In a way, I'm kinda grieving for the way I used to eat. It wasn't healthy for sure, but it definitely did satisfy an emotional part of me.

After I eat, I do feel full. Sometimes way too full. It's bizarre how I can feel so full on so little food. :blink:

HI :D Congrats on ur new sleeve :) Im not being sleeved till June 13th, along with 4 hernia repairs and then some lol...but im wondering if u wouldnt mind answering this question...after u eat (being sleeved of course), do u feel full, and can u walk away as if u had a big meal, or is it like....ok, i had my 4 oz, and i need more!!!! I am not a sweet eater, but I can pack away the Protein and salads. I mean, im never satisfied unless I have a whole chicken and a bag of salad for lunch alone :(! and my body is alwayssss craving protein, I dont know y, and neither does my Dr lol I eat just about nothing else, other than Proteins and salads, but tons of it...thats y i am 330 lbs. Anyway, good luck to u, and ur new sleeve. Ur right in time for the summer :D:D:D Thanks :)

Sleeved on the 4/12 and I don't have hunger yet and I was someone who was ravenous a lot before surgery. I have an "empty" feeling when I have not eaten in awhile but it feels like something I could ignore if I wanted. I took prilosec every day for years since I had a hiatal hernia but it was repaired at the same time and I haven't taken anything for acid since the surgery nor have I felt the need to. :). Yea! I did wake up this morning craving a turkey club sandwich with crisp bacon and lots of mayo! ;).

Hi :D , Congrats on ur sleeve first of all, and thanks for ur post. It kind of answered my question I am asking all over the site :) I am a person who eats all day long. The good thing is....Im not a sweet eater. My body craves Protein. I need my whole chicken and a whole bag of salad for lunch!...but my question to sleevers is...after u eat, do u feel full like u would after a meal b4 surgery? or is it like...ok, I had my 4 oz and I need more...that crazy type of hunger as u put it. I eat very big once or twice a day, but crazily I can eat an 18 lb turkey. I know it sounds absolutely crazy, but that is y i am 330 lbs, coming down from 475 giving birth to my son! but in 1998 Anyway, thanks for ur post again, and good luck to u. May all ur dreams and wishes come true :D thx :)

At 2 months out, I would have to say that I experience hunger... or at least something happens that makes me glance up at the clock and realize I need to eat every couple of hours. But it is never the 'I must have food or I will go crazy' type of hunger I had before the surgery. More of a tickling type feeling that tells me it's time for a snack. The only other time I feel hungry is when my coworkers (cheerfully refered to as 'the sadists') bring in cupcakes, donuts, or whatever other 'treat' they've decided to leave in the breakroom. Mentally, I still feel that compulsion to shove it in whether I'm physically hungry or not. However, I've never actually given in and eaten any of it.

I am only one week out and I would not say I have felt hunger but my stomach gurgles a lot. Easter was actually easy because I wasn't hungry at all. My NOSE was hungry but my stomach wasn't.