Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

can you drink alcohol after surgery ????

Views
Started by kisses1000us, Feb 27, 2011 1:13 PM
12 replies to this topic
Share this topic with all your friends:

12 replies to this topic

kisses1000us

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
Posted February 27, 2011 - 1:13 PM

I'm a social drinker and I just wanted to know if you can still drink alcohol after having the surgery ......how do you have to wait .I hope I can still enjoy a couple of Apple martini from time to time .......

KathyM

• Starting Weight: 299 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 0 lbs
  • Current Weight: 299 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 140 lbs
  • BMI: 49.8
Posted February 27, 2011 - 1:54 PM

Oh yes baby! lol I think it was about 3 months out when I tried alcohol. I am a redneck from the midwest lol so I was raised on beer, however I would have to say it is probably the least tolerable after surgery - I think too much carbonation. But mixed drinks or other types of alcohol haven't given me any problems. I will say haha that I haven't been able to get drunk since surgery - I just can't drink enough at once for that to happen.

MRSKOUBiK

Jes

Posted February 27, 2011 - 2:25 PM

You can drink. But, most people wait until they reach goal or they are a little farther out.

You probably wouldn't want to drink something that has too much carbonation because it won't feel so great.

Overall it's a personal decision!

kisses1000us

Posted February 27, 2011 - 4:01 PM

Thanks for the advise

weho

Guru in Training

• Surgeon: Manuel Castro-arreola
  • Surgery Date: May 2011
  • Starting Weight: 213 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 69 lbs
  • Current Weight: 144 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 140 lbs
  • BMI: 24.7
Posted February 27, 2011 - 4:09 PM

You mean I won't be able to drink enough to catch a buzz Kathym?!?! I don't want to get falling-down drunk or anything, but If I'm going to drink, I want to be able to feel it!

bilka

Guru in Training

Posted February 27, 2011 - 4:12 PM

I told myself I would wait for like 3 months after surgery... Good job! I drank half glass of wine yesterday (I am 19 days out) at a dinner party. I enjoyed it SO much. I am not going to drink any soon again, but it is the only thing I really miss. I think that a small glass of white wine sometimes on the weekend is not going to kill me or my weight loss. I was the same weight this morning as I was yesterday. It felt so good...:tape:

kisses1000us

Posted February 27, 2011 - 4:19 PM

Ok good to know , I'm not talking about drinking right after surgery but about 4 mos out it will be my birthday ....Will you still get a buzz when you drink .....

triz35

Novice

• My Blogs
Posted March 22, 2011 - 9:25 AM

I had VSG surgery on 2/26, I drank a cranberry & vodka on St. Patty's Day. (didn't want to try beer, too filling). I caught a little tickle (not even a buzz) but only had 1 drink and it took about an hour to down. On Saturday 3/19 it was my Birthday so I had to drink. I drank a Cosmopolitan and nothing happened, I ordered a second Cosmo and 2 sips into it I was full so I had to stop. I'm scared I won't be able to catch a buzz either, I don't smoke or do any drugs so drinks are really the only thing I do to take the edge off. I'm not going to drink again till my cruise on May 1st so we'll see how it goes.

Middlesister57

Posted March 22, 2011 - 9:32 AM

OMG I had one shot of Tequilla at about 10 weeks out and I got really drunk for about 5 minutes, puked, and then I was fine. I think you will for sure be able to get a buzz.

Was a humpty dumpty

• Surgery: Gastric Sleeve
  • Surgeon: John Yadegar
  • Surgery Date: Jul 2011
  • Starting Weight: 207 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 65 lbs
  • Current Weight: 142 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 130 lbs
  • BMI: 27.7
Posted March 22, 2011 - 2:04 PM

My surgeons instructions say after 3 months. I was surprized, I thought it would be never.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      Apr 18
    betty_s

less than 3 weeks until banding day! havent felt nervous yet, just excited.

Show comments (1)
View All Updates