Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

can i stretch my sleeve????

Views
Started by kymmi12, Dec 18, 2010 12:36 PM
17 replies to this topic
17 replies to this topic

kymmi12

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
Posted December 18, 2010 - 12:36 PM

I would like to know if a sleeve can be stretched within 7 months??? I can sometimes eat alot of soft foods , . i get full but i will wait a few minutes and I can eat again .. its so frustrating because i have not loss any weight in 37 days.....HELP!!!!

Tiffykins

Believes in the Sleeve

• My Blogs
Posted December 18, 2010 - 1:36 PM

You've reached the point where all of the your sleeve can accommodate a lot more food than what it could a couple of months ago. You really can't stretch out your stomach unless the fundus (stretchy part) of the stomach was left behind, and that falls on surgical technique. I can eat a lot of slider/mushy foods, and then eat again an hour later. It's making the choice to not eat those foods, or not eat again that makes the sleeve work.

Go back to the basics, protein first, dense foods that will stay with you longer, and avoid carbs to get the scale moving again.

kymmi12

Posted December 18, 2010 - 2:30 PM

Thank you so much for clearing that up . so what can I do now is start from the basics again.??? I feel bad because I really don't want any more weight gain .I have gained 3 lbs since thanksgiving. i can't drink anyy plain water w/o feeling full fast. sometimes I overeat and vomit .. Its a strong addiction to food that I have to work on . any groups you can recommend? I had surgery in April and I have lost atotal of 52 lbs but I gained 3 lbs last 2 days . It could have been cookies and cake foir the holidays .. I was eating all bad things .. now i got to get back to that basics and loose this weight .its so hard because i love to cook and I am a mother of 2 small kids that have to eat .. I have to try harder for that maximum weight loss.

Lynn H.

• Surgery: Gastric Sleeve
Posted December 18, 2010 - 3:15 PM

Thank you so much for clearing that up . so what can I do now is start from the basics again.??? I feel bad because I really don't want any more weight gain .I have gained 3 lbs since thanksgiving. i can't drink anyy plain water w/o feeling full fast. sometimes I overeat and vomit .. Its a strong addiction to food that I have to work on . any groups you can recommend? I had surgery in April and I have lost atotal of 52 lbs but I gained 3 lbs last 2 days . It could have been cookies and cake foir the holidays .. I was eating all bad things .. now i got to get back to that basics and loose this weight .its so hard because i love to cook and I am a mother of 2 small kids that have to eat .. I have to try harder for that maximum weight loss.

Hello,

does your surgeon have support groups? if they do I would definately go and seek support, I would also go to your local over eaters anonymous meeting, they are in almost every city. If you work the program it can help you with your food addiction and fellow members are a great support system.
good luck! ;)

sleeved Dec 1, 2010

Posted Image

Cinderella

Expert Member

Posted December 18, 2010 - 10:34 PM

My surgeon says that you can definitely stretch your sleeve out... your stomach is like a giant balloon... but I don't think you can do it in seven months.

They did tell me that it would take six months for the final size to "settle in." So you may be feeling the final, unswollen and healed size of your sleeve... which, I am told, generally holds no more than 6-OZ... which is less than one cup.

It is NOT a good idea to eat until you vomit, that is definitely a way to stretch your sleeve back out.

I agree that going to support group meetings would help, also talk to the nutritionist.

Remember, do NOT drink when you eat. That makes the food slide through the sleeve and you eat more.

Good luck!

kymmi12

Posted December 19, 2010 - 8:56 AM

Thank you again ... I can sometimes eat the mushy foods with ease . BUT sometimes I can't eat and i get so frustrated because i can't really enjoy food like before. Also when i had my 6 month check up with the nut , he said I was doing really good .all my blood test were excellent . especially my protein level ..They were impressed but since thanksgiving , i have fallen into a rut. I eat every 2 hrs , nothing really big but my husband says "baby , you are eating too much."" Then i log the food in fatsecret .com and i only consume around 1500-1800 cal daily. sometime my carbs are too much , my fat is good and my protein is always 90 and above. i really believe that its the carbs and my addiction to food. thank you for sharing all of your advice , i actually feel better. I know what i got to do , now I have to do it! :D I will join overeaters support group asap.. (like today!)

NtvTxn

Sleeve Guru

• Surgeon: James Davidson
  • Surgery Date: Jun 2010
  • Starting Weight: 228 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 86 lbs
  • Current Weight: 142 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 150 lbs
  • BMI: 22.9
Posted December 19, 2010 - 9:05 AM

So which is it, can we stretch our tummies back out or not? Some say yes, some say no!! I do not possibly see HOW we could ever stretch it out too much....not from what is now 3 oz to what WAS like a deflated football, which they say was approx. 51 oz. I have not been hungry since I woke up from surgery, my 'new' hunger is an empty feeling occasionally, but nothing that I would call real hunger. I feel lucky, I hope it stays this way! So, which is it, does it stretch or not?!!! What do we believe??!!

My surgeon says that you can definitely stretch your sleeve out... your stomach is like a giant balloon... but I don't think you can do it in seven months.

They did tell me that it would take six months for the final size to "settle in." So you may be feeling the final, unswollen and healed size of your sleeve... which, I am told, generally holds no more than 6-OZ... which is less than one cup.

It is NOT a good idea to eat until you vomit, that is definitely a way to stretch your sleeve back out.

I agree that going to support group meetings would help, also talk to the nutritionist.

Remember, do NOT drink when you eat. That makes the food slide through the sleeve and you eat more.

Good luck!

NtvTxn

Sleeve Guru

• Surgeon: James Davidson
  • Surgery Date: Jun 2010
  • Starting Weight: 228 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 86 lbs
  • Current Weight: 142 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 150 lbs
  • BMI: 22.9
Posted December 19, 2010 - 9:19 AM

Kymmi - your caloric intake seems very high to me if you're still in the losing stage. I reached my goal almost two months ago and my dietitian said I would need to UP my calories from my average of 675 calories a day to between 800 and 1200 calories per day to maintain. I know that some people may take in a little more per day when they are losing but you are in the honeymoon period for the first year. Do you have a dietitian that you see or can talk to? If so, what do they say about the calories? I'd have to ask, what are you eating? I had NO sweets, NONE until I reached goal. I know this is not a diet, but until I hit my goal, I was obsessive about it and everything I put into my mouth. I TREATED it as a diet I guess. Good luck!

Thank you again ... I can sometimes eat the mushy foods with ease . BUT sometimes I can't eat and i get so frustrated because i can't really enjoy food like before. Also when i had my 6 month check up with the nut , he said I was doing really good .all my blood test were excellent . especially my protein level ..They were impressed but since thanksgiving , i have fallen into a rut. I eat every 2 hrs , nothing really big but my husband says "baby , you are eating too much."" Then i log the food in fatsecret .com and i only consume around 1500-1800 cal daily. sometime my carbs are too much , my fat is good and my protein is always 90 and above. i really believe that its the carbs and my addiction to food. thank you for sharing all of your advice , i actually feel better. I know what i got to do , now I have to do it! :D I will join overeaters support group asap.. (like today!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      Jul 25
    Teachamy

Had fabulous if inappropriate dreams about an affair with chocolate last nigh...

Show comments (1)
  • Photo
      Jul 25
    Moxy

150 lbs gone!!! feeling so good!

Show comments (3)
View All Updates