Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've just caught up with this thread, so I do hope things are getting easier for your wife Champ.... tell her we're all rooting for her!!

Kathy

So we just got home from the hospital yesterday, the infected area seems to be alot better, she still has a slight fever. It was weird, at the hospital she had like NO drainage from where the leak was, but this morning we started seeing drainage again. Our next step is on Monday or Tuesday she will have the stents removed and they will test to see if the leak is healed. I really need prayers that it is.

And from the question, she did have a CT scan before we left the hospital initially after the 1st surgery, showed no leaks.

Well, you've got the prayers. Best of luck to her speedy recovery.

Thanks for the update. I know we are all hoping for the best. I'm glad shes home and all the best wishes for a complete repair on Monday.

Champ one baby step at a time and her healing will come to pass...my prayer for your wife's healing will continue.

Well....I was changing the dressings on her and noticed that he stitches holding both the drain and the feeding tube are no longer in place. I secures the tubes with tape and we are waiting on the doctor to call back. Never a dull moment...I really do not know what to expect, I just want this to heal and be done with.

Sending prayers up for your family, for your strenght to continue and your wife to heal and be healthy.Keep us updated. Carla

Well....I was changing the dressings on her and noticed that he stitches holding both the drain and the feeding tube are no longer in place. I secures the tubes with tape and we are waiting on the doctor to call back. Never a dull moment...I really do not know what to expect, I just want this to heal and be done with.

Where are the men like you in my world? How blessed is your wife to have you? So very blessed. Tell her that we are thinking about her and many of us are praying for her thorough and speedy recovery. Hang in there Champ.

Ok, the Dr. called and we are going to his office tomorrow AM to have the stitches re-done. Then a few days of rest at home and next Monday will be such a big day.....I feel positive we will have good news.

Good for you! At least you get a breather over the weekend. It's good that you are following up so quickly on these issues. It will make all the difference to a speedy recovery. Best wishes.

Ok, the Dr. called and we are going to his office tomorrow AM to have the stitches re-done. Then a few days of rest at home and next Monday will be such a big day.....I feel positive we will have good news.

Champ (and that you are!), I'm going to go a little off track here and go back to someone's earlier point that you might need to get a second opinion. You haven't given us any indication that this leak was caused by negligence on the part of the doctor, nor has the aftercare been lacking. (Is the doctor taking care of the leak the same doc who did the surgery?) But, I think at some point when there is not a clear pattern of improvement, you owe it to yourself and your wife to get another medical opinion. A second doctor may totally endorse what's being done and then you can somewhat put your mind at ease and continue caring for your wife. But I recall you saying that it seems like the doctors are just trying things hoping that it will fix the leak. Maybe you could do some research on bariatric docs who have experience with fixing leaks and see if you could arrange a consult. I'm sure there are some difficulties with this, like the possibility of out of state travel, but if nothing else you may find some info that could be useful to your wife's healing.

To get back to the most important thoughts, best wishes for your wife's healing and your family's peace of mind. We are thinking of and praying for your family.

We are now scheduled for Monday @ noon to remove the stents, I'm very optimistic the leak will be healed. Wife is doing better today, walking around more.

We thought about a 2nd opinion, but there's 2 roadblocks. The surgeon who did the repair did do the initial surgery. And after 2 months of complications, he is so familiar with what is happening. Another thing is that he is the only bariatric surgeon my insurance covers. In the worse case scenerio, like no improvement in the healing at all, I think we will seek a 2nd opinion.

It has been a long disheartening experience for you and your wife for sure. I hope she will continue to feel better all weekend and Monday will bring great news!

Thoughts and prayers for you both.

Update:

We came in this morning and my wife has been so IV abused they could not find a vein to use.....they had to do a pick line. They removed the stents at 4PM.....and the hole is STILL THERE and they placed another partially covered stent in. And from what the doctor told me, the hole looks like it has not improved at all. I'm waiting for her to get to her room and to hear from the Dr. This is an absolutle nightmare with no end in sight.

Even my oldest daughter's teacher called today too let me know she was crying in class today because of her mommy. I can't handle anymore.