Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insulin Pumpers having VSG?

Sorry again

Anything about pre op hba1c?

Hw well did it improve after the sleeve?

Thanks

I was connected to sliding scales with insulin pump in hospital. My insulin was monitored by my diabetic consultant. My rates dramatically changed after operation. No complication post op! No problems with infections. No leaks. Had a test 6 weeks after my op. All was good. Left hospital 48 hours after surgery. Weight loss was spectacular in the first 6-8 months. It slowed down later on but with help from yoga and pilates classes plus lots of walking body shape is continuously changing, for better! Took me up to 4-6 month to up my energy levels. Problem mostly with finding a correct balance between carbs an Proteins. Not enough carbs means very tired and slowing down with a weight loss. You will soon learn by trial and error! Had a great support from my pump clinic: meeting with my nurse every month to change my pump's settings. Insulin resistance "vanished" after 6 months!!!! Wonderful! Today, over 2 years after my surgery, I'm nice UK size 16. I'm full of energy and my body is still changing shape. I eat absolutely everything in small portions.I eat in public places and attend dinner parties. I don't advertise that I had VSG. It's my business only! When pushed and questioned: "have some more" I very firmly respond- "no, thank you". No explanation added. I love my life and wish I had this done years ago. No bigger problems with hypos now than before sleeve if anything situation is better. Good luck!

Im so lucky that i found this thread... Iv been researching all over the internet but at no avail... Im 26 type1 diabetic for the past 19 yrs on insulin pump, with different basal rates going up to 3.5/hr. my max usage per day is 175 units a day (bad days) a typical day would have a consumption of around 140 units. I have had insulin resistance. I have decided to go for the sleeve. As many lf u,i think, most of the drs encourage type 2 but not type 1, so I he wanted to contact my dr (diabetologist) who does not know a lot about me as i have been doctoring myself since i was around 13. Anyway i visited him and informed him about my decision and he approved. Now my sleeve dr said he will do the sleeve for me for obesity reasons not to fix my diabetes (knowing that i am doing it for obesity not diabetes), i am concerned about few things.

Can u please answer me the following questions

1- where u on or off the pump during surgery?

2- any complications with the wound?

3- any leaks?

4- any infection?

5- how many hypoglycemias were encountered during the day?

6- after how many days did u go back to ur normal life? Work?

7- how many days were u hospitalized?

8- immediately after the surgery, did the insulin consumption decrease by half?

9- how slow is the weight loss process?

I am sorry to ask these questions but i need to know a bit of those mechanics as i kind of want to know how to manage myself and inform the dr.

Thanks a lot

Im so happy i found u :)

I am 10.5 months out, have rheumatoid arthritis, have been type 1 diabetic since age 9 (22.5 years), and a pump user for 12 years. I was always very brittle and very insulin resistant. The month prior to surgery I was on a pre-op diet, and my insulin needs dropped quite a bit during that time. I was glad I had to do that diet, as I was making adjustments to my basal rates every 3 days. By doing this prior to surgery, if I was low, I didn't have any issue eating anything to bring it up. We monitored my changing blood sugars closely during this month and after surgery, and have worked it out just fine.

I had my pump on during surgery; it was necessary, as I cannot go too long without insulin without heading into dka. It was put at a very reduced rate though - just enough to have a small amount coming in. My blood sugars were also monitored closely to assure no issues with highs or lows and my medical team was prepared to take care of them if they arose. I had absolutely no wound complications, leaks, or infection, and all my wounds healed beautifully. My insulin requirement dropped dramatically immediately after surgery - about 85% or more decreased and that continues. I have become very carb sensitive and the littlest bit can shoot my BS through the roof.

As always, being type 1 and on the pump, you have to test frequenly and be very knowledgable about how and when to make adjustments. I did do a lot of this on my own; however, it is key to have your health care team closely involved with every aspect of this.

I had surgery on a Monday morning and left the hospital Wed. afternoon, even though one of my lungs collapsed during surgery. I hit my goal at around 6 months out, and am trying to maintain. I am currently about 20 lbs under goal, but still falling within an acceptable BMI range. (Total weight loss of 113 lbs) My biggest struggle throughout this is consuming enough fluids to keep from dehydration. I am a bit unusual with my specific problems, but then again, I always have been.

Having surgery is a very personal decision, and each person must weigh the pros and cons. As for me, It was a great decision, in spite of a bumpy road.

Thank you everyone for being very supportive and informative. I have an endoscopy tomorrow morning to check wether i have a hernia in my stomach or not.

I found ur answers very knowledgeable and constructive. Thank you.

Just a question about the HBA1C, should it be within a range before the surgery or it does not matter? Amd how well did it improve after the sleeve?

Thank you

Best regards everyone

Each baratric center has different requiredments. I did not have to have my a1c in normal range but was only barley above the recommended number. My a1c has improved since surgery a little, but has been a constant battle because I still am brittle. I wish for you the best.

My Dr won't do surgery unless A1c is 7 or below, but all Drs are different

I got the OK for my sleeve. Now i need to choose the date which is this monthhhh:) im xcited but scared:)

I'm very interested in your story.

I'm 54 years old, type 1 diabetic for over 20 years and a user of a Medtronic Pump for over 5 years.

Similar to you my doses of insulin are between 80u to 140u a day. My weight is creeping up steadily in the last 4 years. Maybe it's my age but I'm very tired of fighting a loosing battle of the bulge. I have a long history of using slimming tablets. Years! Of course as soon as I stop taking pills my weight goes up like a balloon. You know, a yo yo syndrome.

I'm a UK resident and my medical care is provided by NHS (National Health Service). 2 months ago I received a founding for a bariatric surgery.

The BIG question is: what type?

My first choice was to have a band fitted. I had a consultation with a surgeon 2 weeks ago and for the first time we discussed a possibility of VSG( it's been here around for 10 years and is still regarded by some as a new kid on the bloc)

Just a possibility...

Since than my head is spinning. I'm spending hours on Internet trying to find and absorb enough knowledge to make an informed decision. You're the first diabetic type 1 and a pump user with VSG.

Help!!!

How was it post op? Some of the stories are quite off putting!

Did you have a lot of trouble with adjusting your basal rates?

Did you have to change them at all?

- a very stressed Kermit :unsure:

I used the sleeve surgery because the band is dangerous and the bypass has dumping and as a type 1, if you get a low the dumping prevents you from eating sugar to bring it back up.

I had 85% of my pancreas removed in 1990 and became a diabetic. 5 years ago what I had left stopped working and I became a type 1 with resistance. My insulin is a U500, not a U 100. I was getting a massive amount of insulin and still running in the 350 to 450's. They tried putting me on Lantus after surgery but my sugars still were high, back on pump I have more control. Still on the U500 till Monday when I see my endo. But on a fraction of what I was taking. Lost 73 lbs so far, 7 weeks out. It is harder to lose with insulin, hoping I can go a lot lower.

You will. It might not be as spectacular as in case of others but it will happen. I'm now 2 years after my surgery. I stopped losing weight in the last 4-6 months. I decline to worry. I was size 28 now 16 and very, very happy about it. Summer is coming and with it more fruit, better weather....more chances to loose more. Maybe... I'm very happy with myself presently.

I got the OK for my sleeve. Now i need to choose the date which is this monthhhh:) im xcited but scared:)

Yay I'm excited for you! It is completely normal to be scared. It will be a new beginning. Good luck keep use posted.

Thanks for all ur stories im learning a lot.

Its ur experience thatbis supporting me as noone around me is. My fiance is ok with it but scared. My dad rejected it 100% NO NO mom is fine as i will lose weight. All my friends are a no except fr 2 who already did it but they are nt diabetics. So ur a great support:)

Il keep u posted and let u know.

I have nt received my diet plan yet or anything i suppose the dr will do so soon.

:)

So the date is set. Its april the 5th. Wsh me luk:). Im somehow freaking out out more by the moment but im excited as summer is gettn closer:)

However no instructions yet. The dr told me that the nyt bfr the surgery the nutritionist from his team will come to my room to have a talk.

Hoping fr the best.

:)

I've been an Insulin Dependent Type 1 Diabetic since I was 18 months old. Been taking insulin for 33.5 years. 30 yrs on syringes and the last 3.5 with the pump. Hypo-Thyroid since I was 7 yrs old. So excited...I just got my surgery date...July 18th. Any recommedations other than the cutting back insulin and running a little high the day of???