Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having pain under my ribs!! HElp

I was banded on 3-22-06 everytime i eat i get (what feels like a stitch)

Its like if you work out real hard or walk real fast after eating pain right

under my left side ribs. It hurt again this morning when i was getting ready for work. Should i be concerned or just my body starting to get use to solid foods again. Anything i can do to prevent this. Thanks for any help...:faint: It makes me feel weak....

NCottrell

I had my gallblader out already. I havent not eaten alot. Last night i had Soup thats all. It last for a while. It was there even when i got up this morning. Do you think i ate to fast...

NCottrell, I had that pain for about 4-5 weeks after my surgery. Call your surgeon and tell them what you're feeling. I can bet, if it's anything like mine was...just under your left ribs and beneath the incision that is where they do most of the work when putting the lap band in place. My surgeon and the NP told me thats where they have to tunnel in to and work to get the band around your stomach. It's the most worked area and your port is stitched in that area. If that area also has an indent compared to the rest of your tummy that is the same spot I'm talking about. Some people it goes away really fast others, like myself, it takes a good 5 weeks or so to completely feel like your old self in that spot. Definately take it easy when you move around, lift things etc. I did feel that "stitch" feeling if I ate a bit too much or too fast. Go slower and chew really well. Hope this helps!

SherryW

Hi. I am new to board and was banded 4/6/06. I am on liquids and I have what feels like a lump under my right ribcage. I know the right side feels that way due to it being the port side, however, why do I feel this way on the left? It feels like when you are pregnant and baby is large and moves under your ribcage. This is a bearable inconvience, I just want to make sure this is normal? And if so, will it go away? Other than that, God has blessed me and I have had no major complications. Thank you to anyone who can help me out with this....

Karen Swan

I have lost 4 pounds, that is a positive point. BMI now 29...only 50 more to go...lol

Hi, Everyone!

I am wondering about the same kind of pain. I went in for my first fill yesterday, and the PA told me the pain was due to an irritated/bruised xyphoid process---the cartilidge right under the sternum. He said it was probably irrritated during surgery, as the band is right behind it and there's an entry incision right near it. I can feel it, too---it feels like a little hard ball there. It's causing serious pain when I breathe, cough, etc., and it's hard to sleep at night. It's weird because I have not felt this much pain the whole time since surgery, and I haven't thrown up except for the day of my surgery (barium---yuck! smelling warm chicken and ranch dressing on a McD's salad---double yuck!).

I'm on a full liquid diet now for a few days due to my fill, so that'll hopefully help the irritation.

Have any of you experienced this same type of pain? How long does it last?

Michele

I've been asking about this since Tuesday. It feels exactly like a baby gets it's foot stuck in your ribs. I couldn't take a deep breath...couldn't cough.....couldn't sneeze. It hurt soooooo bad. I had accidently swallowed a piece of gum, so I thought I had done it to myself, but now I see it seems fairly normal. Mine is a little better now, but still hurts if messed with..... like sitting on the couch with my side too close to the arm for too long.

You know what I think it might be? I ended up in urgent care a few weeks ago with a tremendous pain, a pain that had slightly shifted along my diaphram. It turned out that I was "backed up." I wonder if the severe Constipation irritated the xyphoid process, and if it is still a factor. I'm going to keep pushing the Water and take Milk of Magnesia/Citracel until this clears up. It was impossible to sleep on my left side last night, and the pain is continually there yet. I will give it a few more days, then see a doctor again if it doesn't go away. This kind of pain is NOT normal! It gives me a new appreciation for breathing normally, though!! I won't take that for granted again........

Michele