Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chest Pain / Vomiting...please Help.

I'll try to make my long story as concise as possible. I had my surgery in January, and was initially filled to 4ccs. After recovering from the surgery itself, I was having moderate ongoing chest pain. It came in waves and was particularly bad at night. I don't think it's reflux. I have had that in the past and know the symptoms. This felt more like the apparatus itself was causing it, due to its position or possibly eroding into my stomach. My doctor felt I was swelling from the surgery and promptly removed all of the Fluid.< /p>

Months passed with no weight loss before I could have my first fill in April. They put in 2ccs, and I felt no restriction whatsoever. I felt no relief from hunger and was very discouraged by this point, and started to gain even more weight. In August they put in another 2ccs. Again, I felt no different than I had before my surgery. High levels of hunger and zero restriction. Then, in October, they added 1cc, putting me at 5ccs total. Here's where things get interesting...

I have been throwing up, a lot. Some days are better than others and I can eat normal sized potions without any issues. Most days, I'm throwing up just about everything from chicken to applesauce. I have even vomited liquids pretty regularly. I'm careful about what I eat. I eat small portions of moist foods and chew VERY well, but it doesn't seem to matter. I would say I have thrown up 75% of everything I've attempted to eat this past month. It sucks, I feel horrid and I'm starving all the time, but I'm finally losing weight, so I dealt with it. I was of course advised to come in as I have been overfilled. But I didn't go in, because I figured that 1cc ago I was seeing no results, and I don't want to move backward. I want to lose weight, and if this is how I need to lose it, so be it.

Two days ago, however, the chest pain resurfaced with a vengeance. I literally feel as though the band is slowly cutting my stomach in half. I just don't know how else to describe it. I haven't been able to sleep or eat. So, of course, I am going in to see my doctor today. I know his first response is going to be to take all of the fluid out of my band, which isn't what I want. I think it would kill any resolve I have left and begin this same useless process all over again. I just want the pain to subside and continue (finally) losing weight. I want this surgery to work for me, but I'm beginning to fear it's never going to.

I just want to know what you guys think, or if anyone has heard of or experienced something like this before. Should I try to push through the pain with medication and hope it's swelling that will eventually subside, or is this completely not normal? It's been almost a year, and I can't seem to lose any weight unless I'm throwing up and in severe pain. I'm wondering if it's time to just give up on the band altogether.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Throwing up a lot isnt really good for you or the band, but i do understand why u are reluctant to let them unfill you too, maybe ask for just .5 mls to be taken out that way u should get some relief from throwing up but also keep some restriction, sometimes even the smallest of fills can make a big difference :)

I cant help u on the chest pain front as i have never experienced any, but u do need to discuss that with your surgeon.

good luck !

The best advice I can give you, go back to your doctor, he knows best. Everone is different, I had to have some Fluid taken out as i also had pain in my chest and could not swollow my saliva. i have a 12cc band and Im 9cc full, still havent reached the green zone.

Dont give up!! you can do this.

Good luck

Don't play around with the chest pain. See your doctor and while you are there have a 12 lead run to check your heart function. This only takes less than a minute to run and the results are available imediately. Throwing up is bad for the body and it gets rid of needed acids in the stomach, burns your esophagus, maybe your trachea and your losing valuable nutrients as well. Please see your physician. They are more trained than we are,(although some aren't as up to date as others). Good luck with this.

You are full!! The chest pain means you are full. You are vomiting because you are full. The new "full" feeling you will experience after sugary feels more like chest pain or air bubbles than the pre surgery full feeling like after a really big thanksgiving dinner. The reason it goes in cycles is because sometimes you are so full it may take a day or 2 for you to be "empty" again. You really should only be eating about 1/2 a cup at a time and listening for the soft cues. Hicc-ups or an air bubble feeling. All of the vomiting is not good for you.

Your best bet is to talk with your surgeron and let them know what amounts you are eating and what foods you are eating. Chances are you are feeling restriction and just don't know it.

I was too full for some time and was vomiting almost every day. At time I could seem to eat a lot especially later in the day. Morning were bad and I almost always vomited. I would scope out the bathroom every time I went out to eat!

I did not go to the Dr due to the cost of the fill. I also had some chest pain and went to my PCP and it was reflux. I went to a support meeting and the Nurse from my Band Dr gave a presentation and scared the crap out of me. He talked about one Lapband woman who ended up with an angioplasty etc. And the problem was the BAND WAS TOO FILLED! So he said when you start having these issues go to the lapband dr. I made an appointment and my lapband dr had now started doing the fills under the Florscope. You actually see the Fluid go through the band! Well I was far too restricted. the more I talked the more he was concerned I ended up with a complete unfill, an appointment with a gastro dr where I had the tube put down. I had some reflux some scar tissue forming inside the pouch etc. ( THIS CAN BECOME CANCER!!!!!!). Was on a short round of steroids, ulcer meds etc. I was lucky and have no issues now and now have about 5cc in a 12 band. I will never get overfilled again! So you are too tight! you may need some more test to rule out an Ulcer but this is serious and can lead to life threatening problems.