Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are all the seniors?

I was banded on March 12' date=' 2012 and just went in for my second fill. I have a 13cc band and so far have 7cc put in. I can sure tell the difference with the second fill.

So far I have lost 24 lbs and feel I should have lost more. The Dr. told me to be patient that the weight will come off and so far I am doing great. Go back for my third fill on June 7th.[/quote']

Good for you! A loss is a loss, right! I was banded July 25, 2012 and have lost 18. I feel exactly the same... WHY haven't I lost more? My doctor said the same as yours. I do think we "oldsters" lose slower because we perhaps have been on various medications for heart OR diabetes problems. Many of these drugs cause weight gains and there isn't much you can do about it, except to lose weight, which is what we are doing now. How many times did you hear ..."you need to lose some weight." Then, they did not tell you how! Your knees hurt, your back aches, your joints creak. Seems like an endless merry-go-round, does it. But, I believe the band is our answer at last. Hang in there!

Angelizz10, good grief 18 lbs since July is fantastic! If you had gained 18 lbs since July you would realize just how much weight you have lost!!! I did not lose but 1-2 lbs the 1st 2 months after surgery. Best wishes to all us "oldsters", just wanted to say "hi" and keep up the great losses. Karen

Thanks you two for all the comments. This is day 3 and I feel good mentally and will be very happy to be rid of the pain! I know it's gas so it will get better!

Thanks you two for all the comments. This is day 3 and I feel good mentally and will be very happy to be rid of the pain! I know it's gas so it will get better!

Ahhhh day three and things will improve dramatically from now on. Everyone said walk, walk, walk and I thought ---sure,sure! But, you know it did! Also IF your constipated get the suppositories to get you past the first week and/or Metamucil . I like the Metamucil Clear & Natural. I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis several years ago after a horrible bout, and this stuff is incredible. Please keep posting so we know how your doing. I am stuck at 18 pound loss for the past month. Discouraging, BUT I look at it as a win, because I didn't gain.

Angelizz10' date=' good grief 18 lbs since July is fantastic! If you had gained 18 lbs since July you would realize just how much weight you have lost!!! I did not lose but 1-2 lbs the 1st 2 months after surgery. Best wishes to all us "oldsters", just wanted to say "hi" and keep up the great losses. Karen[/quote']

Thank you! I just KNEW I was the only one ;))). I appreciate this part of the forum. I'm 69 and ready for a Life. Being overweight is soooo debilitating. Skinny folk have NO clue what we endure.

I am 56 yrs old and I'm going to true tesults in Richardson tx to have mine done in dec 2012 I'm hoping I don't loose my hair or have any complications. I'm very healthy. Except I'm 235 lbs that's not healthy I go in this mon for nutri and psyc eval. Insur requires it.

I'm not real concerned with saggy skin right now. Just more about loosing hair. I plan to eat/ drink plenty of Protein. Any suggestions for THIS NEWBIE?????

I am 56 yrs old and I'm going to true tesults in Richardson tx to have mine done in dec 2012 I'm hoping I don't loose my hair or have any complications. I'm very healthy. Except I'm 235 lbs that's not healthy I go in this mon for nutri and psyc eval. Insur requires it.

I'm not real concerned with saggy skin right now. Just more about loosing hair. I plan to eat/ drink plenty of Protein. Any suggestions for THIS NEWBIE?????

Take your Biotin and your Multi-Vitamins now. Hair loss can be a problem after anestitics.

ok what is Biotin? and is there a certain kind of multi vit i should b taking? i have no idea on what to take,,, im so confused

ok what is Biotin? and is there a certain kind of multi vit i should b taking? i have no idea on what to take' date=',, im so confused [/quote']

I am not sure if Biotin is a mineral or Vitamin? My nutritionist told me about it and I've been on 5,000 MICRO GRAMS for two years. Look it up on Internet and it will give you lots of information and help you decide. It has helped me with my nails which peeled and were thin before I started taking it faithfully once a day. Now, I have nails that are strong and finally have some length to them. If you have surgery soon, get a head start and take generic Vitamin but NOT with Iron. Iron makes you Feel hungary. My Board Certified Internist told me that little gem! Who knew!! There are so many decisions to make so ask questions every single time your with any doctor. Take a list with you, and don't feel embarrassed about doing it like I did. In fact, my internist urged me to bring my list of questions every appointment. Ask what a type of Multi vitamin you should take. The first and second questions they ask you at each weigh in is: Have you been taking your Vitamins and exercising..? If you have time research on the Internet. It's all out there.

thank you angelizz,,, i did call and they told me just an all around good multi Vitamin and Biotin, ,, i went to wal mart and have already started taking them,,, then i called my advocate and she was trhrilled that i was already ahead of the game,,, thanks to all of you for the tips,,, i dont think i would have been told about any of this if not for you guys,,, hahaah just as im typing this my nurtitionilist (spell whowa) just called and told me to take all that too lol,,, and was glad to hear that i dont have to do the straight liquid 2 weeks before surg,,, just have to do the adkins diet 2 weeks before,,,

There are a lot of us over 60 here... I am 63!

thank you angelizz' date=',, i did call and they told me just an all around good multi Vitamin and Biotin,,, i went to wal mart and have already started taking them,,, then i called my advocate and she was trhrilled that i was already ahead of the game,,, thanks to all of you for the tips,,, i dont think i would have been told about any of this if not for you guys,,, hahaah just as im typing this my nurtitionilist (spell whowa) just called and told me to take all that too lol,,, and was glad to hear that i dont have to do the straight liquid 2 weeks before surg,,, just have to do the adkins diet 2 weeks before,,,[/quote']

Good good good! You are well ahead of the whole thing. I, too, did Atkins and it was way easier than the liquid stuff. That would be very hard for me. Atkins, basically gets you off SUGAR. After surgery 1st week, had to do clear liquid, making sure to get in Protein, which I drank one bottle of Isopure, Grape Frost, daily which has zero carbs and 40 grams of Protein, over lots of ice. This high Protein Drink isn't so sweet. I hate milk and it is hard to find something not milk based. I believe I found this at drug store and also at commissary. BUT, after one week on clear liquid my doctor told me get off the Protein drinks altogether. Thank goodness because I, personally don't like any of them very much. The Isopure was the only one I could get down. After a fill, I go on Soup for next 24hrs. And have had no problems. Good luck and let us all know how your doing. Remember, everyone is different, and everyone loses at different rates. I was banded July 25th, 2012, went on a 2week cruise, didn't gain!... Down 24 Lbs and am happy with that.

I am 69 and am scheduled to see my Dr. on Tuesday! Can anyone tell me how long the pre-op diet is? Does it depend on how much you weight or just when the Dr. can schedule your surgery? I have read enough that I know the liver has so shrink to a certain point. I'm from Tulsa, Ok and going to Dr. JoeBob Kirk in Owasso at the Bailey Medical Center.

Hi, bojangles0, Pre-diet does not ,usually, depend on your weight. I would never say never, because surgeons are different everywhere.Not all surgeons even require the pre-diet shrinking of the liver. However, most are about 2 weeks. Mine was 2 weeks of Protein Shakes. Other people, I know, have had only to eat Atkins diets. Best of luck, follow your surgeon's rules. Join us here, we are friendly, if not very active! Karen

I'm way over "39" and had lapband surgery on Aug 6, 2012. I'm down 84 pounds so far!