Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Throwing Up Black Watery

Had my lapband in July, got to my sweet spot in January. Doing great. A few months ago got sick and had a lot of phlegm and drainage. Had one cc taken out and was better for a few days. Now have started throwing up black watery liquid. What is it??

It could be bile. I would give the doc a call because it could be a sign of Gastrointestinal bleeding. Which could be nothing as they can heal on there own but I wouldn't chance it with have a band in.

Hope you feel better soon. ( my info is from what a friend went through)

~Kris

Bile is yellow. But black stuff could be blood, blood that is somewhat digested looks black, I would be worried about an ulcer too, I would see your doctor. If it is an ulcer and it gets bad enough it could perforate your stomach. So I wod see the doc sooner rather than later

Eeek! :o Not good at all! I agree with Jess55 sounds like blood, all of the gi bleeds I've seen as a nurse people throw up black liquid. Call your doc ASAP, even though it's a holiday. This is not something you want to sit on... Please update us and let us know if your okay and what you doc says.

Throwing up black is a symptom of a bleeding ulcer. I agree with the above posters. You need to be seen by a doc. Here is a sample of info you can find on the web:

The symptoms of a bleeding ulcer</FONT>

If any of the following symptoms of a bleeding ulcer present themselves, we urge you to move swiftly towards getting treatment, and make sure you tell your doctor about all the symptoms you have.

• The passing of foul smelling black, tarry stools could be one of the first symptoms of a gastric ulcer or a duodenal ulcer that has started bleeding
  • dark red blood in your stools
  • If your ulcer is already at an advanced stage then repeated and different signs of bleeding can be identified.
  • Vomiting of new blood which is bright red in color - this indicates that a gastric ulcer has started bleeding. This will be accompanied by repeated episodes of nausea.
  • Vomiting dark and grainy blood that looks like instant coffee granules. The dark color indicates that this is old blood.
  • unplanned weight loss
  • intense and more localized pain in people with penetrating ulcers - the pain may also radiate to your back
  • faintness and dizziness when standing up - this is due to loss of blood. Over a long period of time, you may become anemic and feel weak, dizzy, or tired all the time. This is typical of a slow bleed left untreated.

REMEMBER if you have been diagnosed with a bleeding ulcer or even if you have the slightest suspicion that you are bleeding from an ulcer, please do not hesitate to get emergency medical treatment right away!

I was throwing up some nasty black looking liquid... I was in the emergency room for throwing up so much ... Come to find out it was galls tones... After the ultrasound to diagnose it and after all the pressing and moving of the gall bladder the guy did i threw up TONS of black nasty looking mess... the dr told me it was bile... then I had to have my gallbladder removed a week later :/ This was all in the past 3 weeks... I go for my 2 week post op this thursday

Thanks so very much,.good to know I am not alone.

It could be bile. I would give the doc a call because it could be a sign of Gastrointestinal bleeding. Which could be nothing as they can heal on there own but I wouldn't chance it with have a band in.

Hope you feel better soon. ( my info is from what a friend went through)

~Kris

Thank you everyone. I also did not mention that I have been VERY constipated for a few weeks now. Have done laxatives, Fiber and even suppositories. I am going to dr. in the morning (really ER) will let you all know what the diagnosis is.

Had my gall bladder removed before my lapband, so will have to wait and see what it is. Thanks so much.

I was throwing up some nasty black looking liquid... I was in the emergency room for throwing up so much ... Come to find out it was galls tones... After the ultrasound to diagnose it and after all the pressing and moving of the gall bladder the guy did i threw up TONS of black nasty looking mess... the dr told me it was bile... then I had to have my gallbladder removed a week later :/ This was all in the past 3 weeks... I go for my 2 week post op this thursday

You need to see your Doctor. Make a list of what you want to tell him # each question, and just give it to him, and tell him you keep forgetting to ask. He'll understand, that happens all the time, and he should write the answers down so you know. Thats what I did, He was very glad that I took the time to bother.