Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

CONSTIPATION

Views
Started by MR P, Apr 30, 2011 5:21 PM
10 replies to this topic
10 replies to this topic

MR P

Advanced Member

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
Posted April 30, 2011 - 5:21 PM

Thanks to all of you for your responses on my indigestion issues. What i am discovering is that the indigestion is worse on the days that I am constipated. Vitamin D is part of our vitamin regimen. Every time I take D, it constipates me. When I experiment and don't take it, things are fine. When I resume, the constipation is back. I've told the doctors this and they think I'm crazy. Now no D and Magnesium Citrate almost daily. Does anyone else experience constipation issues? I did have acid reflux prior and when I eat, I can get a good indication from the first bite of what is going to happen with my food. When I have a good bowel movement, the indigestion is minimal. I can feel the urge to move bowels as I am eating (which I am not so certain is good either). But on the days when I am not having bowel movements, I vomit profusely. When indigestion is onset, it is minimized if I stand. Does this sound like some sort of blockage? Thanks in advance!

Humming Bird

Normal BMI !!

• Surgeon: Gerald Kirshenbaum
  • Surgery Date: Jul 2009
  • Height: 5 feet 7 inches
  • Starting Weight: 264
  • Weight Lost: 107
  • Current Weight: 157
  • Goal Weight: 155
  • BMI: 24.6
  • My Blogs
Posted April 30, 2011 - 5:34 PM

Taking Vitafusion fiber gummies daily has been the solution for me. (Target)

MR P

Advanced Member

Posted April 30, 2011 - 6:21 PM

Thanks Hummingbird, good to hear from you again. But when you were constipated did you have indigestion/vomiting issues?

MarcyLoo

Junior Guru

Posted April 30, 2011 - 7:00 PM

If you're vomiting often and having acid reflux, it sounds like you may need an unfill?

It's normal to feel the urge to go poo when you eat. Putting food in your mouth triggers the entire digestive tract to start "moving." So, if there's poo far enough down to cause you to feel an urge it can be easily triggered by eating.

Are you getting enough fiber & water (64+ ounces) in your diet? Both will help with constipation. If you're not tolerating fibrous veggies, try an over the counter fiber product like benefiber or metamucil.

Humming Bird

Normal BMI !!

• My Blogs
Posted April 30, 2011 - 7:33 PM

Thanks Hummingbird, good to hear from you again. But when you were constipated did you have indigestion/vomiting issues?

No, I've never had all those related to each other. If you have reflux when you are sleeping it's a sure sign of being too tight. Other than that, you may be eating food you can no longer tolerate or not chewing enough. If you have already tried staying away from the foods known to give many bandsters trouble and you are sure you are not eating too much and chewing well, you may just be too tight. Make sure you know your full signal and stop eating when you get the signal even if there is only one bite left on the plate. The constipation may just be making your entire digestive system more sensitive to everything. If it were me I would treat it as 2 problems.
Get the constipation under control because for most/many bandsters it will always be an issue. This is true if you are too tight or even at your sweet spot.

MR P

Advanced Member

Posted April 30, 2011 - 7:36 PM

I've dealt with reflux for God knows how many years now. So it was prior to the band. Going in for an endoscopy this week.

No, I've never had all those related to each other. If you have reflux when you are sleeping it's a sure sign of being too tight. Other than that, you may be eating food you can no longer tolerate or not chewing enough. If you have already tried staying away from the foods known to give many bandsters trouble and you are sure you are not eating too much and chewing well, you may just be too tight.

Humming Bird

Normal BMI !!

• My Blogs
Posted April 30, 2011 - 8:00 PM

Well, I hope all goes well and they figure it out for you. Go get the Vitafusion brand fiber gummies at Target and eat 2 every day. At least it's a tasty way to stay regular at the other end :)

mominoc

Expert Member

• Surgeon: Mir Ali
  • Surgery Date: Feb 2011
Posted May 5, 2011 - 7:04 AM

I've got to get these gummies! Thanks

kalamitykel

Intermediate Member

Posted May 7, 2011 - 8:45 PM

I have had constipation, and am having a little heartburn, not severe, but iritating. For the constipation I put some benefiber in with my water and crystal lite. It is tasteless and i am good with that. Kelley

MR P

Advanced Member

Posted May 7, 2011 - 9:14 PM

Thanks Kelly!

I have had constipation, and am having a little heartburn, not severe, but iritating. For the constipation I put some benefiber in with my water and crystal lite. It is tasteless and i am good with that. Kelley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Featured Surgeons

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      Sep 22
    pupichupi

2 more lbs to my next goal of 210!!!

Show comments (3)
  • Photo
      Sep 22
    RJ'S/beginning

Tomorrow is surgeon for repair of bed sore area. Wed. Scope! Thursday pla...

Show comments (7)
  • Photo
      Sep 22
    npurdy6

Does anybody know if there is ever any complications with the titanium staple...

Show comments (4)
View All Updates