Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you feel about a mosque at "Ground Zero"?

Id love to know where you reside. Cause it certainly isnt from New York. And you are quite the obessive one about this topic. The media can do what they want about this. If they exploit the story, they are fools. But for you to think you understand our emotions and how personal it is to us, you are an idiot.

Oh, I know - only you smart New York people can get a handle on this controversy. Boo hoo. I might have to walk past a community center that has worship sites for several religions, a swimming pool, a library, a theatre, etc..and it's - horror - two blocks away from ground zero and blocked by other buildings. But of course none of this has anything to do with hatred of all Muslims. :thumbup:

One thing I got out of this rant and obsessive posting of yours is that shallow morons can get the LAP-BAND® too.

I guess that's why you'll be getting one.

I thought you were done posting on here? I knew you'd be back. And your name calling? Well I will use the words of an idiot (president) - bring it on. If you've read my posts on here you would know that I believe that when people attack me personally that means they've got NOTHING. Just like you.

Cleo's Mom and BJean..........my two favourite shallow morons! :wub:

Really? If you believe that then why the ":lol:" ?

Isn't it about time to shut this thread down? Or is that just an option for the conservatives who can't take the heat and begin the name calling? Oh wait, we haven't responded in kind so I guess this thread is still alive since the name calling is only going against the progressives. That's always fair game. It's when we get personal in our responses that they can't take it.

Really? If you believe that then why the ":lol:" ?

Isn't it about time to shut this thread down? Or is that just an option for the conservatives who can't take the heat and begin the name calling? Oh wait, we haven't responded in kind so I guess this thread is still alive since the name calling is only going against the progressives. That's always fair game. It's when we get personal in our responses that they can't take it.

You know what I've always said when the posts get personal. It's because they have nothing to back up their emotional rants and opinions. We have the facts and that frustrates them so they have to resort to name calling. That's when I know I've been successful and hit my target.

And BTW - just one more thing to add to this debate: There was a mosque on the 17th floor of the south tower of the World Trade Center. Muslims gathered there for their daily prayers. So a mosque in the towers is okay but not two blocks away.

Crap, I'm sorry you guys. It just seemed that he was referring to you both with that comment and it almost made me guffaw my coffee out my nose. You two post the most consistently sensible and well thought out posts and I'm sure anyone who disagrees with you could call you any number of things, but this just seemed so far of the mark that I found it hilarious.

It really, really was tongue in cheek and I'm sorry it was taken in a way I didn't intend.

I THOUGHT I knew you better than that! I'm ultra sensative after having to deal with all that crapoleum from patty.

I always knew you to be one of the most level headed and bright folks on these boards, Devana! Thanks for the remark and I'm very glad I haven't fallen into disfavor with you because I value your opinoin - a lot!

Crap, I'm sorry you guys. It just seemed that he was referring to you both with that comment and it almost made me guffaw my coffee out my nose. You two post the most consistently sensible and well thought out posts and I'm sure anyone who disagrees with you could call you any number of things, but this just seemed so far of the mark that I found it hilarious.

It really, really was tongue in cheek and I'm sorry it was taken in a way I didn't intend.

Thanks, Devana. I always enjoy your posts. They are intelligent and well written. You should come on more often. We need more voices of reason.

I feel like a sap assuming Devana (of all people!) would give Cleo's and me a hard time. You know what they say, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean... :-)

Well, sometimes I just run off at the mouth without stopping to think how it will be taken.

Anyway, I'm back.........after an insanely busy summer. Last weekend was the first time I've had to myself in months and I did nothing. What luxury.

I sometimes feel out of my depth with American politics. I know what I see but there is an awful lot I don't understand. What I'm afraid of is the US squandering it's "greatest nation on earth" status. Perhaps it's the natural order of things, like the rise and fall of the Roman Empire or "the sun never sets on the British Empire." Maybe it's China's turn. And why does that frighten me?

Devana I think you have a better grasp of United States politics than most of us do. I do think that the U.S. is on the decline in a big, big way. And we're not very different from the Roman Senators overindulging in every way possible. We're greedy, we're dishonest and we're disrespectful of other countries. And we probably deserve whatever is in store for us.

China has worked hard and been really smart. It wouldn't surprise me if very soon they are the dominant force in our universe. In fact, I think it might already be happening.

And we're working so hard to acquire money and crap, we're oblivious for the most part.

Devana I think you have a better grasp of United States politics than most of us do. I do think that the U.S. is on the decline in a big, big way. And we're not very different from the Roman Senators overindulging in every way possible. We're greedy, we're dishonest and we're disrespectful of other countries. And we probably deserve whatever is in store for us.

China has worked hard and been really smart. It wouldn't surprise me if very soon they are the dominant force in our universe. In fact, I think it might already be happening.

And we're working so hard to acquire money and crap, we're oblivious for the most part.

I agree with much of what you said, especially about us being greedy and dishonest, and it definitely goes for both sides of the aisle. Something needs to change, and it may already be too late. What I don't agree with is the China statement. While China is emerging as a super power I don't think they will take over as "the" super power that we once were, the Roman's were that the British empire was for a long time. China is a very strange country in that while many people live well in that country and much of it is very nice comparing to the US in many ways, there are still over 100 million people living in poverty in the country. Loose statistics show about 10% living in poverty and with a population of over 1.5 billion, you do the math, thats a lot of people. Many are put in labor camps similar to what the nazi's did. However thats not to say that there isn't great things happening in that country and they are on the upswing, only 5 or 6 years ago that number was over 500 million. They remind me of the US about 250 years ago. I think we will go along time without a defined super power, we have many nations that are emerging as great, China, India, Israel, etc. and we aren't completely out of it yet.

Of course China has some inescapable problems but who would have thought 30 years ago that they would be in the position they are today? Most of us thought it would be impossible. We would never have dreamed that China would be loaning us money to fund a war. Most of us would never have dreamed that so many (possibly MOST) of our material goods would be manufactured in China today. And we wouldn't have thought that China would have the capability forge such a powerful relationship with some of our enemies.

Our corporate greed has driven this. And their need to overcome their problems has driven them. So don't under estimate the power of China.

I know we're not out of the game yet. We have a president that I hope will lead us out of this crisis that we're in. He has the heart and the intelligence but he sure can't do it alone. And the Republicans have been fighting him on every front. Until Americans unite for a better America, instead of fighting among ourselves, we will continue to empower other countries and degrade our own. If you don't find this a scary scenario, I'd be willing to bet you've joined the tea party movement. Because as far as I'm concerned, greed and arrogance is driving the tea party movement.

Wow.

Since all Muslims are evil, they should not be allowed to build their mosque blocks away from GZ?!?! Do y'all hear yourselves?! Oy.

Wasn't the US built on religious freedom? I am an atheist and I couldn't give a crap less about this. If they have the money and are within all the laws/building codes/etc., let them build.

People get SO offended by Muslims (because they are all terrorists). :blushing: Um...how many people have died in the name of Christianity, and yet there are churches every damn place I look...

What a bunch of hypocrites. Your religion is not better than my religion. Get a clue already and stop being so scared of everyone who thinks differently than you do.

ardelia, for sure that America has our home grown own brand of terrorists. We just like to put them in a bracket all by themselves. We call them kooks or crazies. We would never admit that the Bible thumping and the hell, fire and brimstone preaching they've heard all their lives has influenced them to have such a religious frenzy built up that they would bring down a building in Oklahoma City. No, for us, it's never about religion. They're just crazies.

But for terrorists who also happen to praise Allah and carry a Koran, they're Muslim terrorists who aren't crazy, they're influenced by their religion. So we believe we should fear and shun all Muslims.

Sometimes we Americans can be very naive and very ignorant.

As for a mosque at ground zero, that's been proven to be an incorrect and inflammatory phrase: "mosque at ground zero."

It is basically a non-issue manufactured to throw Americans into a tizzy in an effort to divert the attention away from some of the real issues. It's the kind of thing that helped forge the tea party movement. It's so much easier to jump on a bandwagon of outrage, especially when times are bad, than to work with your opponents to fix very difficult problems.