Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Freaking Out A Little...HELP!

I just need one question answered that has been freaking me out for the past couple of days. I was watching someone's videos on Youtube that got the Lapband. This particular woman went and talked to her doctor about why she wasn't feeling satisfied after she ate and was still hungry. Her doctor told her that the purpose of the band was not to make you full or "satisfied" faster, but the band is used to create pain when you are getting to the point of eating too much as a "reminder" that you need to stop eating.

What I want to know is: Is this true? I thought the point of the band was to make you feel full sooner and keep you from being hungry for 4-5 hours, not something that will cause me pain so I know when to stop eating and am hungry again an hour later. I know that I will struggle with hunger until I find my sweet spot, but what happens when I get there? I am getting nervous because if the point of the band is to cause pain and not help with hunger, then the band may not be for me. Please help! :w00t:

I have great restriction now, and the only time I feel even the slightest discomfort is when I've eaten too fast or something that doesn't exactly agree with my band. My doctor is very strict about staying with solid 1/2 cup meals (different doctors have different meal requirements though), and I stop when I've eaten 1/2 cup, not because of any type of pain restriction. I'm satisfied for around four hours, as long as I'm getting my liquids in between meals as I'm supposed to. If I ate to the point of pain, I'd be overeating, and I'd be worried about harming my band. I'm sure if you talk to your doctor, he could reassure you that this Youtube doctor is not describing accurately the way the band should work. At least that hasn't been my experience, nor was it the way it was explained to me.

Edited by kiz

That is the first time that I've heard of anything like that. It seems a little crazy to me. Maybe the doctor just plays one on T.V., you know? Everything that I've heard from my doctor and his office so far, NOTHING like that. I've heard about the same that kiz said they've heard. Seems odd to me. Eat until there's pain and then stop? Yeah, I don't think so!

I agree with Kiz, it is not really pain just discomfort.For me when the first belch comes up then i am done and it takes about 1/2 cup of food for that to happen. I also stay full for 4-5 hrs. I just got my best fill last week, i am at 6cc in a 10cc band and the restriction is major.Hope this helps and i think that dr on tv is WAY wrong.

Sometimes I think it is better not to search the internet! I read things all the time about lap-bands and some information is useful and informative and some is not. Just because you see it of hear it does not make it true.

I do know that some people experience some pain but I do not think that pain is used as a tool in lap-banding!

You may experience hunger until you have an effective fill. I have had one fill so far and I do feel hungry. I can also eat more than I want to be eating. I am hoping for better restriction after my next fill. The band doesn't lose the weight, - you have to work with it, - and sometimes that means patience, - something I need more of!

Good Luck!

Don't freak out!

I am about 6 weeks post op and I have only felt pain once, and that was not from overeating, it was from eating way too quickly. I knew it was too fast but I was in a hurry and did it anyway, won't do that again too soon. I normally eat faster than I should be and I have definatly been eating more than I should, but I am very careful about what I eat. I have lost 25lbs in 6 weeks with no pain and I have not had a fill yet, hoping to get one next week so I can cut back a little on the amount I am eating, but no pain and I'm not hungry normally for 4 or 5 hrs at a time. good luck and like the other member said, dont believe everything on the net.

I think the reality is somewhat between the two scenarios.

In an *ideal* world we'd all eat completely sensibly and never have pain. But all of us who have developed severe enough weight problems to warrant surgery are bound to struggle with the boundaries at times and will feel the pain of overdoing things.

it will happen. Negative reinforcement is a big part of why the band worksn - but its certainly not the whole point of the band which is indeed to make you feel fuller faster. The trick is to avoid it for the most part.