Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

banding and menapause

:redface:anyone in menapause and suddenly having a problem with hormonal imbalance. If so did it increase your appetite?

JM

Yes, yes and yes. :tongue2: I'm experiencing terrible Water retention (swell legs and all). I don't know what to expect from one day to the next. The carb cravings are also a problem. I have an doctor's appointment next week, hopefully I get some hormone therapy and it helps.

I don't have my band, yet. But I started menopause this year. I am not happy about that! Feel like shit most days---I'm losing hair, have lots of nausea and hot flashes, drop in libido, plus a very bad mood hangs over me like a cloud. There are also a host of other weird problems that come with it. I had a pain under my left ribs that I thought might be a hernia. Turns out it's another weird Meno side-effect that other women online have experienced.

I am hoping that losing weight will actually help regulate my hormones. I have had PCOS for years. I was on bio-identical hormones for most of this year and they really help. I am just behind on my prescription because I haven't had the money to pick it up. I highly recommend them---and some good antidepressants to help get you through this nonsense.

Yes my doctor told me I was pre menopausal before my lap band. My periods are VERY irregular and bad.....very heavy and often. I have had all of the tests and biopsy's to rule out real problems it's just menopause for me. It does effect my eating for sure. I crave sweets and carbs just before my period however the "hunger" seems to have passed after my 3rd fill. I am at 5.5 in a 10cc band and I feel tight about 70% of the time.

hello everyone when I went to my heart doctor she told me that I was pre menopausal and I know what really put me in that state,About 3 Yrs I went to my GYN and she ask me several question about my cycle and I told her honestly I was having bad ones and we schedule this procedure called NOVASURE you can look it up and ask your doctor about the bad peroids(bleeding) that you have and my heart doctor that reconized that I was in that condition,she told me to take 50mg of vitman b6 and after about 2 or 3 months It really helped with the mood swings and the hot flashes stopped,,,just check it out.....it wont hurt anything to look...go to www.novasure.com,,,,i havn't had a peroid in 3 yrs sence I've had the surgery.....camille01

Hallelujah for this thread! I was banded in March 2009. In November 2009 I noted my weight loss slowed. I am on Depo injections so don't get a period. Anyway it wasn't until Sept 2010 that I realized I am in perimenopause - hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, irritability, trouble concentrating, you name it. I have had some deaths in the family so I thought some of my symptoms were related to that. I am now on an antidepressant and for the most part am comfortable with my weight where it is, but I really want to try to maintain and not gain at this point. I never thought entering menopause would take me for such a ride. I think I would have been able to handle it or the grieving process along, but together it has been crazy. Thanks for starting this thread!

@Ladybug5

I too am peri menopausal. I'm going to be 2 years post op come April and I can tell you the last 6 months have been miserable. Night sweats, terrible periods, and acne like I was 14 again! I was put on birth control to help with my periods because I've had 2 D&C's and both results were normal. No endometriosis. So the pill has started to help, but I noticed that I'm now gaining weight and I'm going back to my doc in a few weeks. Hopefully they can figure out how to get me back on track. I've lost a total of 60 pounds, but have at least 40 more that I could really lose. Good luck everyone...nice to know I'm not alone!

I just got a reply to this topic in my email and thought I would update you. I just found out this week that I was NOT in menopause after all. Turns out, my Mirena implant affected my hormones and mimicked the signs of menopause. I still have had a period in a couple of years and I was FINE with that. But, this means I have to go through menopause all over again some time in the future! Ugh. For those of you going through it, hang in there.

I had a very brutal radiation induced menopause last year - i had rectal cancer. It has been beyond horrendous. Ive had hot flashes, depression (to the point of suicidal thoughts), panic attacks and extreme fatigue and lethargy. I got extremely thin following my bowel resection and have regained about 15 lb over the last year and am still very thin, but ive really noticed the change in my body. I can literally feel my strength and endurance draining away by the week ( i was extremely fit, still am, just less than normal for me), i have definitely lst muscle and gained abdominl fat. I can barely be allowed out of the house on my own, i lose my car constantly at the shops, or will be out driving and forget where Im going, etc. But the worst has been INSANE sugar cravings, my body is literally screaming for energy. I strted HRT two months ago and am seeing a psychologist, but Im also about to start testosterone therapy (very l levels) and my doc says thats fantastic for mood, lethargy, fuzzy headedness and libido - did i mention i ave no libido at all and even when i force myself it just doesnt really feel that good anymore.

Menopause is a BIG deal for women, its mo laughing matter.

I am premenopause but doing ok. I got a Minerna IUD that releases hormones naturally this has really helped. A lot of menopause women are getthing them for the hormones. Google and read about it as you might want to discuss with your doctor. Www.mirena-us.com I suffered from brutal periods, migraines... No more! The only thing i really suffer is from is non stop pimples now. Good luck!

Im reporting back in to say hrt helped me a lot but the testosterone has been AMAZING. Muscle tone and fitness restored, libido restored, having the most intense sex of my life, mood up, energy up and aching fingers (weird huh) gone.

Please dont stop at estrogen/progesterone replacement, get your tetostetone levels checked too.

Think I'll have to look into that