Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any January 2010 Bandsters????

Cherie

Speaking of insurance... I looked at all of my bills... ok.. ready for this...my out of pocket total.. start to finish....with deductibles.. cost share...everything....$1495

I am happy about that.. now.. the bill wasn't as much as yours... wow.. 70K.....my was about 30K for the hospital and 6k for the doc.. so 36k for those two elements.. now my insurance, Tricare, has a lower approved amount of payment.. so the amount paid is way lower than that...

But all in all.. I am very happy about this....THANK GOD the money part is over and paid for.. now I don't have to worry about that...

Keep us posted Cherie when you get yours resolved.. I think others may have a similiar experience...

HANG IN THERE EVERYONE!!

Hi everybody,

I wanted to check in here with you all and put out a question to anyone that would like to answer.

I'm trying to set some reasonable goals pertaining to the scale. I have other non scale goals set already which I'm doing great with. However, I'm horrible with setting goals for weight loss. I always over estimate and then feel bad for a day or two if I don't meet them.

So I'm looking for a good solid approach to setting some shorter term (1-month, 2 month, holiday target etc...) weight goals.

How are you all doing it? I'd love to hear!

Thanks!

Claricey

HEY GROUP!!!

Got on the scale this morning, and I am now down 32 pounds since my surgery on January 12. This is by far the fastest I've ever lost weight. But the most exciting part is that I believe with the band I'm done with yo-yo dieting (lose 20, gain 25, yeah we've all been there) because I have a tool to keep me on track. Some days I realize how easy it would be to "eat around the band" but I don't choose to do it. I do agree with everyone who has pointed out how wrong people are when they think we've taken the "easy way out" to lose weight. HA. It is work and vigilence and mostly awareness every single day.

Oddly last night when I tried to eat a Greek salad with chicken on top, I took like four bites -- felt fine -- then suddenly -- serious pain, stuck, yuck -- slimed like 6 times before all was said and done. I've been eating this type of food for a long time now. And yeah, I chewed and chewed...so I have no clue why...

So group, what's the latest on ya'll??

SURGERY: JAN 12, 2010

STARTING WEIGHT: 255

TODAY: MARCH 26

WEIGHT TODAY: 223

LOSS TO DATE: 32 POUNDS:biggrin:

WEIGHT LOSS TO GOAL: 63

Cherie

Speaking of insurance... I looked at all of my bills... ok.. ready for this...my out of pocket total.. start to finish....with deductibles.. cost share...everything....$1495

I am happy about that.. now.. the bill wasn't as much as yours... wow.. 70K.....my was about 30K for the hospital and 6k for the doc.. so 36k for those two elements.. now my insurance, Tricare, has a lower approved amount of payment.. so the amount paid is way lower than that...

But all in all.. I am very happy about this....THANK GOD the money part is over and paid for.. now I don't have to worry about that...

I'll see my surgeon next Tuesday and will ask about this ridiculous bill. I was told my insurance approved my surgery and was NEVER told there would be additional hospital bills. Is anyone else in this position? I certainly intend to fight it!!! It seems to me thar when I was getting all my paperwork in, and submitting to my insurance, that my surgeon or someone had the responsibility to say: Oh, by the by, you will incur an additional cost of a zillion dollars that no one is going to cover, so don't let that insurance approval fool you. Would so appreciate hearing from anyone else going through this...

Cherie

So group, what's the latest on ya'll??

SURGERY: JAN 12, 2010

STARTING WEIGHT: 255

WEIGHT TODAY: 223

LOSS TO DATE: 32 POUNDS:biggrin:

WEIGHT LOSS TO GOAL: 63

Good for you, CherieLynne! I relate to what you have said. I just got my second fill yesterday, and have that swollen restriction (not true restriction), but most days I can eat and eat if I wanted to, since there is no effective restriction yet. It's all a matter of willpower and commitment to MYSELF!

My stats:

SURGERY: JAN 20, 2010

STARTING WEIGHT: 197

WEIGHT TODAY: 172

LOSS TO DATE: 25 POUNDS :tt1:

WEIGHT LOSS TO GOAL: 55

I had my first fill 4 weeks ago and lost 10 lbs during those 4 weeks for a total of 28.4 pounds lost since I went on the liquid diet January 5 (my surgery date was January 19). I was told by the nutritionist I can start adding foods but when I tried cantelope, tiny pieces, it gave me too much gas and felt stuck. The nutritionist told me to remember to sit up straight when eating to help prevent anything from getting stuck. I haven't tried salad yet but nuts and cantelope do not like me yet. Other than that everything is fine. Oh and I have lost a total of 16 inches since before the surgery!

hi all.

i had my band fitted on the 9th jan and have lost 30 pound. i really enjoy having it most of the time. i am eating just about all i want now. really enjoying eating meat again.

i had my first fill on the 27th of feb and found the following two weeks really hard. one day i could eat what i like the next nothing would go down now all of a sudden it is all fine. the only time i strugled was when i had a treat of fish and chips. i really cant handle batter.

my next fill is coming up this week and i cant wait.

good luck to all and keep up the good work.

matt

Hi Group - I just found this thread. I usually hang out on the Kaiser Richmond PreOp thread since all the folks there were banded (or sleeved) at Kaiser Richmond California.

I was banded 1/26/2010. Have lost about 58lbs total with 21 of those post band. My surgeon doesn't do first fill until 3 months post surgery. She says she put in about 4ccs at Surgery. I am having a hard time how as I don't feel much restriction and am eating more than I am suppose to, although it isn't a ton. Our guidelines are about 1/2 cup of food (1/3 of dense Protein plus a little veggie or fruit and a tiny amount of carb). I worry about stretching my pouch / slipping my band because of eating more than I should but I am hungry (and I know some of my eating is stress related.) Anyone else going through this? People on my other thread say this what is meant by 'bandster hell'!

Cherie

I'll see my surgeon next Tuesday and will ask about this ridiculous bill. I was told my insurance approved my surgery and was NEVER told there would be additional hospital bills. Is anyone else in this position? I certainly intend to fight it!!! It seems to me thar when I was getting all my paperwork in, and submitting to my insurance, that my surgeon or someone had the responsibility to say: Oh, by the by, you will incur an additional cost of a zillion dollars that no one is going to cover, so don't let that insurance approval fool you. Would so appreciate hearing from anyone else going through this...

Cherie

I just received all my bills. The radiologist, hospital,and the anesthesiologist sent them. They total 3000--was not prepared that I would have to pay that much out of pocket!:tt1: Yes, it would have been wonderful for some to say oh this amount is not covered!:eek:

OK Gang..

Just had my second fill and IT IS WORKING!!!!! everytime I get a fill I have to learn to eat again.. what will work.. what won't work:):o sometimes the hard way...

I get full fast.. rather I find that at a certain point.. I CANT eat anymore... it sits there and I feel it....

I had chicken salad on Friday.. the first two tablespoons were fine.. the second two.. I didn't realize until it was already down and sitting there like a lump...

I am grateful for that though.. It makes me "think" about how and what I am eating.. just since last week I am cutting certain food out...

Like before this fill I could eat bread.. slowly.. now.. not at all...soup and mushy is my friend... anything else has to have concentration...

This is the best tool I ever had.. in the last two weeks I only lost two pounds because the restriction was not there... now.. it is working so I suspect the next two weeks will be a good showing...

However, I am fine with two pounds in two weeks.. as long as it is in the right direction.. I am fine with that...

I love reading how everyone is doing... keep it up... I always need some great help.. being a single mom.. the support structure just isn't there....

Thanks everyone...

Jennifer

OK... NSV's thus far...

This morning.. I am a 1/4 way to my goal and 1/2 way to my first mini goal

I am gradually putting away one piece of clothes to never wear again in the goodwill box....

I am gradually pulling out of the closet a few clothes I haven't been able to wear in a while....

What are yours?

Had my monthly appointment with my surgeon today. According to their scale I lost 14 pounds since last month. Woo! (I want their scale at home, I only lost 9 according to mine!) I didn't get a fill today. So far, no fill and have lost 20 pounds since surgery, 39 since start of pre-op liquid diet. Only 50-ish left to go!

I've been blessed with not being hungry. I still crave bad for me food all the damn time, but I don't have the physical hunger anymore. If I keep myself busy I can usually ignore the craving long enough that it goes away or I just forget about it! That has to be my favorite part of having my band!

NSV's - I'm wearing size 14 jeans, training for a 5K, am able to shop in normal stores, can run up the stairs without my legs collapsing/lungs gasping, and best of all - I have collar bones and hip bones for the first time in my adult life!!!

Life is definitely good! :)

Czynth -- you're doing great! Keep it up! :-)

Today (I shouldn't have stepped on the scale, I know -- I do that too much, nearly every day) my weight is up 3 pounds. I am hoping it's due to oncoming TOM, but it's still something that I'm inordinately upset about. I know I should just let it roll off my back -- I know! It's only three pounds in the scheme of things, but argh!

I am so anxiously awaiting my third fill in three weeks. I have not yet experienced anything (other than what must be swelling) resembling restriction and I'm doing everything here through sheer willpower.

I'm struggling, but I know that this, too, shall pass. I keep repeating that to myself. OVER AND OVER. Heh. We can do this!

Wisconsin Jen--great NSV's

Mine are:

--Packing up winter clothes and giving them away as I will not be able to wear then

--putting the scale away for awhile--it is like crack:biggrin::)

--husband saying--you are getting so streamlined

Cynth--congratulations

Czynth -- you're doing great! Keep it up! :-)

Today (I shouldn't have stepped on the scale, I know -- I do that too much, nearly every day) my weight is up 3 pounds. I am hoping it's due to oncoming TOM, but it's still something that I'm inordinately upset about. I know I should just let it roll off my back -- I know! It's only three pounds in the scheme of things, but argh!

I know how you feel about gaining even a small amount of weight! I gained 2 pounds after starting running and then it stuck around for 2 weeks! Even with working out 6 days a week and eating "right" 90% of the time... mildly frustrating! Just remember we have our bands and this is a life long journey... The weight WILL come off!