Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any January 2010 Bandsters????

Hey everyone!! Well I had my post-op appointment today and I've lost 35.4 lbs!! My doctor was so excited and very proud of me!! He also did my first fill (2cc's) and I go back in 2 weeks and if everything is going fine then he will do another fill. I graduated to pureed/mushies so now I am trying to decided what I want for dinner....Oh the choices!! :)

Awesome weight loss, congrats!! :)

Hi All -- wanted to share my band update! Had my first fill a few days ago and I can't feel it at all. I get my next fill Feb. 15 -- fortunately for me my doc is willing to do fills every two weeks. The fill experience was kinda out there...first they press on the port really hard and that actually hurt. Then a shot of novacaine which didn't hurt at all. Then the needle in to do the fill. Then they had me sit up with the needle sticking out of me and had me drink three "normal" swallows of Water. Then they took out the needle. The end. Sitting there with this very long needle sticking out of me was kinda surreal.

Hope you all are doing well, always look forward to reading about your journies. We all must be each others cheerleaders, right?

NO PRO-OP DIET

BANDED JAN. 12

WEIGHT AT BANDING: 255

WEIGHT TODAY: 236

LOSS TO DATE: 19 POUNDS

GOAL: 155/81 POUNDS TO GO:thumbup:

Hi All -- wanted to share my band update! Had my first fill a few days ago and I can't feel it at all. I get my next fill Feb. 15 -- fortunately for me my doc is willing to do fills every two weeks. The fill experience was kinda out there...first they press on the port really hard and that actually hurt. Then a shot of novacaine which didn't hurt at all. Then the needle in to do the fill. Then they had me sit up with the needle sticking out of me and had me drink three "normal" swallows of Water. Then they took out the needle. The end. Sitting there with this very long needle sticking out of me was kinda surreal.

Hope you all are doing well, always look forward to reading about your journies. We all must be each others cheerleaders, right?

NO PRO-OP DIET

BANDED JAN. 12

WEIGHT AT BANDING: 255

WEIGHT TODAY: 236

LOSS TO DATE: 19 POUNDS

GOAL: 155/81 POUNDS TO GO:thumbup:

Hey Cherielyn,

I had my first fill yesterday and I am glad to know that someone else out there fills like I do about it. I feel no different, other than I had to be on liquids for the rest of yesterday, all is back to normal today. However, my doctor starts of the first fill by you going and having an ultrasound to see exactly where the port is and how deep it is, X marks the spot. Then his nurse sprays this stuff on your skin, and it burns for a second, then they gave me a shot of novacane. After that he comes in and does the fill and you go out and drink a bottle of water and it is over. I did have to do a crunch when he was feeling around for the right spot with the needle, but I could not feel it. I go back on March 4 for my second fill. I am down 22 since I started this in mid-November. So congrats on the weight loss!:)

Celia

It's amazing how every doctor is do different on how they do everything.

When my doctor did my fill he had me lay down and put my arms over my head and he said he could feel my port real good and told me to get ready for a little sting. I didn't get any novacaine or numbing spray just the shot with the fill in it. When he was done he put a band-aid on me and had me sit up and drink some Water. I didn't know what to expect so I took very little sips and whoa! I felt the restriction right away and in my throat area. He said some people feel it in the stomach area or in their chest or throat and when I feel that then I need to stop eating. It really felt like a big air bubble and I needed to let out a big burp!! I get that feeling with the first few bites of eating then it subsides so I am not sure if that is just air or what it is.

I hate that it takes me so long to eat and that my food gets COLD before I am even finished. Who wants to eat cold scrambled eggs?:sifone:

My doctor said if the 2cc's bother me then to let him know and he would take a little out.

I am more thirsty with a fill, anyone else notice this?

1.What is your current and goal weight? 247/135

2.What is your surgery date? 1/13/10

3.What is your age? 20

4.Where do you live? Tallahassee

5.Where are you having surgery? Memorial Regional Hospital (Pembroke Pines)

6.Who is your Doctor?? Dr. Cohen

7.Insurance or self-pay? Insurance

8.What was you "deciding factor" for having this surgery? My weight began to hinder me from my daily activities, and because i was born with congenital hip dysplasia, my dr told me if i didnt lose weight fast i would have to get hip replacement surgery because the weight was starting to be too much for my hip. i wanted to be able to play with my son, and i knew my weight was stopping me from being all that i could be to him.

I'm due my first fill in two weeks and I asked if I could have something to numb the area first and was told they don't give any novocaine or anything!

I might have to get myself some Emla cream and apply before hand. Has anyone else done this?

The port area is still pretty tender and I don't fancy anyone poking it around unless it is numb first.

hello, i just got banded this morning (feb 5, 2010) and feel pretty good.i'm just making sure to stay on top of pain medication every 3 hrs 45 min.some numbness on left arm and a little discomfort on left chest muscle.i've been keeping a heating pad on my chest and it seems to help.no vomiting or nausea, thanks god!

Hello everyone I was banded on jan 27th 2010 at first with all the swelling and port pain I thought I wasn't going to make it I couldn't sleep on my sides I couldn't bend over and if I was sitting down to long my body would get weak. All I could think was omg what have I done. But all I can say is as of today I feel great very very little pain I can sleep on my sides and my weight is dropping I have not started eating solid foods and I do expect to gain after I start eating but I know after a couple of fills and excersise I will be pleased a year from now. Be patient and we will have great sucess jan bandsters

Hi Longbaygirl.

I was banded on Jan. 13th so am due for my first fill also in a few weeks. I am definitely going to put some emla cream on ahead of time b/c my port is still quite tender.

I think it's a good idea.

Good luck with the fill.

Cristina

I got banded on Jan 12, 2010. Had my first fill yesterday. My surgeon had placed 4.5 cc in my band at time of placement. Did`nt even feel the need of a fill because no hunger problems (yet). He added 1.25 cc so I now have a total of 5.75. Elma creme? Novacaine? Whats to numb? Ever have blood drawn or a blood glucose pin prick on your finger tip? You call that "Pain"? Please.......how delicate can anyone be?

OK fellow January bandsters. I was banded on Jan 25th, I went for post op last wed. and had lost 11 lbs. My scale said only 8 lbs. This whole week I have not lost anything. I have stuck to the 1100 to 1200 calorie diet. I do not get a fill until Mar. 18th. :cursing::confused:

Ok, I really need some help and advice. I got banded on January 6th. At the time, the doctor put 2 cc's in my band. I went for my first fill yesterday and got 2 more cc's. I have no restriction whatsoever. I called the doctor and they told me not to worry, " It may take 3 or 4 fills before I feel any restriction." My doctor sees me once a month. So... Am I supposed to go along with no restriction until June possibly? I just don't get it. Should I call the office and push for another fill? I know the band is not a miracle cure- you still need to be very aware of what you are eating, working out, etc. I am doing all these things! Right now I feel like my band is a piece of plastic and I have a neat scar...:cursing:

jaxmom, Be careful what you wish for. I think your Surgeon is being very wise and conservative with your fills. Better to slowly get to that (sweet spot) then to put too much restriction in and have the throw-ups and slime drool events. Everyone is different but unless your starving between your 3 small meals, go slow! I don`t want to vomit and want to be able to swallow my pills and other medication without worry. Too tight a Band is MUCH worse then too little restriction. I got banded on Jan 12, 2010. My Surgeon put in 4.5 cc when he placed the Band and just added 1.25 cc yesterday. I have no real stomach hunger, just once in a while (head hunger) from smelling something that excites the taste buds. 31 pounds down to date with (N0 exercise)yet. Had gout flare-up for 2 weeks....talk about timing!

I was banded on Jan 13 and lost a lot of weight in the first 2 weeks (6 lbs pre-op and 16 lbs post-op). BUT (and it's a big BUT), I have not lost anymore weight since then and I am not 4 weeks post-op! I am very frustrated! I have been exercising and eating 1000 calories or less each day with high protein-low carbs (tracking on The Daily Plate.com). I don't go for my first fill until Feb 26.

I know this is a long-term thing and I am completely dedicated to this over the long haul. But would really like to see at least a little progress each week. Should I go back to a liquid diet for a few days? Or eliminate carbs completely? Has anyone done any exercise above and beyond walking? I have only been doing walking and eliptical but would really like to do some aerobics DVDs and weights. Any and all advice as to how I can begin losing again would be most appreciated!

gwins, my Surgeon says Carbs are the "killer" Keep to 60 grams daily if possible. Its almost like (Atkins). I`m just a month post op, not much hunger though. Maybe I`m doing under 1000 calories daily. 2 slices of lean moist roast beef, 2 table spoons of mashed potato`s with a spoon of beef gravy and some steam carrots. sugar free Jello and pudding for dessert. Same with fish and chicken.< /p>