Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any January 2010 Bandsters????

Just talked with my surgeon's asst. . . I have a JANUARY 12 surgery date at Emory in Atlanta :unsure: and I cannot begin to say how excited, nervous, scared, and anxious I am. The doctor requires a 7-day liquid diet (Slimfast), but I'm going to start today to get a jump. My support group is limited, so I'll be relying on this site and all of you a lot. So far, all your postings have informed and comforted me. Thanks! :wub:

Hi Barbara,

I'm being banded on January 12th as well - kind of like band "twins" LOL. We are VERY blessed! Best wishes, peace and prayers to you!

Hugs,

Jackie :thumbup:

Hi Barbara,

I'm being banded on January 12th as well - kind of like band "twins" LOL. We are VERY blessed! Best wishes, peace and prayers to you!

Hugs,

Jackie :unsure:

Thanks, JackieJ. . . the 12th will be here before we know it (I hope!!!) . . . I'd like to be your band twin! Where are you having surgery . . . and what kind of pre-op diet are you doing?

Yes, I think we are blessed to have made this decision to fight this lifelong (for me) battle, that I keep losing....am very excited about outcome and feeling better Healthwise. So have a Happy New Year and let's keep in touch via this site. Cheers!

Well I have good news... Last night I had to get out of the house... I am a single mom with three kids and was having a fight with the mortgage company...

It was New Years Eve.. I was having a bad day... I told my teenage daughter to watch the boys while I went to the post office...she said, "mom, the post office isn't open"...

I just wanted to get out of the house and change my surroundings for a moment...I dropped off the mail and was deciding which restaraunt to go to in order to get something to eat..I was thinking two plain tacos from Taco Bell.. not too bad... right?

Well.. it was that moment I said... No..having something to eat at home.. you are not hungry.. you want to eat because you are upset....

So, I drove home.. had some chicken and got up today and did my homework.... I am working on my PhD.....

Now... why is this huge.. well I am retired from the military.. I have an undergrad, a law degree.. an MBA and the PHD is almost done... why is it I can't control food?

I am convinced beyond any doubt that this venture is psychological.. we eat because we are having a bad day... we lose hope.....

The LAP-BAND® that I will be getting on Jan 26th is a piece of hope.... maybe I will be driving around and say,.. I can't have that, it won't fit down the band....if that is what it takes, I will take it for the rest of my life....

I think this is going to be a great tool.. because even those that appear to have all of the control in the world.. all the determination... need a helping hand.

My band will be my helping hand I think... something to remind me when I am alone in the car, upset, with a few dollars in the checkbook that would easily get me through the dollar menu.....

I think I shall name my band:):unsure: Any ideas from anyone?

Jennifer

OMG I am so glad I'm not the only goofball that plans on naming their band! I named mine "Kip" I don't know why it just came to me. I told my boyfriend and he called me a dork and asked why I wanted to name it. I told him so I could say things like "Kip your not still hungry" and "Kip your ticking me off." and "I love you Kip your the best thing that's ever happened to me." I know I'm a dork. Lol.

Thanks, JackieJ. . . the 12th will be here before we know it (I hope!!!) . . . I'd like to be your band twin! Where are you having surgery . . . and what kind of pre-op diet are you doing?

Yes, I think we are blessed to have made this decision to fight this lifelong (for me) battle, that I keep losing....am very excited about outcome and feeling better Healthwise. So have a Happy New Year and let's keep in touch via this site. Cheers!

Hey Barbara and JackieJ. Can we be triplets? I'm being banded on the 12th too. I am so excited I can hardly contain it.:unsure:

Hi Everyone!

I will be banded on January 19th!!! I would love to stay in contact and support one another.

Cherie

What do they say? When it rains it pours:):blushing:

My ex (dad of child) is coming home from Kuwait in June and I have not told him that I am having this surgery. We still have a burning torch so it would not bother me for him to be pleasantly surprised... even if only to say, see.... should have been nicer to me:):thumbup: Although that is not why I am doing this.. I am doing this for me, myself and I.. the three of us get along well:)

I will tell you though I am happier without the romantic tangles... I am too independent for my own good.... I don't ever want to get married but I do want to find someone to date and be a travel companion... as I am about to turn 40 soon.. no more kids in my future.. so I am preparing for my next twenty years to be even better than the last twenty years.....

I want to be a "cougar"... just kidding.. I am too conservative to be on the prowl... but an occasional glance my way won't hurt the ole ego...

I also know what you mean about folks picturing your diagnosis with you as a person.. almost as if the diagnosis is the person... I don't talk about the pain ever to my 15 brothers and sisters or my ex... (yes I did say 15 brothers and sisters) I don't want them to see me that way... although they do see the pain in my body with the steroids are wearing off.... but I do not want the PITY party so I just gut through it....

I will tell you Cherie... the RA will not define you.. the LAP-BAND® will not define you.... in fact, it is not the action that makes the person but the reaction....

So, the action is that your DH says "there may be issues"... OK.. all relationships have issues... .now...what are you going to do about it? Counseling is an awesome, awesome method to find out the root of a problem.. you just have to find the right one...

Now another question would be.. how will the relationship with you and the DH be after you lose 75-100 pounds... will there be a burning torch... ?

It is tough....I think it comes down to more of what "you" want versus what the "DH" wants....how hard to you fight?

But I am the wrong person for this... I have three ex-loves.... loved them all.. still do.... but they are ex's for a reason ....

I have been burned so many times... I don't go near the fire....

It is tough.. what does DH say about the surgery?

Jen

Hi Jen=

As far as how DH feels about the band...if there's one thing I know for certain it's never lose weight for a man. He may find me more attractive but by that time I may be too pissed off to care. I think he's going through mid-life "Holy crap I'm actually going to die one day" crisis. A "sick" wife cannot do the jock stuff he loves, nor travel to the kind of places he wants to travel. He won't even get on a plane with me. Makes him too anxious. He sees me as RA and I don't think that's going to change. It's insulting, demeaning, humiliating...to know that he would rather have sex with himself in the shower than have sex with me. I still love him, like him, etc. but I really do deserve better than that. I'll tell you this, if he does decide he wants us to stay together the man is going to have to court me all over again.:drool:'

I leave the day after tomorrow for San Jose, surgery Jan. 12 so I have a long time in a gorgeous hotel all by myself. What a waste. I'll post to you from there as I will have a lot of free and anxious time on my hands...

Soon to be bofingered...

Cherie

Hi Barbara,

Hugs,

Jackie :blushing:

And I'm a Jan. 12 chick, too. I've named by band-to-be Bofinger. No idea why. Just makes me laugh. We're triplets now, ladies! -- Cherie

Marge, I'm close to your age and I've wondered the same thing about having this done at this stage of my life....however, I'm thinking getting banded/losing weight will probably increase the numbe of years I have left.... so, let's look at it this way! Let's keep in touch . . . there's a section based on age, so I'll be checking in at that thread too. Good Luck!! :blushing:

Hi Barbara. I had to postpone my Jan 4 date. I've been sick and couldn't make it to the Pre admission testing on Dec 31st. I'm talking to the Dr's office tomorrow and hoping to be put on the schedule for Jan 18th. I'll keep you posted. Where in Michigan are you from. I live in Florida now, but am from the Grand Rapids area.

Good luck on your surgery.

Marge.:thumbup:

Edited by margevd
typos

Hi Everyone!

I will be banded on January 19th!!! I would love to stay in contact and support one another.

Hey La La,

I am being banded on the 18th! I started my pre-op liquid diet two weeks ago and today is the half way mark, YAY! It will be here before we know it!! I am getting so excited but also very nervous. When do you start your pre-op diet and what is it like?

My doctor likes his patients to stay over night in the hospital but it all depends on how they feel after surgery. I really don't want to have to stay over night but I guess I will just have to wait and see.

Lets stay in touch! Good Luck!:blushing:

I'm Getting banded tomorrow! jan 5! SQUEEE!

I'm January 19th also, at Presbyterian Hosptial in Charlotte, NC at 7:30AM. Tomorrow I start the totally liquid pre-op diet. Strange how some doctors allow one meal a day and others are totally liquid proponents. Lucky me. LOL!

Alright January Bandsters.. what are we going to name ourselves? Yep, I'll admit it.. I want one of those fancy little "month" names like some of the others have..

Let's get some suggestions and vote for a name!!

Here are some: (not great.. but anyway)

Thin in 10

Jammin January

Your turn!

Alright January Bandsters.. what are we going to name ourselves? Yep, I'll admit it.. I want one of those fancy little "month" names like some of the others have..

Thin in 10

Jammin January

Your turn!

Hi Just-Ice,

I agree that we need a catchy name too! I've included a few suggestions below.

January Jubilee

Jazzed for January

January Jesters

Anyone else?

Hi Jen=

As far as how DH feels about the band...if there's one thing I know for certain it's never lose weight for a man. He may find me more attractive but by that time I may be too pissed off to care. I think he's going through mid-life "Holy crap I'm actually going to die one day" crisis. A "sick" wife cannot do the jock stuff he loves, nor travel to the kind of places he wants to travel. He won't even get on a plane with me. Makes him too anxious. He sees me as RA and I don't think that's going to change. It's insulting, demeaning, humiliating...to know that he would rather have sex with himself in the shower than have sex with me. I still love him, like him, etc. but I really do deserve better than that. I'll tell you this, if he does decide he wants us to stay together the man is going to have to court me all over again.:drool:'

I leave the day after tomorrow for San Jose, surgery Jan. 12 so I have a long time in a gorgeous hotel all by myself. What a waste. I'll post to you from there as I will have a lot of free and anxious time on my hands...

Soon to be bofingered...

Cherie

You know Cherie...

I tell my teenage daughter that I love my ex's... I just hate the way they ended...

Ex's are ex's for a reason... it doesn't mean I don't love them...in fact one of my ex's is coming into town this summer (should be making great progress with BuddyAide :rolleyes2: by then)... and he knows I will never get back together with him.. but we have found friendship for the sake of our son...and I really like it that way....

These relationships are so personal in nature.. only you can know if it is worth saving... or is it so valuable that you want to stay friends thus bringing the romantic part to the end.. or is there hope for the whole thing to turn around...

I feel blessed, absolutely blessed, that I am single and happy. I don't ever want to get married... but eventually I would love to find someone to date and travel with....I think there are lots of women like that these days... very independent and don't need someone.. but rather, wants someone...and that is powerful... very powerful...

I have embraced my pain.. I have embraced the steroids...and I will embrace the BuddyAide.. much like your Bofinger....

I think your time until your surgery is going to be awesome.. what a great event... if I could fast forward to the 26th for my surgery.. I would:):)

You have lots of friends on this site...can you imagine 6 months from now how many success stories we will see in the January Bandsters?

I am excited... I hope I can succeed.... I must say though... I feel like I may be the ONLY one that fails with the band... always have that fear... but I am going down fighting:):)

Also, be sure to take stuff with you.. I do cross stitch as a hobby and always have a project to travel with, just in case I have too much time on my hands.....

I also have the schooling of course.. I was sooo happy one of my research papers was finally returned to me after 4 tries... with a 95%.. whew... every paper I do know is worth a lot in the dissertation process... so everything is crticqued with a fine tooth comb...I should be reaching my goal for the lap band and my graduation at the same time.. great synching I think...

What is your timeline for goals....? I set my first goal, then three others before the final goal...

258 start/253 current/240 surgery date hopefully/198 on 1 June/185 on 1 Aug/170 on 1 Oct/ 160 1 Dec - GOAL... so I am planning on 10 months 98 pounds... I think totally doable....

Just hang in there girl... keep the eye on the prize... and remember this is ALLLL for you and you get all the credit....

Jen

Edited by wisconsin jen

Thin in 10

Jammin January

Your turn!

Hi Just-Ice...

I like Jammin January....it is catchy...

I am open to anything but like the idea of a January 2010 name.. I think a lot of us will be on the site over the next year....

Jennifer