Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any January 2010 Bandsters????

Mandy

I like sugar free Carnation w/ skim milk. All the others made me really sick feeling. If you have Kroger in your area they make an off brand that fit the criteria my doc gave, but is half the price. Our nurse told us we could flavor them with the Syrup you use to flavor coffee, but use sugar free. But of course make sure you ask your doctor and follow their guidelines.

I am scheduled for January 11th. This liquid pre-op diet is killing my IBS. Anyone else having trouble with the pre-op Liquid Protein diet?

Edited by cristinaann

Any suggestions on Protein Shakes? Since I'm going to be mainly running on shakes for 2 weeks, I want the best ones. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

I'm on day 2 of my preop liquid diet. I have been mixing berries and bananas with my Isopure Protein Shake. I hope this is ok. My surgery is 1/5 and DR office is closed till then.

Any one have any thoughts on this?

I am being banded on Thursday Jan 7th with Dr. Bass in Hollywood, Fl. :lol: I started my full liquid diet today and am doing good so far. A little hungry, but dealing with it. I couldn't be more excited about the surgery. I'm not even nervous anymore. Let me know if anyone else is getting banded around the same time so that we can keep in contact! Good luck to everyone!!!:biggrin:

Everyone Please remember to follow your OWN pre-op diet that YOUR doctor gave you. There is a reason for it. If you have any questions about it or are having trouble following it give your doctor or nutritionist a call and they make the changes that you need. What works for one person may not work for another. It would be a shame to get this close to surgery only to make the wrong choice. It's better to be safe than sorry. You doctor/nutritionist is there to help you!:lol:

I wasn't suggesting that anyone not follow there own doctor's instructions on diet. I was just suggesting that if they are at the point where they are going to slip-up, it is better to choose something that will be better for them than to choose the bad carbs, which are not.

Just trying to help...

I'm getting banded on January 11th. I started the pre-op diet on Monday. It has been really tough. I feel so hungary. My doctor has us drink 3 shakes from New Direction each day ( 200cal and 20 grams of Protein in each one). We can only supplement with sugar free Jello, and popsicles. But one good thing is I have lost 3lbs in 3 days. Only 11 more days.

Well I have good news... Last night I had to get out of the house... I am a single mom with three kids and was having a fight with the mortgage company...

It was New Years Eve.. I was having a bad day... I told my teenage daughter to watch the boys while I went to the post office...she said, "mom, the post office isn't open"...

I just wanted to get out of the house and change my surroundings for a moment...I dropped off the mail and was deciding which restaraunt to go to in order to get something to eat..I was thinking two plain tacos from Taco Bell.. not too bad... right?

Well.. it was that moment I said... No..having something to eat at home.. you are not hungry.. you want to eat because you are upset....

So, I drove home.. had some chicken and got up today and did my homework.... I am working on my PhD.....

Now... why is this huge.. well I am retired from the military.. I have an undergrad, a law degree.. an MBA and the PHD is almost done... why is it I can't control food?

I am convinced beyond any doubt that this venture is psychological.. we eat because we are having a bad day... we lose hope.....

The lap band that I will be getting on Jan 26th is a piece of hope.... maybe I will be driving around and say,.. I can't have that, it won't fit down the band....if that is what it takes, I will take it for the rest of my life....

I think this is going to be a great tool.. because even those that appear to have all of the control in the world.. all the determination... need a helping hand.

My band will be my helping hand I think... something to remind me when I am alone in the car, upset, with a few dollars in the checkbook that would easily get me through the dollar menu.....

I think I shall name my band:):biggrin: Any ideas from anyone?

Jennifer

I go in on January 22nd to be banded and I am getting nervous..Anyone else in the same boat as me?

Totally -- I get banded Jan. 12. Nerves make sense, right? I was just reading post-op posts where people are vomiting everything up or can't even drink Water and I'm like...um...wouldn't it be a good idea to call your doctor? One woman was choking in her sleep. Not to freak you out...I suppose the smart, the not and the everything-in-between post here. We share a journey. Just...some people's journeys seem mighty strange. Hey, who am I to judge? Yet to enter Band Land. You be my cheerleader and I'll be yours, K?:biggrin:

Well I have good news... Last night I had to get out of the house... I am a single mom with three kids and was having a fight with the mortgage company...

It was New Years Eve.. I was having a bad day... I told my teenage daughter to watch the boys while I went to the post office...she said, "mom, the post office isn't open"...

I just wanted to get out of the house and change my surroundings for a moment...I dropped off the mail and was deciding which restaraunt to go to in order to get something to eat..I was thinking two plain tacos from Taco Bell.. not too bad... right?

Well.. it was that moment I said... No..having something to eat at home.. you are not hungry.. you want to eat because you are upset....

So, I drove home.. had some chicken and got up today and did my homework.... I am working on my PhD.....

Now... why is this huge.. well I am retired from the military.. I have an undergrad, a law degree.. an MBA and the PHD is almost done... why is it I can't control food?

I am convinced beyond any doubt that this venture is psychological.. we eat because we are having a bad day... we lose hope.....

The LAP-BAND® that I will be getting on Jan 26th is a piece of hope.... maybe I will be driving around and say,.. I can't have that, it won't fit down the band....if that is what it takes, I will take it for the rest of my life....

I think this is going to be a great tool.. because even those that appear to have all of the control in the world.. all the determination... need a helping hand.

My band will be my helping hand I think... something to remind me when I am alone in the car, upset, with a few dollars in the checkbook that would easily get me through the dollar menu.....

I think I shall name my band:):biggrin: Any ideas from anyone?

Jennifer

Hi Jen -- Cherie here. Band Aide? Buddy? Bofinger? I kinda like Bofinger for no reason except I thought the movie was a riot. I figure if it would be a funny name for a pet "Here, Bofinger, good dog") then it's a funny nane for le bande.

I very much enjoyed your post and would love to share this journey with you. I get Bofinger Jan. 12. Like you I am educated, I'm also a well-known novelist for teens, yada, yada...and yes, I could still polish off a Big Mac or fill-in-the-blank comfort food of choice when comfort is called for. I know a smart buddy would help me. I'm offering to be yours. You in? -- Cherie Bennett:lol:

Hi Cherie...

You bet we can be buddies... I laughed when I saw your post on my CrackBerry.....

I love the names.. maybe BuddyAide.... a combo of band aide and buddy...Yup... I think that is it.. BuddyAide and Bofinger....

That makes me laugh...

I sometimes start talking to myself a lot.. you are educated, you are smart, you are in control (as I eat the donut)....it is funny... we all have a demon... some are relationships with their significant others... some with parents... some with food....

food is my demon....I think that it was because of the way I grew up ... but also that is why I keep going to school.. I am ADDICTED to learning... can't get enough.. really sad this is my last degree....

I did continue that fix though by becoming a college professor.. that way I am still in the classroom enviornment...I love it.. love coach, teaching, and mentoring the students there.... which also complicates things.. I can tell anyone what to do and be a great mentor.. except to myself...

This BuddyAide will be just the thing that will get us through I think....

Now when Bofinger and BuddyAide assist us meeting our goals.. what do we do then? Got to have a plan I say.... need a project:):biggrin:

How much do you need/want to lose? When is your surgery.....?

Mine is 25 days and a wake up... woo hoo.. I am excited....

I am on every day these days... I find this particular forum pretty uplifting......

Jennifer

By the way.. which books.. I have a 14 year old daughter.. she is too much like her mother....

I wrote Escape from the Dungeon.. I plan to write another down the line.. not sure when though......

Jen

Hi Cherie...

You bet we can be buddies... I laughed when I saw your post on my CrackBerry.....

I love the names.. maybe BuddyAide.... a combo of band aide and buddy...Yup... I think that is it.. BuddyAide and Bofinger....

That makes me laugh...

I sometimes start talking to myself a lot.. you are educated, you are smart, you are in control (as I eat the donut)....it is funny... we all have a demon... some are relationships with their significant others... some with parents... some with food....

food is my demon....I think that it was because of the way I grew up ... but also that is why I keep going to school.. I am ADDICTED to learning... can't get enough.. really sad this is my last degree....

I did continue that fix though by becoming a college professor.. that way I am still in the classroom enviornment...I love it.. love coach, teaching, and mentoring the students there.... which also complicates things.. I can tell anyone what to do and be a great mentor.. except to myself...

This BuddyAide will be just the thing that will get us through I think....

Now when Bofinger and BuddyAide assist us meeting our goals.. what do we do then? Got to have a plan I say.... need a project:):tongue2:

How much do you need/want to lose? When is your surgery.....?

Mine is 25 days and a wake up... woo hoo.. I am excited....

I am on every day these days... I find this particular forum pretty uplifting......

Jennifer

Hi Jen - What is it that you teach? I am so often a mentor to teens and yet clearly mentoring myself and my own demons is...a challenge. I would like to lose 100 pounds, however I'm good at 75. We shall see what the doc says. Anyway it sounds like we want to lose a similar amount of weight. My doc did not put me on a pre-bofinger diet so there is definitely no weight loss yet. My date is Jan. 12...complicated by the fact that I'm doing it out of town (I live in Salt lake City, I'm doing it in San Jose, CA) and I have to be in Santa Fe Jan 6 in order to see a rheumatologist there. I have rheumatoid arthritis (big fun) and take serious immunosuppresants, so my surgeon is making me see his rheumatologist, even though I see mine here regularly and he already approved this. Whatever. The RA will make exercise tres challenging after I heal. It's Water exercise or nuthin. I also take prednisone...try losing weight on steroids...BUT. That said. I WILL do this and I WILL succeed as I am sick to death of feeling that my life is out of my control. Too much info lol?:biggrin:

Hi Jen - What is it that you teach? I am so often a mentor to teens and yet clearly mentoring myself and my own demons is...a challenge. I would like to lose 100 pounds, however I'm good at 75. We shall see what the doc says. Anyway it sounds like we want to lose a similar amount of weight. My doc did not put me on a pre-bofinger diet so there is definitely no weight loss yet. My date is Jan. 12...complicated by the fact that I'm doing it out of town (I live in Salt lake City, I'm doing it in San Jose, CA) and I have to be in Santa Fe Jan 6 in order to see a rheumatologist there. I have rheumatoid arthritis (big fun) and take serious immunosuppresants, so my surgeon is making me see his rheumatologist, even though I see mine here regularly and he already approved this. Whatever. The RA will make exercise tres challenging after I heal. It's Water exercise or nuthin. I also take prednisone...try losing weight on steroids...BUT. That said. I WILL do this and I WILL succeed as I am sick to death of feeling that my life is out of my control. Too much info lol?:biggrin:

Cherie..

We do have a lot in commone.. I too am shooting for 100 but will be satisfied at 75.. but I do intend to go for the dream:):tongue2:

I know a little bit of what you are going through on the RA....

I have lupus and athritis in the knees with bone spurs and all.. two years ago, running marathons.. today,,,not so much:):smile2: I use the prenisone - low dose... injections and topical pain Patches just to function... I am reallly hoping the lapband is going to help me for the rest of my life becuase of the diagnosis..

I actually agree with the surgeon having you go to "his" rheumy.... I think he will feel more confident about doing the surgery...

But getting the weight off is HUGE and will make us both feel better.. I picture in my mind's eye what life will be like in 6 months and I almost wish I could fast forward time......

Right now I teach Law, Ethics and Business.. both online and brick and mortar.. I love both so much. The online gives me flexiblity to be a single mom - I have a 14 yr old, 6 year old and a 3 year old.. they keep me running.. I did the miltiary officer thing for 20 years and am starting my second career as it would be....

I love the brick and mortar teaching because to see the faces of a student that "gets it" is something you can't get online....so I got my fix of both....

My dissertation is kicking my booty... just going through committee now with the concept paper and hopefully be done around June so I can be Dr. Jen instead of Major Jen.....

I don't have a preop diet as of yet.. I have my dietician and physical on the 8th of Jan so I am sure I will get more guidance then... I am already on board with losing....so a preop diet puts you in the right mentality... I have no problem getting the weight off (wait.. let me rephrase....it is tough but doable over a period of time)... but keeping it off is my problem... that is why I say if I lose 75 and keep it off I consider it success... but I so want to shoot for that 100 marker....wouldn't that be great......!!!!!

I will be too big in the ego for my own good...... the weight allows me to have humility...

I will cross my fingers for the Rhuemy on the 6th.. I know those visits are always so pivotal...but your ducks are in a row so hopefully it will be smooth......

Jennifer

Cherie..

We do have a lot in commone.. I too am shooting for 100 but will be satisfied at 75.. but I do intend to go for the dream:):)

I know a little bit of what you are going through on the RA....

I have lupus and athritis in the knees with bone spurs and all.. two years ago, running marathons.. today,,,not so much:):) I use the prenisone - low dose... injections and topical pain Patches just to function... I am reallly hoping the LAP-BAND® is going to help me for the rest of my life becuase of the diagnosis..

I actually agree with the surgeon having you go to "his" rheumy.... I think he will feel more confident about doing the surgery...

But getting the weight off is HUGE and will make us both feel better.. I picture in my mind's eye what life will be like in 6 months and I almost wish I could fast forward time......

Right now I teach Law, Ethics and Business.. both online and brick and mortar.. I love both so much. The online gives me flexiblity to be a single mom - I have a 14 yr old, 6 year old and a 3 year old.. they keep me running.. I did the miltiary officer thing for 20 years and am starting my second career as it would be....

I love the brick and mortar teaching because to see the faces of a student that "gets it" is something you can't get online....so I got my fix of both....

My dissertation is kicking my booty... just going through committee now with the concept paper and hopefully be done around June so I can be Dr. Jen instead of Major Jen.....

I don't have a preop diet as of yet.. I have my dietician and physical on the 8th of Jan so I am sure I will get more guidance then... I am already on board with losing....so a preop diet puts you in the right mentality... I have no problem getting the weight off (wait.. let me rephrase....it is tough but doable over a period of time)... but keeping it off is my problem... that is why I say if I lose 75 and keep it off I consider it success... but I so want to shoot for that 100 marker....wouldn't that be great......!!!!!

I will be too big in the ego for my own good...... the weight allows me to have humility...

I will cross my fingers for the Rhuemy on the 6th.. I know those visits are always so pivotal...but your ducks are in a row so hopefully it will be smooth......

Jennifer

Hi Jen - Wow we really DO have a lot in common. Lupus sucks. RA sucks. Yeah, I know, I'm deep. I havr a 17 year old son and while I am not a single mom my hub of 20 years recently informed me that we may have problems "too big to overcome" so we are in counseling. He hates that I have RA, sees RA as ME and informs me it isn't sexy, ergo -- no sex. Talk about a hit to the ego. Like it's not bad enough what being overweight and having RA does to my ego anyway. But also, like you, I think quite a lot of myself. Funny dichotomy. I am very interested in philosophy, ethics, etc. and often find that on some level the themes of my novels involve ethics, personal choice. You can find more than you ever wanted to know about what I write at my website: cheriebennett.com. Your daughter may know a very huge series i wrote called THE A LIST under the name Zoey Dean. I often write "pop" stuff under pseudonyms...