Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WHAT Is Going On ???

Does anybody know what is going on? I was banded in June '08 and had slow but steady fills. In Nov I finally hit that sweet spot I'd heard about (6cc's in a 10 cc band). In January I thought I needed a little tweak but ended up with an overfill. Bad acid reflux, throat swollen, etc. So the Doc did a complete unfill and all was well, except for the hunger. So every month I went in for little fills, never quite getting to that sweet spot again. In June I was at 3.5 cc's and the reflux started again. So the doc took out 1.5 cc's. In August I tried with another fill and got up to about 3 cc's and the same thing happened. So now I am having to deal with about 1.5 cc's in my band. I go for my next fill in October and am pretty scared. I am only going to ask for a tiny little squirt, like .25 of a cc.But is this going to happen again? What is going on? The doc doesn't seem to be concerned, but I am! If any of you out there have ever experienced this, would you please let me know? I would really appreciate it.

It sounds as if you've simply reached the maximum restriction you can handle at this point in time. People can handle different amounts, and it may change later for you as you lose, you might find you get back to 6ccs.

How is the restriction for you though? I mean, it is frustrating for you if you're still hungry and not losing, but if you're losing, even slowly, then there's really no need to push it and go for more fill if it causes you problems. i think you've got the right plan, to get a tiny fill next time.

And of course, its important to balance restriction with exercise. Trying to achieve your entire calorie deficit with what you eat is a recipe for disaster for exactly that reason - there's only so tight you can go - so you simply must burn a lot of those calories away with exercise. That way, you dont need to be so tight.

It sounds as if you've simply reached the maximum restriction you can handle at this point in time. People can handle different amounts, and it may change later for you as you lose, you might find you get back to 6ccs.

How is the restriction for you though? I mean, it is frustrating for you if you're still hungry and not losing, but if you're losing, even slowly, then there's really no need to push it and go for more fill if it causes you problems. i think you've got the right plan, to get a tiny fill next time.

And of course, its important to balance restriction with exercise. Trying to achieve your entire calorie deficit with what you eat is a recipe for disaster for exactly that reason - there's only so tight you can go - so you simply must burn a lot of those calories away with exercise. That way, you dont need to be so tight.

I don't think I've reached the maximum restriction that I can handle, as I have only about 1.5 cc's in a 10 cc band. But who knows? I don't have that good of restriction, and that is what is really, really frustrating me right now. I have only lost about 4 pounds in two months. As for the exercise, I could do more. I do exercise, but not enough. But that isn't the real issue for me right now. I don't have much restriction. If I wanted to, I could eat a slice of bread, untoasted and not have any problems. With even a little bit of restriction, that wouldn't be possible. So who knows? There is some restriction. I guess I should be happy with that.

Its really not quite correct to judge whether or not you have restriction on whether you can eat bread. I can eat 3/4 of a sandwich and I'm at goal weight, it really is problematic to judge your restriction by being able to eat certain foods because everyone is different.

The only measure of whether you have enough restriction is whether you're losing relatively painlessly. Some people dont need a lot to achieve that and many foods will always be on their menu. Others need to really restrict their diets. Its not a moral judgement, its just how our bodies work. Some need a lot of calorie restriction, some dont.

I'd do what you're doing and go for tiny fills, try to sneak up on it and hopefully get to the point where the restriction you feel is enough for you. What you need and what your stomach can handle are, most frustratingly, sometimes two different things entirely and you really dont want to place your band at risk by going too tight even though you once had 6cc. There really is no option in the short term but to try to burn more calories by exercising rather than trying to eat less once you get to the maximum restriction for you at this time.

But take heart, our bodies change all the time and you may find this time, your body will allow you to go past 3cc, and if not now, it might in the future. Your job is t hang in there and work with what you have at each stage. You sound really down about it, try not to be. This is never a smooth journey for anyone and just because its bumpy for you right now, doesnt mean it wont smooth out in the future.

I understand what you are saying. And yes I am very frustrated. If I hadn't once felt that so called "sweet spot", then I wouldn't be feeling like this. But I have, and I really want it back. All of what you said is true, and I do need to exercise more. I like to exercise. I enjoy how I feel when I do it. But I was just wondering why this is happening. It doesn't matter if I feel good restriction at only 2 cc's. If what I feel is adequate restriction , then that's good. But I don't. And I used to. I just don't know why I get such bad acid reflux when I get feeling good restriction. Now I have come to a conclusion that I may just be one of those people who will have to just get along with a looser band. I just wondered why. I am probably just repeating myself, because I get so bummed out about this. I have lost 100 pounds, and that's good. But I still have another 100 pounds to go! If all I had to do was maintain this weight, I could probably do it. But in order to lose 100 more pounds, I need to get going...and I'm not! You see what I'm saying? Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it.

I agree, that its a bit strange to start having so much trouble now, when you've had great restriction before. You might want to bring up with your doc the possibility of investigating it further, if only to put your mind at rest.

If you've lost 100 lb then you're an expert on this now, you know what you're feeling and like you say, you dont believe you've reached max restriction. I didnt realise you'd done so well and lost so much. I think I'd be insisting on some further investigations.

I think that you are right. I am going to have to ask the good doctor what is going on. I have asked him beforeand he says things that I don't really understand. But I never raised the question further, as he has always known what he is talking about. But it is time for me to grow a spine and ask for some answers. It will probably involve tests, which costs so much money that I don't have. But I've come this far, haven't I ? Well, that is what I will do. Jacqui, thank you very much. Pamela

I was banded in June 07 and by October (3rd fill) I had also reached that sweet spot. It was great. I didn't get any more fills and life seemed to be good.

In December, I started getting the acid reflux (real bad) to where it was waking me up at night because Fluid was coming up and I'd have coughing fits. This went on for about a week and I went in to the dr. They thought it was gastritis (or something like that) and gave me some meds for the heartburn. It didn't work. I went in again and they took some Fluid out (not all) and the problem was immediately relieved! They said the weather can affect the band -- when it turns cold and/or rainy, it can tighten up and start to wreak havoc. I did not know this ahead of time. I wish I had, as I would've done what others in his care do -- go straight to Clear liquids for a few days until it relaxes and goes back to normal.

When they took that little bit out, I went back a couple of weeks later for a refill. But soon after, the problems started....so after several fills and a little bit on the unfills, we ended up removing all the fluid and starting over. The problems started up again. Then with my frustration, I began to over eat, as that sweet spot seemed to be no more and even though I felt full, I was still eating. I ended up stretching my pouch -- so we removed the fluid again only to have a near slip a little while later with the same yo-yo fills. I ended up having revision surgery this past April and had a new band put in. I have not had any fills, as I have been scared to death to have fluid put in because I don't want to risk stretching the pouch again. So now afte 5 months with my new band and joining Jazzercise and just now starting to go to Overeater's Anonymous to get a grip on why I overeat to begin with, as well as some hypnosis/meditations I have gotten the courage to go in today and get a fill. I realized I'm putting the weight back on and I am miserable. Here I have this tool that can help me, and yet with no fills, it's doing nothing but sitting there. So I have to take control by using other tools available to me and hopefully with all of them combined, I will once again succeed and get to a sweet spot and be in control.

So just be aware of the problems. Note the weather -- possibly write down what the weather is like when you experience tightness and see if there's a pattern of certain times when you're having problems. I live in Texas, so it can be 95 one day and 40 the next or no rain for months, then storms for a week. That will all have an effect on the band. So hang in there and go slow! Have faith that you will hit that sweet spot again and get back on track. I just realized that I have to have faith that I'm in control -- it's all I have shy of not having the band at all. I keep telling myself if I can quit smoking (and I loved it) then I can take control over food. I try to tell myself that "Just for today, I'm going to do......." and take it one day at a time.

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to share my story as I get ready to go in in a few hours and get that first fill in a long time and hope and pray that I can make it work again!

GOod luck to you, sweetie!

Lady Blue,you sound a lot like me, and the same experiences I had. Why did this happen? Did your doctor have any answers about why they think we are fine and then choking on acid? Cos that is what happened for me. I was fine with 6 cc's went in for a fill and ended up with my first overfill with acid reflux and had to be drained and start over, over and over. Now I barely have 1.5 cc's in me and get the worst acid reflux whenever they try to put more in my band. A slip is not suspected. I gained my weight when I quit smoking 8 years ago. Why did you end up having your band revised? I am just asking because, you know, I am getting a little freaked out about this. I don't think it's the weather as this started in Feb of this year (in northern Illinois brrrrr, and has lasted up through now). I appreciate your input, and believe me I need it cos this is really frustrating me and I am not really losing weight now, which is a serious bummer. Well, let me know, if you can, about what your doc thought was going on and why your band was revised. Thanks very much.

Slimmap, according to my doctor, it's the weather around here, and they seriously think that's what starting causing it. The barometric pressure in the air, as it drops, it can cause the band to restrict. After getting more fills, then having too much -- as the yo-yo started, I realized that I wasn't stopping eating at a 1/2 cup. If it was there, I was eating it whether I felt full or not (I usually did feel full). So I was overfilling the pouch and that can cause it to stretch out and ultimately cause a slip, where it's wanting to basically "spill over" and lay over the band. Just before my revision surgery, I knew something was wrong. I found myself drinking a lot of cold Water to see if I could feel it going through. When it was normal, I can feel cold going through the band. For the longest time, I couldn't feel that. When I went in and they checked it under flouroscopy, it was not only stretched, but had started to go over the band -- so since it wasn't "straight", things were just barely dripping through. That's when the dr. said it was time to do a revision and basically start over. But I know now, that this is my last chance for this -- for several reasons. One, is we no longer have the insurance we had when I got it in the beginning and had revision surgery in April. My husband changed jobs and we can't afford their insurance, plus from what I understand, insurance companies won't pick you up and cover previous lapband procedures. Also, I know that the stretching was MY fault. I allowed myself to go back to bad habits instead of babying my band and treating it right. I know my biggest issue is overeating -- when I feel full, if I still have food on my plate, I want to eat it regardless. So that's why I've joined OA to help get a grip on that -- it's basically a disease and I have to learn how to control it.

So if you don't think it's the weather where you are affecting the band, could it possibly be bad eating habits? That's why a lot of us are overweight to begin with and were able to get the band. If your band feels fine for a while, then it's suddenly giving you the restriction problems, then there's got to be another factor that influencing it and causing the restriction -- i.e. weather (you may have developed a sensitivity to it) or even hormones, that time of the month, stress, etc. Start a journal and see if you notice if things are happening around the time you start having the trouble. It's worth a shot.

I had my fill Saturday. I'd gained 10 lbs. since April and I'm almost within 30 lbs. of where I started when I first had the band. So I'm ready to do things right and figure out why I don't want to stop eating, why I depend on food so much, etc. I've done everything to a "T" since Saturday like they told me. I've been cranky and testy and I know that is why -- it's hard to give up a vice you've depended on for so long. But I have to realize that I only need food to sustain my body -- not for anything else. That's a tough lesson and it'll be a life-long lesson.

I wish I could give you more answers -- just realize you have to figure out what the outside factors are that can cause your band to tighten up one day, when it was fine before. This is a foreign object placed inside our bodies, and since everyone is different, it could be anything causing your sudden restrictions. When it happens, go to clear, warm liquids for a couple of days and see if that helps. Also, as I mentioned before, try journaling and see if you notice any patterns, etc.

Good luck, sweetie and let me know if I can do anything else for you!

Slimmap, according to my doctor, it's the weather around here, and they seriously think that's what starting causing it. The barometric pressure in the air, as it drops, it can cause the band to restrict. After getting more fills, then having too much -- as the yo-yo started, I realized that I wasn't stopping eating at a 1/2 cup. If it was there, I was eating it whether I felt full or not (I usually did feel full). So I was overfilling the pouch and that can cause it to stretch out and ultimately cause a slip, where it's wanting to basically "spill over" and lay over the band. Just before my revision surgery, I knew something was wrong. I found myself drinking a lot of cold Water to see if I could feel it going through. When it was normal, I can feel cold going through the band. For the longest time, I couldn't feel that. When I went in and they checked it under flouroscopy, it was not only stretched, but had started to go over the band -- so since it wasn't "straight", things were just barely dripping through. That's when the dr. said it was time to do a revision and basically start over. But I know now, that this is my last chance for this -- for several reasons. One, is we no longer have the insurance we had when I got it in the beginning and had revision surgery in April. My husband changed jobs and we can't afford their insurance, plus from what I understand, insurance companies won't pick you up and cover previous LAP-BAND® procedures. Also, I know that the stretching was MY fault. I allowed myself to go back to bad habits instead of babying my band and treating it right. I know my biggest issue is overeating -- when I feel full, if I still have food on my plate, I want to eat it regardless. So that's why I've joined OA to help get a grip on that -- it's basically a disease and I have to learn how to control it.

So if you don't think it's the weather where you are affecting the band, could it possibly be bad eating habits? That's why a lot of us are overweight to begin with and were able to get the band. If your band feels fine for a while, then it's suddenly giving you the restriction problems, then there's got to be another factor that influencing it and causing the restriction -- i.e. weather (you may have developed a sensitivity to it) or even hormones, that time of the month, stress, etc. Start a journal and see if you notice if things are happening around the time you start having the trouble. It's worth a shot.

I had my fill Saturday. I'd gained 10 lbs. since April and I'm almost within 30 lbs. of where I started when I first had the band. So I'm ready to do things right and figure out why I don't want to stop eating, why I depend on food so much, etc. I've done everything to a "T" since Saturday like they told me. I've been cranky and testy and I know that is why -- it's hard to give up a vice you've depended on for so long. But I have to realize that I only need food to sustain my body -- not for anything else. That's a tough lesson and it'll be a life-long lesson.

I wish I could give you more answers -- just realize you have to figure out what the outside factors are that can cause your band to tighten up one day, when it was fine before. This is a foreign object placed inside our bodies, and since everyone is different, it could be anything causing your sudden restrictions. When it happens, go to clear, warm liquids for a couple of days and see if that helps. Also, as I mentioned before, try journaling and see if you notice any patterns, etc.

Good luck, sweetie and let me know if I can do anything else for you!

You had some very good ideas. Keeping a journal is a great idea because there are days that my band feels really good and tight, and other times when it feels like I could eat all day and never be full. There could very well be a connection between time of the month, or a change in the weather. It is starting to get cold here, and I noticed that my band is working better. Come to think of it, that is when I did best last year, when it was cold. But really, I don't know so I will keep a journal. Also you were right on target about what I am eating. I have grown discouraged and not eaten the proper foods or tried to get in enough Protein (which is not very good for my hair...it has been falling out so I have gotten back on the wagon with Protein and asking myself "Am I really hungry?". It was so easy the first year. The band just did the work for me. Now it seems I am having to do some hard work if I want to lose this weight once and for all. But you raised some points that I have been telling myself recently. So I guess that I have to do as you do, and that is baby my band, eat right, get in my Proteins, etc. I am a self pay so if I need a revision I am out of luck. I couldn't afford to do this again. You are very sweet for answering my questions and being so helpful. I think, thanks to you, I have my answer. I am expecting the band to do the work for me when I should be working with my band.

Anyway, thankyou again. Good luck to you also. I hope I can help somebody the way you have helped me.

Thanks! I'm in no way an expert in this, especially with the troubles I've had! But I realized that I was lucky enough to be able to get this band, when so many others would give their right arm to get it, and yet I'm letting it go to waste, in a way. I'm like you -- the first year it was so easy and it pretty much did all the work, but now it's time I do the work and help it!

When you do your journaling, be sure to note the temperature/weather conditions each day, whether it's that time of the month, etc., as well as how you and your band are feeling so in the future when you look back to see if there's a pattern when you have problems, you'll know where to start.

Today is my day to start regular foods -- and I'm already feeling stressed about it. But I know what I have to do to achieve what I want.....

Good luck, sweetie, I'm glad I could offer you some help, or at least some things to think about. Like I said, I'm no expert on this band at all, but glad I could be of some help! Let me know how it's going!

I live in the DFW area and the weather does affect me. More so my allergies than the actual weather probably. There are times when I have to go on liquids and liquid mucinex and/or liquid allergy meds to help with the phlem. I haven't had the extremes you have (I still have my original band), but when my allergies act up I too have night coughing etc. I am at the perfect restriction at the moment (thanks to another fill in Aug), but if the weather or my allergies get out of control, I get too tight. I try to deal with it at home, but won't hesitate to go in if I feel like it's gotten out of control. TOM also plays a big part. there are several days/month that I have to go on liquids for that reason no matter what the weather is doing. If that goes on too long you will also get inflammed which then in turn causes more swelling, etc. It can really be a viscious cycle. I keep children's Ibuprofen on hand for those times too. Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I can relate and that yes the weather sucks. :tongue2: Good luck!