Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone,

I will be banded in mid Oct...and I'm self pay...

The "global price" includes all services/surgery/hospital stay/etc. This includes 3 nights in the hospital if I want/need it. There is no refund if I stay less than the 3 nights.

So the question is...did any of you leave same day or next day from surgery and wish you had stayed longer in the hospital? confused.gif

I don't sleep well in the hospital (who does?), but I like the idea of having IV meds handy just in case as well as the nursing staff for the extra assistance/care.

Thanks for the advice! :)

I did, for what our area seems to be the norm I had surgery early am on day one, went home late afternoon day 2. I slept ok at the hospital, would have slept better if they didn't wake you up for idiotic reasons. My wife spent the first 3 days at my side pretty much getting me anything I needed, so in my case, being home was a little easier. It was just a pain (real) getting in an out of the car, but once home things were great.

I had my surgery around 1 p.m. on a Wednesday and left the hospital by noon the following day. I was exhausted from the anesthesia and pain meds but they barely let me sleep... someone was constantly checking my temperature, blood pressure, etc. Walking up and down the hospital hallways was a PITA with the IV. Plus, I had to share a room/TV. I was much more comfortable when I got home. My DH isn't particularly solicitous (thinks he is, though) but I got by okay.

I had a 24 hour stay in the hospital after surgery. I think that was plenty of time. I think 3 days is alot if you don't have complications. That sucks to have to pay for days in the hospital if you don't need them.

Hi. I stayed one night and slept really bad. i don't think that i would have slept any better at home. i think a one night stay is a good idea. the nurses are there and can help you whenever you need help or pain meds. i just had mine done last fri.

I went home same day. No problems, they made sure I could walk around & use rest room before they let me go.

I was self pay and got charged for two nights at a hotel when I didn't need them. I had the surgery at noon and was at my Mother's by five and that's with a HH repair as well.

3 nights!? That's crazy!!! I left the hospital two hours after my surgery. As soon as I was awake, walking around and drinking Water, they sent me home.

Maybe you should look into another hospital? I know that all the hospitals in my area preform the lap-band surgery same day/outpatient.

Good luck! Let us all know how it goes.:blink:

The Blubber Blog

I had surgery at 11:30am and was home by 4pm. I am glad, because I HATE being in the hospital.

I stayed one night (insurance requirements). I didn't sleep at all thanks to those compression things they put on my legs to prevent blood clots. They squeezed my calves so tightly that the pain from them was worse than the pain from the surgery. I ended up taking them off at around 3:00 a.m. and daring the nurse to put them back on! I could easily have gone home the same day, but I suppose I am glad that I spent one night just in case some issue would have arisen. Three nights? Seems very unnecessary, but perhaps your doc requires that for those rare occasions when an extended stay is a must.

Good luck!

I stayed 24 hours for observation because I had a difficult time keeping my oxygen levels up after surgery. BUT it was because they gave me dilaudid and fentanyl for pain, and both suppress the respiratory system. As a nursing student, I say if everything goes as planned without complications, get out of there ASAP! There are some YUCKY infections floating around the hospital that you don't want to catch! MRSA, VRE, just to name a couple :blink:

But overall it depends on who you have to care for you at home. I was able to come home and have my parents take care of me. If you don't have anyone, you might want to stay a day or two. I appreciated having the nurses there to manage my pain, and also the IV's are important to stay hydrated, as I wasn't able to drink much.

I had my surg. on 9/2 at 7:30am and was out by 12:30pm. I was sore but ok. They rousted me 1/2 hr.after surg.and had me stand up and I was not ready yet... so onto oxygen for 2 hrs. but then I came around and not saying I felt great. But I had a 1.5 hr. trip home and did it sitting up and alert and did not even need any pain meds or a nap til about 8:00 that nite. I was doing 1/2 hr. on the recumbent bike at the gym on day 8. I was only the 2nd person here to have the surg.same day and the other girl left within 1/2 hr. of me (sooner if you can believe it). I was a bit nervous about leaving after trying to stand up too soon but after that fear receeded, I realized I was fine. The hospital might have protocols that won't allow it though. I walked into the surgery room too and jumped up on that crucifix shaped table.. now THAT was very sureal feeling!

Good Luck. Too me it felt a bit more than a gallbladder surgery- not too bad. Get yourself a pair of nite tight high waisted panties to wear- it helps. I got some Spanx since I was told they were great but they are a bit much for me...I like just a plain pair of tight panties (Not a full girtle- those are brutal to get on and off).:blink:

Just another note, other than the initial pain doses of Dilaudid and Fentanyl that I received in the PACU, I did not receive any IV pain meds. They were all PO (by mouth). I doubt that you staying longer would get you any IV pain meds. In my case, what the nurses gave me in the hospital was exactly what they sent me home on...Lortab elixir, which relieved my pain effectively. :blink:

I was one of those who had complications. I had spent 3 nights in the hospital and would have been glad if they had kept me for 4!! My DH was wonderful taking care of me!