Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone,

I will be banded in mid Oct...and I'm self pay...

The "global price" includes all services/surgery/hospital stay/etc. This includes 3 nights in the hospital if I want/need it. There is no refund if I stay less than the 3 nights.

So the question is...did any of you leave same day or next day from surgery and wish you had stayed longer in the hospital? :)

I don't sleep well in the hospital (who does?), but I like the idea of having IV meds handy just in case as well as the nursing staff for the extra assistance/care.

Thanks for the advice! :thumbdown:

Hi,

I was also self pay. My package only included one night in the hospital. I had a complication that required I stayed an additional night. Like you, I hated the thought of sleeping in the hospital, but I have to say, having a nurse there to stay on top of my medication and having assistance getting up and around, was all a big plus. I would definitely stay for one night and if you are still feeling crappy and they allow it, stay longer. I have to admit I was a little antsy when they said I *had* to stay. I wanted to get in my own bed. I think the hospital bed was actually more comfortable those first two nights since I could adjust it. When I got home I had to sleep in the recliner anyway :)

I am self pay also and required to stay 1 night after surgery. I also have up to a 3 night stay included. I did not even think about what happens if I don't use it...hmmmm...guess it is there "just in case".

My surgery is September 23rd....:)

Good luck with your surgery!!

I only stayed one night. Had the surgery on a Friday afternoon and left Saturday around 5 p.m. I had several IV bags of antibiotic and had to wait for the last one at 4 p.m. Saturday. My doctor has the hospital do an mini upper GI the day after surgery to make sure everything's in the right place. I felt great on the day I left and I could have left sooner if I didn't have to do the IV.

Good luck!

I had some complications and ended up staying in the hospital 3 nights. I am so glad that I did, because even with my husbands excellent help, we could not have taken care of me at home. I was glad to get home, but would have been glad to stay a 4th night if I could have.

Definately stay the first night! IV morophine will be your friend...you will generally feel crappy that first day/night so take advantage of the nursing help and meds available to you.

I was on the fence about staying but in the end I am really glad I chose to stay!

Good Luck!

I was self pay. My surgery was at 1:00pm and I was out of there before 5:00pm. I only took the liquid vicodin through that first night. I was lucky to have no complications that would keep me in the hospital.

The only complications I did have were a severe headache (for 4 days) and dry mouth for a week brought on by the anesthesia and vicodin.

I am so glad it was true "outpatient" and I do not feel that I should have stayed. I hope all goes as well for you.

Well I am NOT self pay and I am an outpatient person. 5-6 hours with no complications prayfully.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Theweightisover2024🙌💪

Question for anyone, how did you get your mind right before surgery? Like as far as eating better foods and just doing better in general? I'm having a really hard time with this. Any help is appreciated 🙏❤️
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

I had about 6 months between deciding to do surgery and getting scheduled. I came across the book The Pound of Cure by Dr. Matthew Weiner, a bariatric surgeon in Arizona, and started to implement some of the changes he recommended (and lost 13 lbs in the process without ever feeling deprived). The book is very simple, and the focus is on whole, plant based foods, but within reason. It's not an all or nothing approach, or going vegan or something, but focuses on improvement and aiming for getting it right 80-90% of the time. His suggestions are divided into 12 sections that you can tackle over time, perhaps one per month for a year if a person is just trying to improve nutrition and build good habits. They range from things like cutting out artificial sweetener or eating more beans to eating a pound of vegetables per day. I found it really effective pre-surgery and it's an eating style I will be working to get back to as I am further out from surgery and have more capacity. Small changes you can sustain will do the most for building good habits for life.

2. Theweightisover2024🙌💪

That sounds awesome. I'll have to check that out thanks!

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches