Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can anybody tell me why this happened?

I have been banded since July 28th. I got my first fill on Sept. 2nd. Well, I still do not have much restriction, but watching closely what I eat. Okay, so today I was eating 1/2 of a chicken breast. I thought I was chewwing good and eating slowly-since I have been practicing this since before the surgery. But what happened was I felt a bad pain and could feel the chicken going through the band into my stomach. I felt like I couldn't even breathe and finally took a couple sips of Water, thinking that it might have been dry, but it didn't really help. Has anybody else felt this???

Yes that's what a minor "stuck" incident feels like.

Having food get stuck is fairly common. I'm surprised you hadn't come across this in researching your surgery or life-after-the-band.

For me, usually it passes quickly but I've had at least one instance where it took a few hours for it to clear.

Ok, I have read about getting food stuck, but I guess i thought when it gets stuck, the only way to get it out was to bring it back up. :thumbup: So I probably didn't chew as well as I thought---won't do that again!!! Thanks alot for the help!!

Most of the time it goes down (for me). The one time, it did come back up. But like I said - ACK - it took like 3 hours for it to resolve. Live and learn.

Good luck!

If I may suggest it, buy some papaya enzyme and keep it on hand. It will help dissolve stuck Protein (and the one I have is formulated with lipase and cellulase so it will also dissolve fat and veggie matter). It doesn't work on living tissue, and it has saved my fanny and my sanity AND my evening more than once.

If you are stuck and it won't go through, Papaya enzyme can almost be miraculous.

Hey Restless,

I have been impressed by your answers on this forum. Now I find myself seeking an answer....where do you get your papaya enzyme? Health food store?

O.K. that was a couple of answers I need....

Thanks

Walgreens has it. Mine is "NOW" brand but any should work. If you have a large supermarket, it may carry it too. My DH bought the bottle I have now, but I'm getting another bottle to keep in my purse. I love it. :thumbup:

AND thanks for your kind words! :frown:

Sorry to say it, but it will happen again. What tiggers it for me has been different each time. One forkfull to many, time of day, not chewing well, or eatting to fast. I have eaten something for lunch that won't go down at dinner. I flew recently and the second day I couldn't eat. This week I can't comfortably eat until I have been up a couple of hours, this is new. I find if I can get to the restroom or side of the road most recently, stand up straight and cough I can get enough slime up to get relief. I will be at Walgreens soon to get the product restless mentioned.

Restless Monkey:

What form is your papaya enzyme? chewable, liquid? I'm not allowed to have pills yet. And am darned tired of crushing my meds!

I am a little confused. If she felt it go through the band to the lower part of her stomach, why would it still cause problems? And, I too am heading to Walgreens first thing in the morning to get my Papaya enzyme. I was just banded on 9-1-09 and am still on liquids, but that is too scary.

Ok, I have read about getting food stuck, but I guess i thought when it gets stuck, the only way to get it out was to bring it back up. :thumbup: So I probably didn't chew as well as I thought---won't do that again!!! Thanks alot for the help!!

chicken is a difficult food for many people. Besides the small bites and chewing well, dark meat goes down better and some sort of sauce or liquid helps it down as well.

My papaya enzyme is a chewable and like Restless I have it on my grocery list so I have a bottle at home and one in my purse just to be safe. It really is a lifesaver. At the first sign of a problem I chew 2 and walk around.

I think even though the food goes through it can cause problems because it has irritated the narrowing where the band is. Just because it has passed doesn't mean it went willingly!!! I notice I am sore after a stuck episode. If it is a bigger stuck episode I go to liquids, then progress to soft foods as instructed by my doc.

Did you notice increased mucus with it? I ALWAYS have that accompanying a stuck episode - yuck. In some ways that is worse than being stuck and as much as it is trying to help me pass that food, for the most part I think it just piles up on top!

Thanks Restless! I have to go to town today, so I will stop at Walgreens and get me some. Thanks for the idea of 2 bottles...makes sense.:thumbup:

Restless Monkey:

What form is your papaya enzyme? chewable, liquid? I'm not allowed to have pills yet. And am darned tired of crushing my meds!

As another poster said, it's chewable! I read about it on here and am happy to pass it on! :laugh: I figured it couldn't work or if it did it would tear up my esohpagus but then found on it doesn't work on living tissue, so I tried it and BAM! relief!

And I'm shocked you can't just take your pills. Check with your doc! I didn't take many during liquids (thinks like Vitamins can upset the stomach if there's no food in there) but once I was on mushies I took everything and have since then, over a year now. Each doc is a little different but mine never told me I couldn't. He just said to crush the crushables or get liquid IF pills gave me a problem. :cursing:

Thank goodness,