Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Sure What's Happening

I had my 2nd fill last Tues, my doc added 2 cc's which brought it up to a total of 4cc's. Thursday I had what I think may have been getting stuck. I wasn't paying attention to my chewing, and I had terrible pain. It went down on its own, but there was a lot of bubbling noise, and it felt as thought I might vomit. Since then it seems that I get a little discomfort everytime I eat something that isn't soft. I don't know if I am eating to much or too fast, or if maybe I am just too tight. If I am eating too much than I can't eat more than maybe a 1/2 cup of food. I had very little to no restriction before my 2nd fill, so I have not experienced these feelings before now. I am really not sure what is going on...is what I am feeling getting stuck or being too tight?

The goal is to have enough restriction so that you don't eat too much. It sounds like you may be at perfect restriction. Just slow down and concentrate when you eat. Chew, chew, chew. Eating less is great! It does sound like you were stuck but it was able to work its way down.

When I get stuck I slime. Meaning I have to keep spitting out saliva. The stuck food will either make its way down or come back up. If it comes back up, you should return to liquids for the remainder of that day then go at eating again the next day.

Hope this helps!

Donna

I to had my second fill on August 10th. my food has been getting stuck when I don't chew will enough, and it a terrible pain that hurts like heck.. I had a couple of pills to even get stuck and it felt as if my espoghas kept contracting trying to push it down,, it was hurting and brought tears to my eyes.. I tell you it's not a pleasant filling.. I would suggest like I was suggested to take smaller bites, that helps me a lot.. and then chew, chew chew.. you should be fine.. Hope this helps..

It seems as though the stuck feeling isn't going away. This morning had some scrambled eggs with ham. I ate slow, and chewed completely. Its been several hrs now, and it feels like there is still something stuck??? It almost feels like I have heart burn, but without the burning, if that makes any sense at all. Its like the food is just sitting there or something. I haven't experienced any slimming at all. Could this be something other than food getting stuck?

Edited by ~Michelle~

Hey...I have had this exact thing happen to me...

I tried to eat speghatti which i found out I can no longer do..

the noodles would not go down...so i made myself throw up..but it still felt like there was something stuck...just like you described like heart burn with no burning...so I waited a little while and then tried to drink a smoothie and that wouldnt go down...so i went on Clear Liquids for 24 hours and apparently my stomach was just swollen and nothing was truely stuck in there.. 24 hours later i was good....

it is scary because i thought that i was gonna have to go to dr to get saline taken out but i only have 2cc currently and little restriction...

It seems as though the stuck feeling isn't going away. This morning had some scrambled eggs with ham. I ate slow, and chewed completely. Its been several hrs now, and it feels like there is still something stuck??? It almost feels like I have heart burn, but without the burning, if that makes any sense at all. Its like the food is just sitting there or something. I haven't experienced any slimming at all. Could this be something other than food getting stuck?

Just to be on the safe side, you might want to give your doc's office a call. The continued "stuck" feeling after several hours just doesn't sound right.

Good luck!

I agree - call your doctor's office if you continue to feel things are not right.

I had a really bad stuck episode a week ago and talked with my doctor's office. They told me to try drinking something warm to help with the irritation. Even liquids weren't working at that point so they told me to not take anything in, that I would have to wait for the swelling to go down, and when it did to slowly start out with liquids for 2 days and soft foods for 2 days before going back to solids.

I've learned I really have to respect this band. If I irritate it, I need to go back to the basics and give it time to settle down and work back into solids slowly. I pushed it with my last episode and it just made things worse. That 4 hours of being stuck gave me a whole new perspective on the band - talk about aversion therapy! From now on I'm chewing like crazy and at the first sign that a food is not working for me I'm stopping.

I had my 2nd fill last Tues, my doc added 2 cc's which brought it up to a total of 4cc's. Thursday I had what I think may have been getting stuck. I wasn't paying attention to my chewing, and I had terrible pain. It went down on its own, but there was a lot of bubbling noise, and it felt as thought I might vomit. Since then it seems that I get a little discomfort everytime I eat something that isn't soft. I don't know if I am eating to much or too fast, or if maybe I am just too tight. If I am eating too much than I can't eat more than maybe a 1/2 cup of food. I had very little to no restriction before my 2nd fill, so I have not experienced these feelings before now. I am really not sure what is going on...is what I am feeling getting stuck or being too tight?

So glad you posted this bc I was about to post...well pretty much the same thing.

I got my first fill 8/12 (4cc) and i could pretty much eat anything... and even if I forgot to REALLY CHEW...it wasnt a problem. my doc said i need more. So, I went back on 8/24 ...I now have 5.5cc total.. and i am experiencing everyhthing listed in this blog! I was on liquids Monday and Tuesday. This morning I ate (literally) a few bites and had that stuck feeling! not pleasurable AT ALL! I waited and tried to take a few TINY bites and CHEW...still the same.

I didnt PB, but I did have to spit up some saliva...

Liquids go down just fine. I was concerned, but after reading this thread...i realize ..maybe I am just a little swollen still? I dont want to immeditately assume I am too tight and get an unfill. I think this restriction will be perfect (I HOPE!) but hopefully, since I just had the second fill...it'll take some time to adjust and learn what I have can and when?

Good luck!!

The stuck feeling is no fun is it? With each fill, as your band gets tighter you may find that some foods no longer suit you and you soon learn which foods to avoid.

I am no longer able to eat scrambled eggs, bread or Pasta.

You will get to know which foods suit you and which don't.

Sue

Banded November 08 weight 260lbs, August 09 weight 149lbs

Well I am going in for a slight unfil today....even drinking Water gives me some discomfort, and hours after eating it feels really tight. Even if I eat yogurt or oatmeal, it will feel tight. More than a few bites, and it starts to feel tight. Maybe I am being a sissy about it, but think an unfil will help. Also I think I may have got some bad habits while I had no restriction, and need to slow down, and chew and drink slower. I think with less restriction while I retrain myself will help. I have not vomitted or PB'd yet, and want to keep it that way. Its hard to believe that 4 cc's would be too tight, but maybe 3 is where I need to be.

Well I am going in for a slight unfil today....even drinking Water gives me some discomfort, and hours after eating it feels really tight. Even if I eat yogurt or oatmeal, it will feel tight. More than a few bites, and it starts to feel tight. Maybe I am being a sissy about it, but think an unfil will help. Also I think I may have got some bad habits while I had no restriction, and need to slow down, and chew and drink slower. I think with less restriction while I retrain myself will help. I have not vomitted or PB'd yet, and want to keep it that way. Its hard to believe that 4 cc's would be too tight, but maybe 3 is where I need to be.

Try having just a slight unfill like maybe .25 or .5 cc

I wouldn't opt for an unfil quite this soon. I've had one unfil - but restriction was so bad that I couldn't swallow - it's a learning experience but you want the restriction you've got - It's just not always to deal with "not being able to eat like we used to" Eat slow and chew well - things will give some with time.

Good decision to have an unfill to a level you are more comfortable with, i can never understand why some bandsters struggle on with tiher bands so tight that they can barely eat any solid food.

I prefer to keep my band looser so I have a much better choice of foods I can eat. The foods I can't eat aren't ones that I miss.

I like to be able to eat solid Proteins, veggies, fruit and salad. it works for me, only 6lbs to my goal weight.

Sue

I think I am going to have 1 cc taken out, and then I have another appt on Sept 22nd, and if I need more than I will have the Dr put in .5 cc. Thankfully even though I am self pay my surgeon has 1 year aftercare, with 15 fills. I really don't like this tight feeling, I have it even when I am not eating. I would rather be comfortable, and be able to eat solid Proteins too, as long as I am loosing weight I am happy.