Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disappointed

OKAY, I am about 2 months post op. I have lost about 21 pounds but most of that was from preop and first week after surgery. I had my first fill on August 5th and have only lost 2 pounds since then. I don't have any restriction at all. I lost the 2 lbs from pure will power. I am so sad that I took this drastic step and i have had little weight loss in the past 6 weeks. I didnt tell alot of people but when I run into people that I told I know they are looking at me thinking "she had weight loss surgery and she looks the same". I have read alot on here that sometimes it takes several fills to feel restriciton. I really hope I can get there with future fills. Any advice would be appreciated, because it is slow I am losing my motivation to do my part please help. Thanks

Hi, I am sorry to hear that you are disappointed but I think we are in the same boat. I had surgery on 7-1-09 and didnt have restriction for the first month. It is better since I have got a few fills but it still feels like I should see more of a difference and should see the scales go down. I have only lost 25 pounds pre op and post op and had started to get really down and out about it but then I thought it hasnt been 2 months yet and at least I didnt gain 25 more. If you dont have any restriction you should be able to go for another fill now. I'm just going by my surgeon's rule of thumb, every two weeks until he finds my "sweet spot". I hope you see improvement very soon. If you would like we can stay in touch. We were banded pretty close to the same time and we are both pretty new. My email address is melinda_205@yahoo.com or face book is melinda ferguson. Best of luck with your band...just remember we are new and maybe once we get the hang of things and our bands finally start working for us we may actually shed some real pounds!

Thanks Melinda for responding so quickley. I have had 1 fill, for some reason my doctor only gives fills every 4 weeks, but of course when i left to schedule the next one he didn't have anything available until 5 weeks which i Sep, 2. I would love to keep in touch with you so we can tackle this journey together. I too am on Facebook Teena Manns, but alot of family is on there who dont know that I have the band so we can keep in touch via private posts. I will add you to my face book. Once again thanks so much Keep me posted on how you are doing.

What I heard about lap-band before I had my surgery was that it can be slow, so go easy on yourself. You have lost 25% of the weight you intend to lose and that's a major accomplishment, so keep with it! It'll happen!

Hey Teena, sure we can keep in touch by email. You are welcome to find me on Facebook but if you are keeping your surgery private for now, I have stuff about lap band posted. We can do this and in a few weeks or maybe a few months we will be so happy to post how much weight we have lost. Good luck!

Hi ladies,

I am also 2 months post op and exactly the same. I have my third fill next week and I am really embarassed to go to the apoointment as I am exactly the same weight as 6 weeks ago.

Hi ladies,

I am also 2 months post op and exactly the same. I have my third fill next week and I am really embarassed to go to the apoointment as I am exactly the same weight as 6 weeks ago.

The fact that you weight the exact same as you did 6 weeks ago is a VERY good indication that you are due for a fill. It may take many fills before you reach your "sweet spot". Don't be embarassed. Go for your fill and you will see a difference.

Planet65

I was the same for the first two fills. It will get better and I was surprised to find out that I actually weighed 2 pounds less at the doctor's office! I know that I am going at a really slow pace but I just reallystarted to exercise. I joined the "August mile challenge" on this site just so I would be accountable to someone besides myself and get my butt off the couch. It carries on from month to month so this isnt the last month to do it. I also found a place on the site that is "July weigh in" and looking at it has helped me to not feel so bad about my weight loss. These are just things that I have done to help me not feel so bad. At least we all are having the same issue so we can vent to each other. What was your surgery date? Just curious. Why is your surgeon waiting so long between your fills? My doctor is very good at letting you get fills he allows me to come in every two weeks until we find my sweet spot, but I had to wait for a month to get my first fill! GO TO THE DOCTOR, THAT IS WHY WE HAD THIS DONE. THE DOCTOR SHOULD BE EMBARASSED FOR MAKING YOU WAIT SO LONG! It will get better. Good Luck.

Edited by melinda_205
needed to add something

Hi Ladies

Thankyou for all sharing your stories. I also am 2 months out and not losing much. I like the others have said am feeling like I took such a drastic step for very little result. I am in Australia and have had 3 fills (if you include the fill put in during surgery and I am yet to find restriction. It is reassuring to read that others are in the "same boat" as me, cause I have only spoken to the ones that are doing fantastically and it is a bit disheartening.

Tanya

I'm going in for my surgery next month and my surgeon made sure over and over again to tell me it is NOT a quick fix. Your supposed to loose slowly. I wouldn't be overly concerned at this point. Slow and steady will win this race we are on.

I felt the same way, until my second fill. I don't think I'll go for a third. I do know I need to go for a check up at 3 months. But, I am getting full and staying full, most of the time. I have those days where I feel like I could eat a horse ( and I'm a vegetarian :) ). But, then there are those days I feel almost too restricted. Most days, It takes about a cup of food to fill me up and to stay full for a few hours. I'm afraid if I go for the scheduled third fill, I'll be to restricted and need to go back for an un-fill.

Don't fret to much about it, you'll get there.

May I ask if you are working out? Working full-time and being a full-time student, I don't have a lot of time. But, I try to do 2 miles I the treadmill 3 times a week.

And remember, the band is supposed to be a slow and healthy weight loss system.

Good luck!

Hi Kristine, we are in the same boat. I am also a full time student and work (I commute 1.5 hrs 1 way to class) so I dont have a lot of time to work out either. However, I have just recently made it a priority to exercise each day. I try to walk between 2-2.5 miles each day. If I have spare time or energy I try to add a different exercise in also. Good luck on your journey!

Hi TinyT, I unerstand completely about taking such a drastic step to see such little progress. I know that I didnt put the weight on over night but I also want to see better results. I feel like I am doing my part with eating right and now I have started exercising and not to mention I paid out of pocket. I want to feel like I am getting something for my money and if you break that down by the price per pound....it sucks.

I'm a very "want it now" girl...but I'm learning to be patient with the band. To continue to do what I'm supposed to do and it time,with fills,it will start doing what it's supposed to be doing...

Ladies,

You will begin to loose at a steady rate of 1-2 pounds per week very soon. Please don't be so hard on yourselves. Perfect restriction takes time to achieve. In the meantime, make sure you eat enough. If you don't, your body will store fat. Be sure to exercise at least 30 minutes per day (AT LEAST). You didn't put the weight on overnight and it isn't going to come off overnight. Be patient and do everything right and it will happen.

Also, fills should be done as YOU need them. Do not compare your fill levels to others. The amount of fill you require is as individual as our personalities.

Good luck!