Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long until you went back to work

Hi all my surgery is 8/20 and my Dr says I will need 2-3 weeks to recover and return to work. I was wondering if some of you can share your recovery time and how long were you out of work?

Dang, did you have a leg cut off? Just teasing.

I was out a total of three days (including the day of surgery. We all heal differently, but I was fine on the 4th day to be at work. On the 3rd day, I did some grocery shopping (just didn't carry them in the house), took a pretty good walk (a couple of miles), and sat around the house, no naps.

You have to listen to your body. Go back to work if you feel up to it. Go back for a couple of half days in case you get too tired. Just remember to think positively, follow doctor's orders ... and listen to your body.

I went back to work in 3 days and really needed at least one more day. The day after surgery I stayed in bed the rest of night except to walk 20 minutes up and down driveway. Next two days I was in the house only except for the 20 minute walks. I would take at least 4 days off if I had to do it again, but like they say everyone is different. But 2 - 3 weeks is too long for lap band unless you want to add a vacation in there too.

I bounced back pretty quickly. I came out of anesthesia with little fogginess and was walking the halls that night. I had surgery on 7/31 and was back to work 8/5. I had very little pain and was driving and shopping the day after I got home, although. I didn't lift anything heavy. But, of course, everyone's different.

Good luck with your surgery!

Edited by Julia_N
Forgot some stuff!

I think it depends on what type of work you do. I'm a nurse and my job requires heavy lifting, lots of running around, not to mention working 12 hour shifts. I opted to take 2 weeks off but was actually given 3 weeks by work. After 2 weeks I could have gone back but the 3rd week definitely helped. My first week back was extremely hard. Even though I didn't lift the patients, I was on my feet the entire 12 hours, running around, and my stomach and incisions were extremely sore by the end of it.

Listen to your body. Even if you haven't had surgery, you probably know how your pain tolerance is. Also think about the type of work you do. You probably won't need 3 weeks, but I think it's better to take off too many days than it is to take off not enough days

Two to three weeks does seem like a long time, unless you have a high impact job! I had my surgery on a Monday and was out the entire week. I just returned to work this Monday, and I feel like I could have used a few more days. Sitting up in the chair all day definitely makes my incisions and stomach hurt. Also, I've been having severe lower back pain....all combined, I wish I could still be at home!

So, I would say at least a week, but maybe a little more. The people who posted above seem to have been very fortunate with wonderful recoveries!!!

I had my surgery last Wednesday, and yesterday was my first day back to work. I don't think I could have gone back any sooner, I didn't bounce back as fast as I thought I would. I had a hernia repair with my surgery....maybe that was it. I would say 4-5 days off at least, you may feel better sooner than that, but a few extra days off to relax can't hurt. Good luck!

Thank You all so much for the very helpfull info. This site is Amazing!!! Great people Great info (2 thumbs up)

I like to think that I have a high pain tolerance. The first 4 days were really bad for me, I couldn't get out of bed without assistance and was in a lot of pain moving. After about a week I was doing better, but I think that taking the 3 weeks off, I was able to rest as much as I needed to and not push it at my job. With my port revision, it was a mere 2 days and I was fine. I also wonder if it depends on how much they have to move things around, I'm pretty sure my liver was very fatty and might have impeded things.

I'm just nervous about the recovery. I had a c-section only 7 months ago and remembering that recovery.

I'm just nervous about the recovery. I had a c-section only 7 months ago and remembering that recovery.

What do you do for a living?

I think a big part of it has to do with what your job entails.

I'm a pharmacy Tech for an insurance comp so I sit all day. Does sitting all day.

Well that's good that you'll be sitting rather than moving around a lot. Although I'd stretch every now and then. I found that when I sat in an upright position too long, my stomach got a little sore from leaning forward.

Do you have a high or low pain tolerance? How long after your c-section did you feel you were ok to work again? It's not going to be the same, but at least you have had some surgery to compare it to.

That recovery was horrible it took me 2 weeks to even begin to feel normal.....that's why I feel like if I went through that I could do anything lol

The doc who does my medically supervised weight mgmt is part of the group that my surgeon is in. She says that I will get 1 week off. Naturally, I want to take as much time as I can get and would be much happier with 2 weeks off.

Has anyone been able to talk their doc into a longer time that originally planned for?

I do IT in a hospital, so I can always say that I lift computers and monitors alot!?