Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Overnight Hospital stay?

I am attending info sessions in my area and one in particular states that the doctor requires an overnight hospital stay due to safety (pain monitoring/sleep apnea after surgery, et). This made me nervous about all the other programs. Also this doctor uses more sutures to keep the band from slipping. All this sounds good. I am wondering if it is common or really necessary for an overnight hospital stay? This is not a make or break it deal for me, I guess I am just wondering how common it is overall. Doc sounds great but clinic doesnt offer some of the wonderful follow up care (yes program, but not as personable as the private clinics/programs). Doc has a great reputation though, as do the others in my area. Costs will all be about the same when all is said and done.

My doc required overnight, and I was more than happy to stay because I was already very nervous about the procedure and I would rather be at the hospital and something go wrong vs being at home at something happen.

Turns out I had/have a hematoma at my port site and I had some difficulty breathing. Luckily everytime my numbers got too low, an alarm (beeping) would go off (and usually it went off when I fell asleep), so I would just get up and walk around a bit and that would do it. But the overnight stay was I guess added security for me.

I had an overnight stay , which is fairly standard procedure here in Australia.

I had to stay overnight due to my heart condition. It was fairly uneventul and I was gone by early morning.

I think it is standard procedure. The only way that My doctor will do same day is self-pay. It is very routine from what I hear.

Greg

My doctor requires all his patients to stay overnight, which is fine with me.

Last time I started this process (3 yrs ago) they found I had a deformed heart valve that needed replacing. So I had my open heart surgery, and have done nicely since. However when I did (numerous) pre-op cardiac testing this time they found I have a few extra heart beats occassionally.

My point being I would rather have the extra few hours of medical care due to my heart issues. Also, just from life experience, it dictates that STUFF happens, and even the healthiest people can have complications...especially people who are overweight. I think that pretty much cover(ed)s us all!

If your insurance covers it and its not an unbearable expense, welcome it. It was much easier to go home the next day.

my dr. requires an overnight, too -- we are warned that the nurses will be waking us up every two hours for us to walk to prevent any blood clots; we're released the following afternoon, after 'lunch', when the dr. is satisfied that we can keep our liquids down...

My doctor has you stay overnight because the next day, you get an upper GI -- at least that's the procedure here. I was able to see my band on a fluoroscope. I went home in the late afternoon, after a course of IV antibiotics.

My doctor does outpatient, unless you have sleep apnea, which would require an overnight stay. I'm almost positive I have it, but won't know until I have my test in a couple of weeks.

I also stayed overnight- I was told it was because of my sleep apnea (not officially diagnosed) . They kept me in ICU. I am glad I did-- not that anything went wrong but it was just nice to have someone take care of me without the distractions which are at my house

Hi:

I stayed overnight and was glad that I did. I had very bad nausea and dryheaves from the anesthesia after surgery for the first 18 hours or so. It was much better to be there and also to have a barium swallow to make sure my dryheaves didn't cause my band to move.

Best wishes to you. I love my band and my new flat tummy!

My only regret with my band is that I didn't do it sooner!

Sue

i had an overnight stay as well. i was admitted on a thursday at 7:00 AM, surgery was at 9 and i went home the next day at 6:00 in the evening. I would have gone home sooner but it took the kitchen some time to get a tray of liquids to my room. my surgeon had me do a swallow study prior to granting my release to make sure everything flowed fine. personally, i was glad for the extended stay. i wasn't in pain but i felt more secure being in the hospital in case any complications had arrisen. the only thing i truely hated about the whole experiance was the heperin shots, which i recieved every few hours to prevent any clotting. those shots burned and i think they hurt worse than any part of the whole procedure.

I am an American living in Germany (my husband is Army) I had my lapband done on Friday 14th...I was required to enter the hospital on Thursday for bloodwork, EKG, then surgery on Friday. Stayed over Friday and Saturday, went home Sunday around noon. He said he likes to be extra cautious because most problems occur shortly after surgery. I felt safer but was READY to get out of there and go home!