Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Also a new resident in Onederland

I'm back in Onederland after being away for 23 years. I started at a BMI of 36. That is less than many of you, does that make it any easier for me? While at some pre-surgery support groups and at informational meetings, I did get some looks and remarks from people heavier than me.

I had severe high blood pressure and severe sleep apnea. Doctors thought my weight was a major factor for both. Well guess what, they were right. I am no longer on any blood pressure medicine and I'm off that @#$ cpap machine forever! I would encourage anyone who is on the border and you have the means to go for it! I haven't been happier since the day my daughter was born 25 years ago. Next year when she gets married, my tux pants will be 34" not 42" and I'll be happy to be in the pictures

Great post. What an inspiration. I have a BMI of nearly 35 but also have severe HTN, so I am going for the band end of August. I feel a little uncomfortable in the waiting room with the other candidates, but I try to remember that they don't know about my state of health. I'm very hopeful to get off the meds and your story really helped. Thanks.

Like you, my BMI was below 40 (I think it was 37-38). I had sleep apnea, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, joint arhtritis (knees), reflux, everything but diabetes (though that runs in the family and I likely would have gotten it at some point). I started going to group support a good 6 months before surgery. I wear scrubs at work and I was in 2x sizes, and even with that I had a post-op tell me I didn't look heavy enough (at 252, and 5'7") to need surgery. I just ignored her and did my thing. Now a year and a half out, I am 110 lbs lighter and wearing size small scrubs thank you very much. I am also no longer taking meds for cholesterol (I was on 2), reflux, and only use one of the two blood pressure meds now, and a pain med for my knees as needed.

The weight loss took the pressure off my knees so they don't bother me nearly as much now. I wasn't good about using the CPAP before surgery, and I don't used it now. I haven't had a sleep study to see if it is totally resolved. One of these days I will do that, out of curiosity. I also no longer need reflux medicine. So I went from 6 pills a day to one and an occasion second. I went from womens 22 to misses 10 (2X to small) in clothing. I now walk almost every day with Curves and the rec center gym and Water aerobics as backup (I utilize them more when I lose daylight after work). Luckily for me all the exercise places are on the way home from work, so I have no excuse. I still go to group too, but I would never tell someone there as I was told that they aren't heavy enough for surgery. That is a very private individual choice for each person and each journey is different.

Good luck on your journey.

Edited by PATCHELTON