Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lbndoc:

We have some things in common besides for the band. I had knee issues which directly lead to me wanting to reduce my weight. I used to barrell race ....stopped because I was not longer secure in the saddle...now I'm so heavy that general trail riding is just too much work.

Thanks for sharing

It will be fine - I haven't felt like I was going to jar anything loose, I am just aware that something is there. I actually considered wrapping my belly with a polo wrap to hold everything in place. I didn't do it, but the thought did cross my mind.

I ride western. Believe it or not, a fall is what led to the lap band. I was jogging (very very slow) one of the horses around the pasture. The goober horse didn't pick up his feet and he tripped - WE landed on my knee. This led to knee surgery and an arthritis diagnosis. The knee won't get better unless I lose weight. So here I am.

I'm trying to ride a very green broke 4 year old who trots like a pogo stick. I have to sit the trot because of my knee. Therefore, my abs are having to hold my butt in the saddle. I may be taking more of a beating than those of you who can post.

I have not felt like anything was going to come loose. It's more of an awareness that something is different in there.

One of the best perks for me - I'm a barrel racer - just imagine how much faster the horses will be able to run when I lose the excess weight!

Good luck to you all. I'm glad someone started a horseback riding thread. I haven't seen it brought up before.

I think the reason why my aunt doesn't ask me to go riding with her is because I'm overweight but what's that have to do with anything I love horses and she knows that I wonder what shell do when I get smaller and I mean her horse is a very strong horse and can hold a person like me but I want my own horse hopefully in a year or two I'll have where I don't have to ask her to ride hers anymore, now I should be fine to ride in October or the spring right? And yup I'm feeling better now and I can kind of lay on my stomach (:

It will be fine - I haven't felt like I was going to jar anything loose, I am just aware that something is there. I actually considered wrapping my belly with a polo wrap to hold everything in place. I didn't do it, but the thought did cross my mind.

I ride western. Believe it or not, a fall is what led to the lap band. I was jogging (very very slow) one of the horses around the pasture. The goober horse didn't pick up his feet and he tripped - WE landed on my knee. This led to knee surgery and an arthritis diagnosis. The knee won't get better unless I lose weight. So here I am.

I'm trying to ride a very green broke 4 year old who trots like a pogo stick. I have to sit the trot because of my knee. Therefore, my abs are having to hold my butt in the saddle. I may be taking more of a beating than those of you who can post.

I have not felt like anything was going to come loose. It's more of an awareness that something is different in there.

One of the best perks for me - I'm a barrel racer - just imagine how much faster the horses will be able to run when I lose the excess weight!

Good luck to you all. I'm glad someone started a horseback riding thread. I haven't seen it brought up before.

LNBRDOC - OUCH that sounds painful... my horse did that too she actually went completely down and i sort of rolled off before she did (she took good care not to crush me). Before that I hadn't fallen in 5 years! I sit the trot for fun LOL (dressage!) - I haven't ridden in two weeks and both my horse and I were out of shape! But good point on the posting. I'm here because I lost my baby horse (well he was going to turn 4 but I delivered him and raised him and gained yet ANOTHER 20 lbs in 2 months) and that was that I just couldn't take it anymore. I can work so hard to lose 15 lbs and gain it in a flash!

Erin,

I wouldn't take it personally that your aunt does not ask you to go riding. I must admit, there are very few people that are allowed to get on my horses. I have to know how they ride and feel like they will be safe on my horses and that my horse will be safe in their care. Some of us are very protective of our horses - it's not personal.

I had a friend that wanted to sit in my saddle while it was on the horse. I reluctantly agreed to avoid being rude. She landed on the back with a THUD - my horse was not impressed. I honestly didn't think I was going to be able to get her off fast enough to avoid her being injured.

hmarko, I'm so sorry for your loss. I also lost a horse a couple of years ago, just before the weight gain started. It's like losing a part of us.

Thanks Lbndoc. Ok the port thing is kind of creeping me out... how do we know it doesn't get loose from the tugging? I doubt my doc will clear me to ride cuz they are saying no exercise that even remotely involves abs until 6 weeks - i mean i may get on and walk. Good luck to you too! I'll see how i am feeling i guess. I don't have that prob w/ my boob and that is weird cuz its not like they are small :thumbup: wonder if like some sort of bandage there would make it less uncomfortable. My fear of riding with a band was a fall and having things slip. She said worse case is the port connectors may come apart same thing w/ accidents or any trauma. Not to jinx myself but I don't usually fall :wub:

Hello hmarko,

Congratulations on your surgery date!!! I just wanted to tell you that sometimes I forget my port is there and I was banded on July 28th this year. The only time I feel it now is if I press on it with my hand or someone else does. I wouldn't worry that much about it. It is definitely worth it. If you will let it, it will help you change your life. And the horses can wait a couple of weeks...there really isn't a tugging sensation at all for me...

Good Luck!

You can do it!!!

Shena

Hello hmarko,

Congratulations on your surgery date!!! I just wanted to tell you that sometimes I forget my port is there and I was banded on July 28th this year. The only time I feel it now is if I press on it with my hand or someone else does. I wouldn't worry that much about it. It is definitely worth it. If you will let it, it will help you change your life. And the horses can wait a couple of weeks...there really isn't a tugging sensation at all for me...

Good Luck!

You can do it!!!

Shena

Thank's Shena! That's ok I can wait a few weeks to ride.... my present to myself when I lose weight may be a new horse (my current one can benefit from just hanging out at this point). I retired her when I had the young guy going then he died; so poor mare got unretired - but I only ride her 2 times a week and she is on and off. One problem or another... thanks for the encouragement - I really can't wait!!!

Hello hmarko,

Good Luck!

You can do it!!!

Shena

Thank's Shena! That's ok I can wait a few weeks to ride.... my present to myself when I lose weight may be a new horse (my current one can benefit from just hanging out at this point). I retired her when I had the young guy going then he died; so poor mare got unretired - but I only ride her 2 times a week and she is on and off. One problem or another... thanks for the encouragement - I really can't wait!!!

I am almost 2 week post op & I rode a horse over the weekend. I only walked and did not go fast. The only hard part was getting up on the horse but other than that it was fine. I don't know that I would run or gallop or trot b/c of the jarring but other than it was fine. Good Luck to you!

but my aunt asked her sons stepsister to go riding and she doesn't seem like the horse type I started riding when I was 5 and I haven't went to a lesson since I was 15 and now the prices went up, I miss riding so much, speaking of horses I had a dream a few nights ago that I was bringing my own horse in the stables. My room has a lot of horse pix and a shelf full of horse care books I wish I was lucky that someone knew I wanted a horse and got me one for my birthday, anyways I love to canter, barrel racing and pole bending looks so fun I want to do it, jumping and dressage also looks fun, my most memorable moment was the day after my oldest cousins graduation party my aunt and I went for a 2 hour trail ride miss those days. What's everyones fav horse breed and what do you like to do most? Mine are quarter horses and love being around them and trail riding I'm ready to try some new things too! How's it feel with the band after a year?

but my aunt asked her sons stepsister to go riding and she doesn't seem like the horse type I started riding when I was 5 and I haven't went to a lesson since I was 15 and now the prices went up, I miss riding so much, speaking of horses I had a dream a few nights ago that I was bringing my own horse in the stables. My room has a lot of horse pix and a shelf full of horse care books I wish I was lucky that someone knew I wanted a horse and got me one for my birthday, anyways I love to canter, barrel racing and pole bending looks so fun I want to do it, jumping and dressage also looks fun, my most memorable moment was the day after my oldest cousins graduation party my aunt and I went for a 2 hour trail ride miss those days. What's everyones fav horse breed and what do you like to do most? Mine are quarter horses and love being around them and trail riding I'm ready to try some new things too! How's it feel with the band after a year?

Yeah,

I love that when you're riding with a group of ppl and they are soooo insensitive to riders with some extra weight. I have my own horse, but I don't ride as much as I used to...I like English show. It's my favorite. I still have quite a bit to learn, but the judges seem to be a little insensitive to overweight ppl on horses. That might seem a little cynical, I'm sure not all judges are that way, but the few ruin it for everyone...

I hate people who are like that too, I never went in a show before but I've been to a show jumping show where I live and I didn't see anybody that was overweight. I always rode western but hopefully next year I could get some lessons in on English cause I love English better

I ride dressage and I totally feel the same way - i will not show cuz in dressage you need to show in white pants! noway! Plus I am sure those who don't know me are prejudice but any of my recent trainers in the last 4 years know I am very capable. I was trying to get help w/ my horse (financially last year) but we couldn't even find too many people who would be capable enough riders. Now i am thinking of getting a new one and I am all hung up about going to these strangers at this huge weight and them judging me.

My friend said to me very honestly 'don't take this the wrong way but considering you have some physical limitations that doesn't get in your way and your a very competent rider'. But again those are the people who know me and see me ride regularly. I think I'll have to lose at least 50 lbs before i go and check out horses. To avoid the judgement. Anyway I feel it gets in the way of my WHOLE life not just riding. I am so done w/ this :(

Hey guys - So I had to share with my horsie friends - today (4 weeks post op) I trotted for 15 mins posting - I sat the trot once around the arena. If no pain later then will try more sit trot. Feel ok - didn't feel my port moving around. My trainer let me ride his horse who is also being rehabbed. And my horse is ALSO a patient and out of commission (no work at all) she had an abscess (if you guys remember she was on and off lame) well BAD abscess undermined her hoof so she has now been off for two months. and today was the first time I sat on a horse in two months 23 lbs lighter! I'm back to weight I was between last year to 1.5 years ago. 10 more lbs and I am back to weight from 2 years ago!

Will ride trainer's horse tomorrow - my horse could be out for 2 weeks to 2 more months.

Isn't it a great feeling to get back to riding again? Congrats on being back in the saddle! You may be sore tomorrow, but it will just be muscle soreness, not port soreness (from not riding for a month).

Take your time on that absess - my main mount had one and she was off for about 6 months - but she has horrible feet anyway. I learned my lesson - I won't try to let her go barefoot again!

Enjoy all your successes! You've worked hard for them.

Isn't it a great feeling to get back to riding again? Congrats on being back in the saddle! You may be sore tomorrow, but it will just be muscle soreness, not port soreness (from not riding for a month).

Take your time on that absess - my main mount had one and she was off for about 6 months - but she has horrible feet anyway. I learned my lesson - I won't try to let her go barefoot again!

Enjoy all your successes! You've worked hard for them.

I don't think I had enough time to enjoy it - it did feel good but it was all so rushed! It was like a warmup! I literally jumped on him after my trainer rode him... trotted 10 mins maybe a bit longer and stopped. And honestly I was worried about him cuz he is being rehabbed he was off 4 months - and I think I was more worried about not doing too much w/ him (as I didn't know how long my trainer was on him). Plus he is my trainer's horse and he doesn't let anyone on him now, so I was afraid of breaking him. I was the last one on him before he went lame back in April, my baby died and this horse who I was going to lease went out of commission at the same time. So honestly I think I was just worried.

OMG this abscess has been a total nightmare it all started in mid july - she already got some time off then and then it became a HUGE deal - she was non weight bearing. Vet drained it and she was still hobbling at the walk. Put back shoes (she was fine w/o them from Feb to May) then all the rains messed her up. She has been on bute since Mid August and layed up completely since then (she is in turnout) but vet doesn't want her running. So if she starts running she comes b ack in. Vet told me it could take 2-3 months longer so that would put it at about 4-5 months!

My farrier said it looks like it was traveling around for a long while and it undermined her hoof and now she practically has no sole. I've been thinking of retiring this horse and getting another since my young one died (he was supposed to be my next riding horse)... but I am not convinced my mare is done yet.