Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question...im going on 4 weeks post op. I have no fill, and therefore no real restriction. Thursday I'm going to a mexican restaurant for lunch. I know i can probably do Beans....is rice out? I was trying to think of what i could have with the beans....

A chili rellano - is that out of the question?

Just trying to plan ahead... Any suggestions. This restaurant doesnt have Soup.

It's different for everyone. Have you gotten stuck or uncomfortable with anything you've tried so far? Are you still on mushies or soft foods, or ??

I'm nearly a year out, have pretty decent restriction and as long as I go slow (don't eat too fast) I can still eat anything. I do find that I don't eat as much bread as I used to. Or Pasta or really rice. I do still eat those, just not as much.

I LOVE Mexican food. When we go, I eat Beans, Soup, chili rellano, enchiladas, tamales, quesadilla, whatever I feel like having. Sometimes it's a taco or burrito. Just depends on my mood.

Have fun!

I have little to no restriction and don't have a problem with any food other than really dry hunks of food (chicken, beef, potatoes, etc).

Just take it slow. Chew well. If you even suspect that you're going to have a problem, don't eat another bite. You'll be fine :)

Four weeks post op and I was still limited in what I was allowed (which had nothing to do with what I felt like I COULD eat)

If you don't have any more post op limitations (like are you still on mushies? soft?) then you can probably eat anything. I'd maybe pass on fajitas but a chile relleno, Beans are both fine. The rice is probably ok too but don't overdo (remember unless it's really WELL done it can continue to absorb liquid so you can imagine how that could be problematic) Tostado chips should go down fine, as would beef crispy tacos etc...

in fact a LOT of Mexican food is slider-type food.< /p>

chicken enchiladas may give you a problem if they are kind of dry...

All in all as someone else said, take it slow and you should be fine. BUT make sure you're approved to eat the foods you choose. Don't cheat on your post op diet.

BEWARE!! Remember those foods we are not supposed to be eating. Well I have found out they are the easiest to go down, nachos, Fried taco shells, candy bars. Also these foods are high in fat. They go down easy. Once the contents swell up after eating, sort of like biscuits. You will be so miserable if you overeat! So do eat very slowly and time yourself to 30 minutes( including the basket of chips before dinner arrives). I now have 8.8 cc in a 10 cc band I can eat a small or 1/4 tacos salad due to having the lettuce in there, which is a "slider food". but one bite too many and I have big trouble. So the longer you stay away form these bad items, mexican, pasta/italian the better off you will be to your band. Pasta reeks havoc, it will block every time unless it is the "wheat blend". Good luck, take your time on adding the foods your should be scared of...:smile2:

BEWARE!! Remember those foods we are not supposed to be eating. Well I have found out they are the easiest to go down, nachos, Fried taco shells, candy bars. Also these foods are high in fat. They go down easy. Once the contents swell up after eating, sort of like biscuits. You will be so miserable if you overeat! So do eat very slowly and time yourself to 30 minutes( including the basket of chips before dinner arrives). I now have 8.8 cc in a 10 cc band I can eat a small or 1/4 tacos salad due to having the lettuce in there, which is a "slider food". but one bite too many and I have big trouble. So the longer you stay away form these bad items, mexican, pasta/italian the better off you will be to your band. Pasta reeks havoc, it will block every time unless it is the "wheat blend". Good luck, take your time on adding the foods your should be scared of...:blink:

I am sorry but want to state my opinion on this...firstly, taco shells and candy bars don't swell up after we eat them and fat doesn't make food swell. Pasta and rice, if not well done, can take on more Fluid, so my Nut. said to cook them well done.

And you may (and will!) do what works for you but for many of us, treating food as "bad" and something to be scared of is counter-productive

My surgeon said his goal is for his patients to eat anything in moderation. Life is full of choices and we make them every day.

You apparently are tight enough that you have issues with some foods and you of course should do what works for you. But I want to counter that food isn't bad. Our choices may be less effective or more effective, but a candy bar never stole a dime, kidnapped a child, held up a store at gunpoint. Food is fuel; some types work more efficiently than others.

Food is charged with enough emotion for many of us. A taco chip is just a chip.

Well Stated Restless Monkey!!!

Life is about choices we make. When we chose the Band we chose our health!!!

When I go to a Mexican Restaurant I order one ground beef taco and a side of black Beans (or refried beans but black are my favorite). I then scoop out the middle of the taco and mix with my beans for a satisfying meal. Add a little salsa and sour cream and I'm all set!

When I go to a Mexican Restaurant I order one ground beef taco and a side of black Beans (or refried Beans but black are my favorite). I then scoop out the middle of the taco and mix with my beans for a satisfying meal. Add a little salsa and sour cream and I'm all set!

Ooooo, that sounds good! I'm gonna try that next time. Thanks!

You're welcome, Cheri. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

I am almost six weeks out (no fill yet). I can eat rice. I think it is just up to the individual. I might not be able to after my first fill on the 10th -- we'll see!

I am 4 weeks out today and just got off liquids. I ate a little egg salad 1/2 a cup for lunch and then a thin slice of chicken and cheese for dinner. I would stick with refried Beans and/or ground beef until I was sure what I could tolerate. Just my thoughts. Good luck!!!

I was 2wks post op and I actually got a shrimp and crab enchilada (spelling) and ask the manager to please make it without the tortilla and then to please put it all in the blender and OMG it was so good I had enough food for a whole weeks lunches.. It was really great. I would say anything soft you can eat and remember ask them to blend it and take tiny bites..

BEWARE!! Remember those foods we are not supposed to be eating. Well I have found out they are the easiest to go down, nachos, Fried taco shells, candy bars. Also these foods are high in fat. They go down easy. Once the contents swell up after eating, sort of like biscuits. You will be so miserable if you overeat! So do eat very slowly and time yourself to 30 minutes( including the basket of chips before dinner arrives). I now have 8.8 cc in a 10 cc band I can eat a small or 1/4 tacos salad due to having the lettuce in there, which is a "slider food". but one bite too many and I have big trouble. So the longer you stay away form these bad items, mexican, pasta/italian the better off you will be to your band. Pasta reeks havoc, it will block every time unless it is the "wheat blend". Good luck, take your time on adding the foods your should be scared of...:lol:

bandfun4me,

I learn so much from all the comments, however, please explain why you say, "limit yourself to 30 minutes" :)