Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who's never had a PB?

I keep hearing all the scare-stories about PBs. I've yet to have one (although I've also yet to have my first fill).

Now, I'm ever-the-optimist, and I'm kinda hoping that given the right diet/eating method, I won't actually have to experience one.

Are there bandsters, post fill, who have yet to experience a PB?

im 3 months out, i have 4 cc in the bad and except that... spoiled zucchini that

brought me PB i had not other.. i think if you follow the rules,

not dangerous foods (steaks, pastas, bread, ) small bites, slow eating, good chewing you will not experience it :) you are doing great Andy! keep going the great work!!

i'm proud of you!

Technically, yes, they can generally be avoided. That said, the band has a learning curve, of sorts. Once you have one, you learn what to avoid. Most aren't nearly as bad as the one poor Trish posted about today, luckily.

Just remember to eat slowly, take small bites, chew chew chew and try to avoid foods that tend to expand when eaten. If you think you can handle some of these foods (rice, gnocchi, Pasta, etc), go for it, but in very small quantities until you're sure.

As Maria said, you're doing great! Try not to stress about the stuff that could happen :)

The thing that I did wrong was, once my food got stuck and tried to wait and sit it out hopeing it would go down.. collecting way to much slime.. to where, when i did PB there was so much I could hardly breathe and thats what made it come out my nose. I say just becareful. and I hope you dont have to experience a PB but if you do Im sure it will be nothing like mine!

P.S. Sorry to put out my scare story.. didnt intend to scare you, or anyone else.

I just used the word "scare-story" as an expression, Trish. You didn't scare me at all. It just makes me a little concerned. You've obviously been through quite a lot and I'd prefer to learn from other people's experience, rather than my own painful experience.

I'd prefer to learn from other people's experience, rather than my own painful experience

I agree...reading other peoples scary experiences scares me enough to make me think twice about what or how much I eat. I had one close call (near PB) but luckily it went away after a few minutes. Even though I had more food ready to eat, I put it away. I didn't like the feeling at all!!! I'm early in the process and have a long way to go. I'm a little worried about eating solid foods when the time comes. Reading others experiences really gives me a better perspective about what may happen and what to watch out for.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Hi Pianoman,

I went almost 7 months no PB. In 2 years and 3 months, I have had only 5 or 6 episodes where I barfed and only one in public at the amusement park after eating a turkey leg. It got stuck. I get very restricted when it is hot outside and so now I know to be more careful.

Babs in TX

334/180/170

Bear in mind....my surgeon calls the band "surgical behavorial modification". You kind of need to have a PB to understand where the limits are. I had nary a PB until I got filled. And it took a week after I got filled and I was eating just as slow and easy as I had been all along....and WHAMMO. Out of nowhere I got stuck. And I learned A LOT from that PB.

I think it's admirable to never want to PB, I just don't think it is realistic.

In this life we learn more from our mistakes than anything. Don't invite a PB to your esophagus, but don't fear them either.

Pianoman,

I'm still PBless.

Glad you asked this. I have not had a pb or vomiting. I had my first fill 9-21-05.

I have 9.75 inamed band. If I understand right it will only hold 4cc. I got 2cc at my fill. I can eat anything, (bread, Pasta, rice) haven't tryed steak yet. I only eat about 1/3 of what I would have ate before the band. I don't want to have a pb, but was wondering since I can eat all of this stuff if I should go back and get more of a fill.

Haven't had a PB, but then I haven't had my first fill yet. I do have a strange thing happening however. When I know I ate too much or too fast, it doesn't hurt in my stomach but down by my port. Any ideas?

anefie53,

I feel the same thing. I havent BPd yet (one close call). I havent had my first fill yet either.

But if I eat too fast or too much or don't chew enough, it is my port that hurts. Why is that???

This weekend we did a lot of yard work and I must have lifted something too heavy and my port was sore for 2 days. Wierd.

Hi, I have never had a PB. I HAVE had the pain part...when I eat too fast or don't chew well, especially if it is meat. Then I sit back, try to relax, and wait for the pain to go away. Then, I can eat the rest of my meal. I have never had the slimes or spit-up. Hope this encourages you. Cindy

I've never had a PB. I've never slimed. Nothing. I have had 2 fills. It seems that when I got a grilled chicken sandwich once at a restaurant my chest started to hurt. I immediately quit eating. I think I may be one of those people who can't eat bread....

Carrie

222/202/125