Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

34, single mom, soon to have surgery, need support friends

Hi, Im a 34 year old single mother of one adorable son. I am having surgery August 10th. Im so excited, but extremely scared. I dont have any friends or anyone else I know who has gone through this experience, so I have no one to talk to about it. The only help I get is from reading it on the internet. Would love to find a few friends who are going through the same thing to chat with. :bored:

I am a single 35 year old mom. I have 2 children my son 14 and my daughter 11. I will be having my surgery on the 29th of July and like you I do not have anyone who has gone through this. I do have a wonderful support person, but they do not know much about what it is going to be like. I am very excited about the up coming surgery but also and very scared. If you would like I would love to talk, share stories and concerns. You can email me at traceyjeske@comcast.net

Congratulations to you for having chosen to improve your life. I had surgery last september and I've never looked back, not even for one second. I'm 15 pounds to goal. Well, actually, to my first goal. I'm 5'10 and 3/4 and I started at 256, originally I had set my goal to 155. This morning I weighed 190 and I'm thinking that 155 will be too thin. So I reset my goal to 175 and I'll reassess.

I do believe that I've encountered just about every little learning process there is with the band. :D It is a huge lifestyle change but so totally worth it. Every now and then I do see a person eating a big plate of food, say in a restaurant and for one split second I'll miss my old relationship with food. I'll just want to be able to dig in and enjoy. But then reality slaps me back to the present and I remember how much I don't hate my body, how much I don't cringe when I look in the mirror and how much I don't hide from the camera. Those are all huge gifts I gave to myself when I had this surgery and committed myself to making it a successful permanent solution to my obesity problems.

For a start, here are four eating rules that you should follow religiously once you get put back on solid foods. If you follow these you will avoid some of the problems with which I have struggled.

1. take tiny bites. No bite should be bigger than the size of a pencil eraser. That, of course, means the eraser that's attached to the pencil not one of those great big ones you can buy separately. :thumbup:

2. Chew chew chew. Each bite should be chewed to the consistency of applesauce before swallowing.

3. Eat very slowly, several moments between bites. One extra bite can be the difference between full and having overeaten which is very uncomfortable. It takes a few seconds for the food to get there, and if you're taking fast bites one after another, it will be too late by the time you realize it.

4. Never combine liquids and solids in the pouch. You can drink first and then eat just a few minutes later. But after eating you need to wait at least 30 minutes before eating. 60 minutes is better. Fluids tend to force food through the pouch and can cause food to get stuck in the stoma. This is a very uncomfortable situation and usually results in vomiting which can be bad for the band.

Hope this helps your beginning. I'd be glad to answer any other questions you may have. My journey has been a successful one and I would like to help others have the same wonderful successful experience.

Congratulations, again, on the wonderful gift you're giving yourself.

xoxo

w :)

Well I'm going to jump on some of these boards seeing as how I hardly ever post but read. I am 37 about to be 38 and just moved to New York. A little about myself is I once weighed 497 pds and lost down to 322 then climbed my way back up to 432 which is where I was at when I got banded last Sept 4th. I now weigh once again 332 lol. I am excited to keep moving forward this time and not allowing anything or anyone to get in my way. I have set realistic goals and do my very best to achieve them. Coming from 497 is a big deal I almost felt like u got to be kidding me what person can do this. Then it set in well I can and will. I wish everyone luck in this and it is a journey that is a lifelong one. If anyone would like to penpal as they say and be friends I gladly welcome all.

Well I'm going to jump on some of these boards seeing as how I hardly ever post but read. I am 37 about to be 38 and just moved to New York. A little about myself is I once weighed 497 pds and lost down to 322 then climbed my way back up to 432 which is where I was at when I got banded last Sept 4th. I now weigh once again 332 lol. I am exicted to keep moving forward this time and not allowing anything or anyone to get in my way. I have set realistic goals and do my very best to achieve them. Coming from 497 is a big deal I allmost felt like u got to be kidding me what person can do this. Then it set in well I can and will. I wish everyone luck in this and it is a journey that is a lifelong one. If anyone would like to penpal as they say and be friends I gladly welcome all.

Wow Paula kudos to you and your decision!!!! You will reach your goal weight one day soon. Yea weight loss is definitely a lifelong journey. I know I have been battling it ever since I was a kid. I don't know what it's like to be a normal size and i'm very much looking forward to that happening one day soon!!!

Hi Karlita! Welcome to LBT and changing the rest of your life!!!! Having the LB done was the best decision i've ever made. I'm down over 60 lbs and I feel great. I am so much happier and for once in my life a happy person. If you have any questions at all about your journey or what to expect go ahead and private message me i'm here to help!!!

Hi, I am a 32 yr old Mother of 2 kids a 13 yr old and a 2 yr old. I was a single Mother for the First 8 years of My sons life. So I am familiar with that. I was banded on November 18, 2008 I have lost 52 lbs since then. I would be happy to answer any questions that any of you have regarding this surgery. I have had great support around me and would love to be able to offer that same support to others. You can add me as a Friend on here and we can chat privately if you would like you can alo e-mail me at mbowet@yahoo.com.

I wish you luck on your Journey. It is definetly a Journey I would do over again if I had to.

Hi, I'm here if you want to talk, please don't hesitate to ask anything. I know what you are experiencing but it will be worth it. I don't regret it at all and I do it in a heart beat.

Hi, Im a 34 year old single mother of one adorable son. I am having surgery August 10th. Im so excited, but extremely scared. I dont have any friends or anyone else I know who has gone through this experience, so I have no one to talk to about it. The only help I get is from reading it on the internet. Would love to find a few friends who are going through the same thing to chat with. :juggle:

hi Karlita ! i'm also a single mommy to a little boy and i was scared out of my mind before being banded last week. if you need any kind of support or advice , please ask :)

Thank you everyone, so It has now been 9 days since my surgery. I have already lost 20lbs. Its alot at first. I have been following the diet plan to a T.

I do have a question. Realistically, how important is it to stick with the plan about when to add certain foods?

I would love to stay in contact with anyone. The support group with my local office meets on days when I work so I cant go to all of the meetings...

my email is my24rcks@aol.com

Karla

That 20 lbs is awesome! Congrats! Everything healing good for you?

So glad everything went well. 20 lbs is great! it's very important to follow your Dr's orders after surg and eat only what youre supposed to to avoid any complications . i'm almost 4 wks out and am starting my soft foods and enjoying every minute after being on liquids/mushies for so long. good luck.

Thank you everyone, so It has now been 9 days since my surgery. I have already lost 20lbs. Its alot at first. I have been following the diet plan to a T.

I do have a question. Realistically, how important is it to stick with the plan about when to add certain foods?

I would love to stay in contact with anyone. The support group with my local office meets on days when I work so I cant go to all of the meetings...

my email is my24rcks@aol.com

Karla

I would have to agree it is very important, I am 7 weeks into my journey, and I still have not had bread or red meat, which I am allowed to have starting the 8th week. I still to this day pretty much stick to the mushie type foods. I do have other things every once in awhile, but I get a little nervous.

Hi, I'm 33 and single with no kids. I was banded Wednesday (6/16). I'm experiencing the gas pains and such so far. I'm still on Protein shakes and liquids but it's not bad at all. I'll be happy to converse with you.

:smile2: