Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well I am finally biting the bullet and having my fill taken out for a few weeks. I have done nothing but PB and Burb for the better part of a week. I called my doc and he wants to take the fill out and let things rest for awhile. I have mixed feeling about it as I thought I was doing really good losing, even though slow and don't want to stop. But I have been unable to eat anything unless it is mush for about 2 weeks and it stinks making different meals then my family. We have always modified things a bit, but this has been what they eat I can't absolutley not tolerate. I know it is only for a few weeks, but I am afraid to gain the weight back now!

Sorry you are going through this. But in the long run its better to get everything back in order and healed so you can have the long term benefits of the band. Good luck getting through this and getting back on the weight loss trail. Celeste

Be sure you take the time to let everything heal and rest. The good news is that, even if you gain back a pound or two, the band will still be there waiting for your body to be ready to continue.

:]

As hard as it is to get an unfill, you are doing the right thing, and being a responsible bandster.the band was not designed to tolerate Mushy foods ONLY, this is why your weight loss is slow most likely. I was unfilled for 2 months and I acutally lost 4 lbs so it can be done. You have a lifetime to lose this weight with your band so it is best to do the right thing so your band can last a lifetime. You can do it!

Well it is done-and already the difference is unbelievable. After burping everything for the past week, I can actually drink Water. He only could find .5 cc, when he put in 1cc in Feb, but just that has helped. I am on liquids for the rest of today then can go back and try food again. I am so tired of mush! He told me to give it a few weeks then both the DH and I are going to have an adjustment. But his time I insisted on FLoro after the time I went through yesterday just finding the port. My GOd am I bruised! Good thing I'm not a belly dancer! :) Thanks for the support!

Larae, I've been through it too. My problem is sudden closing up so I can barely tolerate liquids. I had a 3 week wonderful fill & boom, total restriction. I've been unfilled 2X, once totally. Now Dr. Martinez has prescribed Reglan, he said he noticed that the liquid rushes down too fast when he's done fluoro, so I'm taking it nice & slow, had .3cc's added today, now at 1.3. This pretty much sucks, but I'm taking it REAL slow.

And yes, I did gain a little weight. But that was my fault, I figured no restriction, poor me, and let's eat whatever!

I hope it works out for you, and for me too!

OMG Karen, I didn't realize you were down that far on your fill. I'm up to a full 2. cc now, (on a 4cc band) and doing fairly well with it. Still kinda sensitive to the restriction. I truly think the hot weather has a big bearing on my band and it's restriction.

Like Michelle said, you're much better off getting an unfill, I suffered for a full month being over restricted and that was the worse time of my banded life.

Listen to your band, as Martha would say, it's a good thing!

More of an update since Sept. I still have been suffering with heartburn. I finally got into my surgeon (not sure why it took so long this time) Anyway he did take a look under fluro this time and he thinks I may have a prolapse stomach. He put me on Prevacid solutabs and wants to see me again in 2 weeks. After the Holidays. It is looking like another trip into the OR to fix this. I have had the band for almost a year now, but trouble with it for the past 5-6 months. I am half tempted to tell him while he is in there to just do by-pass (which I said I would never do) Well never say never-I guess I am a little fustrated and needed to vent. I can't afford another suregery, time off of work. But I hate having heartburn too!

Wow Larae, are you completely unfilled now? And still having heartburn? Yes...I see you are empty. Maybe with an empty band and the Prevacid you will see a huge improvement. I'm not sure about a prolapsed band...it's a classic slip, yes? It's possible to unslip, stay that way for a good bit till things settle down, then fill again later. Hang in there. Thanks for the update. And do your research well before any surgery to make sure you want to convert to bypass, and more importantly, which one is best for you. It's a whole other world from banding. Just make sure. Whatever you need to do , we support you!!!

I don't quite understand the prolapse either. Been doing some research on the net? He made it sound like a portion of my stomach has slipped up into the band? I told him that is how it has looked at the last couple of upper GI they have done on me at our local hos. and He said he doesnt get to actually see those, just a report and maybe the radiologist doesn't have enough knowledge on the band to know what the prolapse looks like. So he apologized for not looking at it under fluro sooner. I love my band-when it works-It's the heartburn I could live without. My husband has been a slow loser with his band and hopefully this fill will get him caught up. Time will tell all for both of us.

Larae, I THINK prolapse simply indicates what kind of slip you have...where the bottom part of the stomach (front or back?) has lapsed over the top of the band and your pouch is now "oversized" and the wrong shape for working properly...anyhow, it's a slipped band. Not good, but maybe not the end of the world. Here's hoping your unfill and meds keep your band healthy and no more surgery is in your future.

Anyone who knows the real scoop please post in case I'm wrong.