Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DId anyone cheat while they were in the mushy /soft food stage?

I am seriously thinking about steak. I want some steak. I also want to eat some rice. What did you do? Did you give in? Will it hurt my band? I am getting so tired of the same ole food choices. I am a picky eater for a fat person and some of this stuff I get tired of really fast. I mean MOnday I will be 4 weeks post op. My nutritionist has me going to solids on week 6. I am beginning to think that it is not for the band but to optimize the weight loss or jumpstart it. I am so sick of yogurt and sf Jello and I don't like mashed potatos I want some mac n cheese. I really got this band so that it would help me with Portion Control I don't want to have to diet with it. Certain foods are restricted everything has to be low fat and sugar free. This is the pits!

Not I. I did cheat in the pre op stage a time or two, but post op, I was too afraid that I'd mess up the pouch, or stitches, or something lol.

What stage of mushies are you on? Can you have like, canned spaghetti mashed up or anything? Just for some variety (maybe even with a cheesy sauce? LOL)

It'll be over soon - you can do this...

I broke down and ate some chicken tenders I smushed them to death and chewed them to mush. I had no problem eating them. They went down fine. As long as everything is mushy when it goes down it is alright isn't it? I mean chew to goo is what i did. Well that has been my only saving grace the tenders. I can have chicken in the can to make chicken salad so I figured chicken is chicken I just mashed it up. I did not get sick or anything.

Diva-Li-Cious relaax :rolleyes:

i understand that being so long in some types of food is not that easy to decline them

that easy.. it's not easy...

i wouldn't try a steak .. no way.. i'm such a ..chicken lol... i would not!

but why don't ya try some Protein Shakes? they give ya a feel of fullness and energy for hours! you would want 2 steaks to feel that energy!

try soft eggs, tuna with 1 spoon light mayo, add slowly to your diet many many vegetables, legumes, etc.

before the surgery i did not know they were excist so many foods in life!

try to explore them one by one :D

Good Luck!!

the thing that you worry means that you care about your diet and you will accomplish

your goals!!

Its not a matter of the food going down fine, it is a matter of how hard you tummy has to work to digest those solids foods so early on post op, if you eat solids too soon before your doctor allows it, you are taking the risk of your band slipping, there is alot of tumbling , churning and rumling that goes on during digestion of solids and if you band has not set into place( anchor in) like it needs to then your band can slip,( this is why the post op diet) do not be foolish and risk this. Stick to your Dr.s post op instructions. I have a friend who did just what you did and her band slipped, she had to eat chicken, she thought she mushed it enough. If chiken was a mushy food, it would not be a solid. If you got to eat chicken again stick it in a blender with some broth and blend it then drink it. Dont means to sound so gruff but you need to be made aware of the dangers of eating solids before you are suppossed to

My doctor likes us to be on liquids for TWO weeks post-op, which by reading the boards seems conservative. Well, last night I was starving and decided to have about 2 oz. of mashed potatoes thinned with milk and margarine. It was heaven. I did feel a little fuller than usual last night and I noticed the gurgling thing with my Water, but otherwise I was OK.

However, I feel like it satisfied me for a while. I think I can go a few more days on liquids now!

Hey Diva,

I have been on Mushy food for two weeks now. I know how you feel.. But I got the go ahead to introduce solids this week. I was told anything you could mush with a fork was ok in mushy stage. I used my crock pot and made chicken that was falling off the bone tender. I was allowed to eat that on the mushy stage. I also made ground chicken meat balls. Yummy. Get creative you will be surprised at what you can really eat on this stage.

Amy

I wouldn't! When you are ready for the "bad" foods think to yourself why you had surgery and how you got to that point. Steak and rice are bad choices all together. You should stay away from red meat and rice. I felt the same you as you do, but you have to realize that this is a life change and it is time to make better choices!

Don't do it....you just risked your life to save your life - don't let any unneccessary complications cause you future grief. Give your body the right time to heal. If you need something talk to your nutritionist - steak is not the answer right now.

You need to be REAL CARFUL of FATS. And there are fats in steak! I would stick with what your suposed to or you may end up with a gallblatter attack! Take it from someone who has been there!

I was on a liquid diet for 3 weeks, then I had a slice of pizza the fat put me in the hospital and almost KILLED ME. Steak doesn't have the fat that pizza does but I'd be really really careful!

Don't cheat!!!!! Your Dr & nutritionist gave you those instructions for a reason. Don't blow it now when serious complications could arise since you're not fully healed. Come on now, you went through surgery to assist you in your weight loss, don't ruin it and put your body at risk even more! I know how hard it is, we all do, but the reason you're craving steak is because your lacking Protein and you are feeling like you need to chew. Drink some Protein Shakes or eat some yogurt, or whatever you're allowed to right now that's high in protein. If you're allowed canned chicken (I was not) then eat that. But don't go for steak, it's not worth the complications it could cause & don't think just cuz you can chew something until it's mushy that it's a "mushy". We all have to chew until something is mushy - that's a requirement of being banded. When you eat stuff you're not supposed to it makes your stomach have to work and move - meaning move those stitches...you don't want that to happen and your tummy needs to recover, not be working overtime trying to digest steak. Okay? Okay? It's not worth it!!! :)

Oh to be on mushies....I can't wait. I am at day 11 of a 23 day full liquid post op diet and I have had it up to here with drinking my meals!!!! I wont cheat though - this means to much to me. My doctors last words on my discharge from the hospital were "Dont cheat on the diet".

If you are craving steak get some beef broth - its like drinking steak juice. The salty taste was sooooo good after all of the sweet I have been eating. Swansons makes a 98% fat free beef broth that is wonderful!!

Good luck,

Well I havent been banded so tell me to rack off, but surely with mushies you can eat almost anything, as long as you make it "mushy". When I was at an information evening on the band one lady who'd had it done got up and spoke and she'd blended an entire roast pork dinner, frozen it in portions. It's like feeding a baby surely, just blend it up lump free adding extra stock (broth) to liquidise it.

OK so you may not get the experience of chewing a steak but there's really no necessity to be starving and lacking variety of food, like a baby you can eat a good meat and 3 veg dinner, but just not in solid form.

But of course, like a baby, start slowly adding one food at a time.

If I'm disillusioned, dont tell me now, lol. I'll figure it out for myself soon enough.

I wouldn't try steak it is to hard to digest and if it gets stuck or blocks the opening you are in trouble your stomach needs time to heal and beef is just to hard to digest. you might stretch the pouch or vomit from the beef and slip your band I would follow your doctors advice they know what they are doing it for your own good