Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I wish I had the ability to correct other peoples spelling on here

I am far from perfect--I think I need an apostrophe in my thread title but I'm not going to go back & do it. Some spelling/grammar/usage is so bad that I simply cannot understand the post.

I'm not talking there,they're, their issues, I have no idea what you are trying to say issues.

Not a rant, just an observation

I fully expect this thread to fall and go away very quickly.

I am far from perfect--I think I need an apostrophe in my thread title but I'm not going to go back & do it. Some spelling/grammar/usage is so bad that I simply cannot understand the post.

I'm not talking there,they're, their issues, I have no idea what you are trying to say issues.

Not a rant, just an observation

I get typos, I'm the queen of typos. But I'm seeing posts where people cannot spell 3 and 4 letter words. They aren't typos, they spell the same words repeatedly throughout their posts.

There is a person that her spelling and grammar are so bad I have no idea what she is trying to convey and she's a college student. How the heck did she get out of high school?

Nah...we (I) love to bash people.

I dropped out of high school because I was a big 'ole dummy, but my friend graduated and went on to college, and is now a TEACHER - who spells college as COLLAGE. There are several other incorrect spellings and what-not, but that one kills me.

I get emails from a friend of mine and they're always hard to read...I don't even get it sometimes and will type back, "What language is this?"

Granted, she has a t-shirt that says: BAD SPELLERS OF THE WORLD UNTIE! I love it that she can have a little fun.

Punctuation goes a long way, and not typing in "txt" would be nice, too.

i'm just lazy as i write on a msg board.

spelling errors don't bother me so much as those WHO INSIST IN WRITING IN ALL CAPS OR DoEs ThIS cRaP....

i just move along.

But, I did understand everything you just said. That's a plus.

Spelling errors bother me in the professional world...a little bit on msg boards, but A LOT at work.

I'm also a little sexist/jobist(?) I work at an oil tool company, so some of these guys left high school 20-some years ago and have so much experience, but no schooling. They're smarter than I am, but can't spell worth a damn.

That's no big deal. But I get grumpy at the Admins who types their emails and don't know how to properly use their/they're, or rely on spell check to do their thinking for them.

On these boards I'm all for being lazy, since I'm usually shooting something off really quick.

I'm NoT EveN sUre How PeOple tYpe liKe ths. whAt aRe theiR fingers dOing?

I love this post!

I am a medical transcriptionist. When I'm not working, I like to "trash" type. I know that sounds bad.

I have a pet peeve about you're and your. My boss, a director, gets that wrong all the time and I like to be a priss about it and secretly gloat.

My sister-in-law is an college professor and her spelling and writing are terrible.

Being 55+ I find myself making more errors these days, but I love grammar and words!

Used to love English and was always the teacher's pet.

What can I say!

Maryrose,

I was a transcriptionist many years ago and had a shorthand type program that I loved! I still type the shorthand and expect the full word to pop up sometimes! I never downloaded spell check here so God knows what my posts look like! Nancy.:)

I am guilty of bad spelling and miss-using a word. The older I get the worse I get. I used to be an A student in English. Can't tell it now. I am having an especially hard time with my "ie" or"EI" I am getting them mixed up all the time and have to go back and correct it. So I am sorry folks!:huh2: But I do get frustrated with people who always post feels instead of fills." I got a feel yesterday and can't eat". OK so how dirty does that sound! LOL:blink::)

I've always thought of msg boards as 'casual.' If I'm writing a college essay, I write differently. My lap-top recently went ka-put. I have the hubs, right now. Which he doesn't have spell check and the 'C' key likes to stick. I have to hit it hard. If I forget, "check" may end up being "hek".

Plus, there are people on this msg board whom do not speak English as a first language. Then there's British English, which many words are spelled differently. In America, we spell Color that way. Where as, across the pond, it's spelled Colour.

When I read a post of mine and see something blatantly wrong, I'll edit it. Otherwise, I just let it go. After all, I'm not perfect, nor am I in a professional arena.

As an elementary teacher, I often have the urge to correct spelling. I do, however, realize that being able to spell isn't a sign of intelligence. Just yesterday I received an email from my principal with a typo in it. It happens. Also, some people just don't spell well at all. My husband is dyslexic and can't spell, but he is a very intelligent person. If he tried to post on here, it would probably make us break out into hives.:) I can't count the number of calls I get from him asking me how to spell words.

How about this example?

Can someone just a good pre op high Protein drink to fet other than slimfast?

Ok, I get why that grates the spelling/grammar nerves :)

I know how to spell but I'm amazed at how many typos I can produce and not notice.

My favourite buddy is the google toolbar with the spellcheck in it. Nothing goes out without checking.

I know I use a lot of colloquialisms that confuse people here, the Australian version of English and the American are quite different, and I also use the ur not or form of spelling in words like colour, neighbour, etc.

But there's a sub-language that astounds me, the "woa, sista, you don no what ur sayin" kind of sentences that just blow me away - how on earth do people get by in the world with that sort of level of literacy? Its utterly amazing.

But I think literacy standards are slipping markedly worldwide. My own children, stickler though I am for the queen's English, cannot spell well, do not read, but instead get their exposure to the language through different mediums than I did as a child - video games, playstation magazines etc. I'm a teacher and I cant fight the cultural change.

I love this post.

I know I'm not always clear, but I love to write and I do know the difference between there/their/they're. I'm amazed at how many people don't use them correctly. Two, to, and too is another one that bugs me. I truly do understand there are very good reasons (disabilities & different cultures) for incorrect grammar and spelling, but when it's just plain laziness, I do have a problem with that. And how would you know really? Do you ask the person if they talk like that or if they know how to spell?

Okay, I feel better too. I really enjoy a well written post.

ee