Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 07/07...needing to burp

Hi all,

Since getting out of surgery on 07/07, I have noticed a pressure feeling at my diaphragm and the feeling of needing to burp really, really badly, but I can't get anything to come up.

Is this due to swelling because of band placement and will it eventually go away? I have been trying to sip, sip, sip, but the pressure is really bothersome. Other than that no gas pains, no shoulder pains. Feeling okay other than needing to burp. I have also been taking the gas X strips, and have been moving gas the other way.

Thank you so much,

Paulette

I had my surgery over a year ago and still am unable to really burp. I can force air up but can not manage a good old fashioned natural belch. But I was told that my inability to burp was due to hiatal hernia repair which was done at the same time so maybe you'll get it back.

I was banded on 7/7 too and I can burp BUT it hurts a little so.....don't be jealous :thumbup:

I don't know about Paulette, but I am jealous...what I wouldn't give for just one good burp, LOL.

I was banded on the 7th too and had a hiatal hernia repair too. I'm having the same thing I guess. I feel the air about to seep up and if I catch it right on time a VERY small burp will come. If I don't catch it, it seems to swell up under where I reckon the band is and cause some discomfort. I hope this goes away.

Hey Jodi, I just realized you're just down the road from me. :thumbup:

I'm also having this weird link/sensation or pain going from the band up my esophogas to my forehead and sinus after I have been lying down and then get up. If I take a breath through my nose while getting up I will get this pain. Once I breath out it stops. VERY strange. Anyone had this too?

Hi Emmylou, yeah we're neighbors! Had my surgery done in Reston. Won't go anywhere but Reston Hospital.

For about a week or so post-op I had severe pain when I needed to burp. I was told that the pain comes from the area where the esophagus passes through the diaphragm (the site of the hernia repair). Anyway, the pain does eventually go away.

I've had the forehead pain (is it sort of like a brain freeze?). I get it if I eat too much or too fast though.

I remember a lot of strange pains and sensations for about a month post-op. Eventually it all pretty much gets back to normal though.

Let us know in a couple of days. I had so much going on the week around Surgery that I don't remember, but since going to solid food, I've had no trouble (forgive the mans speak) "ripping a good one. In fact, if I'm eating too fast, that is how I tell if I'm stuck, it I can't burp, I'm stuck and need to sit back a while.

Hi Paulette:

I was banded yesterday 7/8 and had a few belches this morning. I think moving around helped it. I've been walking from the kitchen to living room, etc. Hope this helps! :thumbup:

I can burp with no problem but to get one up right after surgery I would walk really hard--meaning, take heavy steps

sounds silly but it worked for me

I went ahead and called the surgeons office to inquire. I was told that these pains and sensations my be related to the hernia repair and tender nerves where the sutures are. I was concerned for my pouch. They didn't think I should be concerned but said that I could perhaps go more slowly with drinking and take Gas-X to see if it helps.

I'm glad to know these things will hopefully ease as I heal!

I had surgery on the 6th and i was having really bad chest pains and couldn't burp, i just started walking around and that really helps!

Hi all,

Since getting out of surgery on 07/07, I have noticed a pressure feeling at my diaphragm and the feeling of needing to burp really, really badly, but I can't get anything to come up.

Is this due to swelling because of band placement and will it eventually go away? I have been trying to sip, sip, sip, but the pressure is really bothersome. Other than that no gas pains, no shoulder pains. Feeling okay other than needing to burp. I have also been taking the gas X strips, and have been moving gas the other way.

Thank you so much,

Paulette

I had the same problem right after surgery. I had mine on a Wednesday and it was the following Saturday before I could get a really satisfying burp! I think as the swelling went down, it became easier for the air to go up (as opposed to down)!

I see you are taking the gas x strips. Keep that up -- it really seemed to help me.

Hi,

I was banded 7/3/09 and it took a couple of days for me to be able to burp well. Now, it seems like I burp all the time, much more than I did pre-surgery. I do find though that if I need to burp but have trouble doing it that if I stand up it will usually happen. I'm trying to be really careful about not taking in too much air when I sip, but I guess I still do. I'm on my last day of Clear Liquids, I get to start drinkable yogurts tomorrow and full liquids on Sunday, so hopefully that won't change my ability to burp. I would check with the doc too, maybe he/she can give you some hints. Good Luck!

Tish :thumbup:

I was also banded on 07/07 and I am having some bad chest pains when I breath deep or maybe sip a little too much at a time. I am afraid this pressure in my chest will never go away. I know it has only been 3 days, and it is not all the time, it seems to come and go, but it does scare me a bit. Just checking to see if other people felt this pressure in their chest and any suggestions. I have been walking a lot. Three times around the block already today, but it is still happening a couple times an hour...help!!

I was banded on 7/7 too and I can burp BUT it hurts a little so.....don't be jealous :drool:

Yes, I am very jealous! :ohmy:I am completely miserable that I cannot get any air out of my stomach! The only way I can get any relief and it's temporary is to lie on my left side, not completely lying down. But, wow! I really hope this goes away!

I wouldn't wish this feeling on my worst enemy. :thumbup: