Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't care: A Michael Jackson Rant

So just because he hasn't been caught doesn't mean he hasn't done it again! You have the power to stop him from hurting another child and CHOOSE not to? How can you be against abortin because it is hurting a baby, but not protect children from being abused (sexually/physically)?

Are there not laws requiring you to report any suspected abuse of a child?

That's what I aways thought!

Since the family outrage over his attempt with my son, he hasn't been caught trying it with anyone else.

Those are the key words, "he hasn't been caught trying it with anyone else." Do you hear what you are saying? Just because he hasn't been caught doesn't mean he stopped doing it. It could very well just mean that he has gotten better at intimidating those he is doing it to and scaring them enough to where they won't tell anyone.

Exactly!!!!

Wow! Do you not get it? He didn't DO anything to my son. He attempted to. He might have if my son stayed in the car and was intimidated. How do you arrest someone for something they 'MIGHT' do? In your cases, there was a clear indication of abuse. Crap actually happened. In this case, nothing happened. You can't get arrested for doing 'nothing' to a child. But because we know that he told my son that he wanted to masterbate with him, that's a clear indication that he is not to be trusted. Thus why 6 years ago when he 'attempted' to try something with him we didn't report it.

He was soliciting a minor...he was removing his pants...yes you CAN have someone arrested for doing that. I do understand you and what you are saying.

Are there not laws requiring you to report any suspected abuse of a child?

Only if you have certain jobs that put you in the "Designated Reporter" category. These would be things like social worker, teacher, medical professional. It also depends on what state you live in. Different states have different job lists and not every state has designated reporter laws.

As for PG, maybe she should have reported him at the time, but I don't think the police are going to be much interested in a report of something that happened 6 years ago where no one was hurt. We make our decisions based on what we know at the time and then deal with it the best we can. It's always difficult when it's family too. There are conflicting interests.

Who says he wasn't hurt? Emotional scars last longer than physical ones sometimes! As parents it is our responsibility to protect or children...it should have been reported then...not doing so was irresponsible. Just because he hasn't been caught again doesn't mean he's not harming someone elses kid at this very moment. It's sad that you'll run as fast as you can to the church to protect them, but not to the police to protect others. There shouldn't be a conflict if the family hurt your child!

Although I don't put myself in the same arena as MJ at all, when my daughter was in middle school and high school, it wasn't uncommon for her and her friends to all pile into my bed to watch movies and fall asleep. I had other peoples kids in my bed almost every weekend, but I sure never thought about molesting any of them. That's JUST SICK!

Joan

My husband is a christian scout leader and has taught training for men in handling young boys. One thing he teaches is that they need to always be looking out for their own protection from accusations. If they are camping, they are not to sleep in the same tent as the boys. If there is only one boy going, they must cancel. Leaders sleep together if they choose. Never be alone in a room with a boy. Have 2 or more boys with you, or another leader. These kinds of things. Even though they don't have any intentions of hurting boys in any way, it is best to take precautions against anyone 'saying' you were alone with one. I, too, have had teen girls over for movies and popcorn and have slept on the livingroom floor with them. Nothing wrong with that. (until someone accuses you of something you didn't do, then when you defend yourself and have to say you were on the same floor with them all night, it becomes a battle of her word against yours.)

Well Patty,

Thank you so much for pointing out that your husband is such a great Christian teacher. My brother is a minister, but that has nothing to do with me or my daughter and her friends. I don't appreciate you accusing me of doing something wrong 20 years ago. I didn't have anything to worry about, because I didn't do anything wrong. Would I do it again? You bet I would. Those were some of the best times we had while she was growing up, and I don't regret it one little bit.

Joan

Wow! Do you not get it? He didn't DO anything to my son. He attempted to. He might have if my son stayed in the car and was intimidated. How do you arrest someone for something they 'MIGHT' do? In your cases, there was a clear indication of abuse. Crap actually happened. In this case, nothing happened. You can't get arrested for doing 'nothing' to a child. But because we know that he told my son that he wanted to masterbate with him, that's a clear indication that he is not to be trusted. Thus why 6 years ago when he 'attempted' to try something with him we didn't report it.

Wow Patty Do you not get it. At the very least it is indecent exposure, add to that a minor and it is solicitation! he tried it before your son, with both of your sons, and God knows how many more since then!

I think child molesters should be castrated! My sister and I was molested by my oldest brother. He did go to reform school for molesting my sister. He tried to molest my other brother but he beat the holy crap out of him. When he molested me I was 7. He tied me to the bed, he started to mess with me.:) Some one came home and he untied me and threatened me. when I told my mother she said it was my fault. She didn't want him going back to jail is what it boiled down to or so I thought. But he had threatened to beat her up which he had done before. I blocked it from my mind for yrs. I was 16 and dating a guy who said he new how to hypnotize people. I didn't believe him. We turned on a tape recorder for proof or disproof. Anyway while I was hypnotized it all came out. It took many years to forgive him.I didn't forgive him until I became a christian. I didn't trust him with my children. I know he molested my niece.:) He got saved about a week before he died and called my sister and me to say he was sorry for all that he done to us. Then he called my brother and daddy. Once a molester always a molester. You should have reported him. As a christian you are supposed to help other people. Well I think you helped your nephew molest other kids instead of saving other kids from your nephew.:o I would check into what I could do at this time. It may have been 6 yrs. ago, but I would still see if anything can be done.

Although I don't put myself in the same arena as MJ at all, when my daughter was in middle school and high school, it wasn't uncommon for her and her friends to all pile into my bed to watch movies and fall asleep. I had other peoples kids in my bed almost every weekend, but I sure never thought about molesting any of them. That's JUST SICK!

Joan

My husband is a christian scout leader and has taught training for men in handling young boys. One thing he teaches is that they need to always be looking out for their own protection from accusations. If they are camping, they are not to sleep in the same tent as the boys. If there is only one boy going, they must cancel. Leaders sleep together if they choose. Never be alone in a room with a boy. Have 2 or more boys with you, or another leader. These kinds of things. Even though they don't have any intentions of hurting boys in any way, it is best to take precautions against anyone 'saying' you were alone with one. I, too, have had teen girls over for movies and popcorn and have slept on the livingroom floor with them. Nothing wrong with that. (until someone accuses you of something you didn't do, then when you defend yourself and have to say you were on the same floor with them all night, it becomes a battle of her word against yours.)

Well Patty,

Thank you so much for pointing out that your husband is such a great Christian teacher. My brother is a minister, but that has nothing to do with me or my daughter and her friends. I don't appreciate you accusing me of doing something wrong 20 years ago. I didn't have anything to worry about, because I didn't do anything wrong. Would I do it again? You bet I would. Those were some of the best times we had while she was growing up, and I don't regret it one little bit.

Joan

[/Quote]

If you felt that I was trying to point out a wrong doing of yours, you have mistaken me. That was not my intent. As I had stated myself, I did the same thing with my kids and their friends. I was only stating some pointers that everyone should try to remember. There IS opportunity for accusations in every situation, whether innocent as the situation was or not. So, again, I wasn't pointing out anything you did that I felt was wrong.

Only if you have certain jobs that put you in the "Designated Reporter" category. These would be things like social worker, teacher, medical professional. It also depends on what state you live in. Different states have different job lists and not every state has designated reporter laws.

As for PG, maybe she should have reported him at the time, but I don't think the police are going to be much interested in a report of something that happened 6 years ago where no one was hurt. We make our decisions based on what we know at the time and then deal with it the best we can. It's always difficult when it's family too. There are conflicting interests.

Well said!!!

I was molested when I was 10 by an uncle. I never told anyone at the time. When I was 14, I told my boyfriend about it. I found out later that my uncle also molested my sister and many other family members. He is still alive, but barely. He is a worthless drunk. I don't feel sorry for him, and I will be relieved when he dies. I never told anyone mostly because I knew it would kill my Dad and I was afraid of what he might do. Funny thing is, my uncle now lives with my Dad. I would love for everyone to know what he did to me and many others, but my Dad is 72 with heart problems, so there's no way I would tell anyone right now.

I have 2 half sisters and 2 half brothers. Their step father molested them and countless others. He tried to molest me when I was 12. He asked if he could kiss me, and I said no. That was the end of it with me, but I never spent the night there again because I knew it would happen sooner or later if I didn't stay away. Not too long ago, one of the girls he molested (now grown) told on him for molesting her. My sisters told their mom that he had also molested them. Their mom left him for awhile, but she went back to him a few months later. My brothers and sisters act like it is no big deal. They have even left their children alone with him several hundred times. I'm sure he has molested them countless times as well. Now my oldest sister is adding on to her house so he can move in with her. When I heard about that, all I could say was WTF??? She even has small grandchildren. I really don't understand how you could leave children around a man who molested you and countless others. There was another girl that reported him to the police awhile back, but they never even did anything to him.

And patty, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but your son and nephew were probably molested by that man you think needs to be forgiven. The kids are probably just too afraid to tell you the truth. When I was little, a gilr reported my uncle to the police and they came and ask me if he had ever done anything to me. I lied and told her no. Most kids are too ashamed to admit it. I also think you should have gone to the police. As someone else stated, the police can and will arrest someone just for attempting to molest.