Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Iam getting banded on the 26/06/09 and I am paying for it myself. I have been told to go on a low fat diet for 2 weeks which I have done successfully, but I am really worried about my liver. I am not an alcoholic or anything but I do like a glass of wine or two in the evening with my meal and have done this for many years. Now I am worrying if and when the Dr. opens me up and says my liver is too bad. Oh I am worrying about everything at the moment and my husband thinks I am overreacting cause Im so nervous but it is something I haven't thought about until now. Has anyone had any experience of this. Really appreciate any replies. Being banded in Belgium and havent had any blood tests yet as get them the day before the op owing to it being performed in another country. Jx:sad:

I am not a big drinker,but have had my fair share...they knew i had a fatty liver (via my abdominal ultrasound) so maybe they will be able to tell of any damage then...

If all you have had is a glass or two with dinner, I wouldn't worry. They say that is actually good for you. Stick to the pre-op diet, and it will shrink the fat from your liver, making it easy to operate. You will probably have to change your drinking habits, as most people cannot tolerate drinking while eating. So enjoy your wine either before or after dinner. Good luck.

I definitely had that same concern. I was self pay. Did not have an ultrasound. So, when I woke up from the surgery yesterday, I was waiting for the Dr. to tell me they hadn't been able to band me because my liver was bad.... But, everything was fine.

I think I've done more drinking than you....So, you should be fine!! :biggrin:

Good Luck with your surgery Homecare! I was banded 5-08, and at about 100 lbs less now. It has been the best thing I ever did for myself. I am not much of a drinker, but our Dr has us on no more than 30 carbs for a day and I know that wine has quite a few carbs, so you will have to really watch that and choose wines that are less carbs or you will have trouble loosing the weight. You can have a wine spritzer, lower carb wine with diet sprite. It is very good, or another low carb drink is vodka mixed with Crystal lite soft drink mix, it has no carbs at all. So just be sure to read labels and research all your choices so you will be successful in your weight loss. I wish you the best of luck !!!!

My doc specifically discussed this with me. He said a glass of wine every night, specifically red, has some health benefits and to just not indulge. I usually dont drink because it weakens my resolve.

A dry white wine has 120 c. and 5.5 grms of carbs in a 5 oz. serving.

A dry red wine has 122 c. and 8.5 grms of carbs in a 5 oz. serving. There aren't that many carbs in wine, it's the calories you have to watch.

Source of information: www.calorieking.com

Thanks AJW for the carb info. My Dr. has us count carbs as the main focus keeping it to 30 or less for each day. The higher Protein, low carb diet really helps cut out the cravings and seems to help us feel full longer. I have just found that I would rather eat the majority of my carbs than drink them. No matter what foods your Dr has you eatting, we have to help the band work for us to achieve our weight loss goals. It is a tool to help us, not a magic wand. Read labels and make the best choices you can and if you fall off the plan, don't beat yourself up, we are human, just get back on plan and keep going. Good Luck to all of us!!!!

Yes, moderate alcohol consumption, specifically no more than one or two a night, has been shown to be beneficial.

However, if you're trying to reduce carbs prior to surgery, you might be well advised to restrict or just temporarily cease alcohol consumption, since those carbs definitely count.

But afterwards, once you heal and are on full liquids, have a toast on me!

You're not alone! I'm a decent drinker (a couple glasses of wine at night; maybe a few more cocktails on the weekends), and I was terrified that my liver might be larger than the norm. My doctor calmed my fears at my pre-op session when I asked him about it -- A, he said moderate to slightly above moderate alcohol consumption should not cause fatty liver and B, he wouldn't not operate because of one (unless it was enormous).

My doctor's fellow told me when I woke up I kept asking if I had the band, and if my liver was small. Ha. It was fine, and I'm sure you will be too.

You're not alone! I'm a decent drinker (a couple glasses of wine at night; maybe a few more cocktails on the weekends), and I was terrified that my liver might be larger than the norm. My doctor calmed my fears at my pre-op session when I asked him about it -- A, he said moderate to slightly above moderate alcohol consumption should not cause fatty liver and B, he wouldn't not operate because of one (unless it was enormous).

My doctor's fellow told me when I woke up I kept asking if I had the band, and if my liver was small. Ha. It was fine, and I'm sure you will be too.

Thanks everyone who replied I really appreciate it. Going to be banded on Friday with more confidence now CHEERS:w00t:

CHEERS!

thanks for the calories and carb counts too!

My surgeon's dietician said we cannot drink for a whole year. I thought it had something to do with the band. Now of course I know it is just to keep weight loss going and not drinking too many calories. whew!

i have yet to feel like a drink though! I was banded 7 days ago.

CHEERS!

i have yet to feel like a drink though! I was banded 7 days ago.

Yeah, that disappears around the two-week mark. My glass of wine is someone else's cookie, that's all!:smile2:

Thanks to you all for sharing. I was wondering too. I am scheduled to be banded on 7/14/09. I have not started my pre-op diet yet, but I do drink one or two classes of wine a day and sometimes a cocktail on the weekend. I feel much better now. I think I will go ahead and let the cocktails go and limit myself to one glass of wine.