Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need someone to talk to

Ok, so all of my phone contacts are unavailable, so I was hoping I could get some encouragement/reassurance here...

I'm being banded on Friday. I'm starting to really freak out.

My husband's going out of town tomorrow, but he'll be back on Wednesday (in general, I have more anxiety when at home alone).

My best friend and I aren't speaking (not related to my surgery), it's been 8 days.

I think this is the right decision, but it's just getting to be really overwhelming out of nowhere. I've completed all of my educational class requirements, hospital tests, and paperwork.

Now it's just counting down the days...

Has anyone felt this way right before surgery, and come out ok on the other side? Does it get less scary once the surgery's done?

Any positive and nice comments you could offer would be incredibly helpful. Thanks!!

I also had a lot of stressful things going on in my life during the week of my surgery. instead of being upset and things I focused all my attention on getting prepared for the surgery. I hope that you do the same and try to keep yourself as busy as possible. Remember there are thousands of us on here with the click of a button. If you have any questions or just need to vent, email, or message me anytime. I hope everything goes well, remember this is for you, and you deserve it.

in times like this i always try to remember "don's sweat the petty stuff just pet the sweaty stuff." if she is really your friend she will come around regardless of the situation if not than you know you have tons of support here. I joined a couple of weeks ago and I talk more here then with my "friends" we all understand one another, i'm sure once I get the approval i'll be just as nervous as you. remember why you have chosen to do this and pray for all good things:)

I am so sorry that you are feeling so overwhelmed…But I do understand. I too had a lot of stress going on before my surgery also.

I did not have much of a support system set up when I decided to have the surgery.

Husband thought it was not necessary, I chose not to tell several members of my family because they would not be a positive support group for me.

I was nervous, scared and started to doubt my own decision …. I had to do some deep digging into my sole….I had to remember why I was doing this and how it was going to change my life, my health, my wellbeing. I had to focus on me, me, me…By the time my surgery date rolled around it somehow all came together.

After the surgery ….I am so grateful that I did it and since then I have filled in the rest of my family and they are being very supportive…

You will be fine, focus on you….I wish you the best and cant wait to here from you when you are home and recovering.

You may also email me if you need a friend…traceynco@besnan.net

Starting weight 222

Ht: 5’5

Banded:05/14/09

Today’s weight 202 :party:

Weight goal: Healthy!

Thank you to everyone who's responded. This really means a lot to me!!!!!

Also, Brockbabe82, can I ask where you got your "I can do it" graphic?

Thanks everyone! :-)

Hi I had the surgery last thursday and I was like you quite anxious, but, it is much better once you get through it, I am very happy I did it and am healing very well, I know I have to lose the weight and I know I can't do it and keep it off on my own. Hang in there this is a time of anxiety but it does get easier.

Oh, I feel your anxiety. My husband is military and found out days before my surgery that he was going to be out of town on surgery day and the 2 days after. I have 3 kids (age 10,8 & 6) and no family in town. I FREAKED! I had already put the surgery off once before and was determined not to have to do it again, so with some help of a couple of friends, I had surgery and everything was fine. Even with ideal situations, being nervous about surgery is perfectly normal. Try to focus on all of the positive life changes you are about to experience rather than the surgical fear. That really helped me. Best of luck to you!

Lindsay, I TOTALLY hear you! I was very well prepared, months of classes, and i still freaked the week before surgery. The one thing that really, really helped was listening to the "Preparing for Successful Surgery" CD that Kaiser gives us, I think you can download it here Healthy Living To Go Audio Library

or try something similar from a record store. I started listening to it 2 nights before surgery as I went to sleep, and there was a HUGE difference in my anxiety level! My the time surgery day rolled around, I was relaxed and smiling! They even let me listen to it during surgery on my MP3 player, and I had a super-easy time of it with a super-fast recovery and very little pain.

I am sorry for your friend and I pray she comes around, but like everyone else has said, this is about YOU and you must make you the focus. Best of luck!

Riley

:thumbup:I so totally know how you feel. I go to surgery tomorrow 6/2. It is currently 4:47Pm where I am in NYC and I have yet to hear from them the time of the surgery. I am not "Freaking" out but I am stressing myself. Part of me is having second thoughts. The other part of me cant wait to go Shirtless at the Beach.. Yippeee,,,LOL. I am still trying to figure out how to get to and from the hospital. Being a man, I told them I would just drive myself to and from, trying to be all "mucho macho" about it.. LOL. well they told me they wouldn't let me leave till someone picked me up,, No one knows I am doing this and I have kept it a secret for the whole process. But I have decided "I AM GONNA DO IT AND BE HAPPY". So I do understand the anxiety your going thru, but try what I have been doing. Imagine yourself on the beach and all eyes on you, Couple of Wolf calls and a Wow... And That motivates the heck out of me. All will be Good.. So here is to Taking the Plunge..... Head First....hahaha.. Happy Losing

I'm waiting for my lab band date - hopefully yet this month. I feel more anxious as I get closer, even though I know it's what I need to do. I get my support and reassurance from this board, even if I don't post often. It helps to know that no matter what the problem may be, someone out there has dealt with it and can offer advice. Best of luck to you. You will be fine.

Lindsay- Feel free to send me a PM if you want to talk. I'm Friday too and my nerves are starting to get the best of me. Let's just remember why we decided to do this in the first place, and focus on the results. Please let me know how things are doing.

Anxiety can get to all of us at times of stress. If I get nervous about my band I come to this website and it makes me feel better about it.

Also, if you take a look at the before & after's it's very motivating.

My band was almost two years ago. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

Best wishes to you and successful results with your band. I love my band!

Sue

Mine is today. Sitting at home trying to stay calm and not think about it too much - which probably means I shouldn't be on the site.

I'm not too nervous about the lapband. I have met enough people at the support group that have said they would do it over and over again for the results that they have got to believe that I am doing the right thing.

I just hate surgery and anaesthetics in general. I think this will be the 6th time for me and I always wake up feeling crap. So for me it is the process of getting it that I fear more than what happens afterwards.

We will be fine.

Stressing is normal! It's hard to put our complete health into someone else's hands. Just keep thinking, "after the surgery, I will be the one in control! And will have a tool that will help me control myself much better!"

Hope all is going well with you this evening! Just remember, BREATH!

And make sure to read my sig line!