Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had 1st fill, and I'm bummed!

From what i'm reading, it seems that there is no restriction on how much you can eat between surgery and the 'sweet spot' fill?

I'm 11 days out from surgery and feel absolutley no restriction. Just trying to determine if this is normal? Thank's in advance.

weight.png

It's totally normal after surgery to not feel much or any restriction. Restriction doesn't really happen for most people until after a few fills, however, it's important to follow your doctor's diet instructions. After the surgery I believe everything is swollen and healing so it is important to allow your body to recover and heal.

Good luck!

Jenn

weight.png

Edited by genepha
sorry about the ticker

I had my surgery in May 08. It took me 6 fills before I ever felt restriction. It was November before I started losing weight. I was soooo frustrated. I just went for another fill today, and honestly think I am overfilled. I am going to wait until the morning before I throw in the towel but pretty sure I am going to have to go back for an unfill. :crying:

I had my first fill on June 4th, and was on liquids for 3 days afterwards. I do have a little restriction now. I ate 4 small bites of a chicken strip this afternoon and it caused my first PB. And it is harder to eat some foods again. Dr. said no bread at all for 10 days after each fill.

I'm am hoping to eat bread again someday. I miss it, and it's only been 6 weeks!

Since i posted i've had my first fill (June 11th) of 3.6cc and can now only eat the equivalent to about 1/2 sandwich. Very happy with this. Now i just have to remember to slow down my eating enough so i dont over fill myself! :tongue_smilie:

I have had 6 fills since October. I did not really feel restriction until my last fill on Wednesday. I believe that slow and steady wins the race. If you push it your band could slip. Be patient, it will come.

It was normal for me. I was filled like this...1.5, 3.0, 4.5, 5.5, 6.25 The 6.25 in March was the 1st one I felt! I PB'd EVERYTHING. I was in my senior semester of nursing school (this was MARCH, 1 month to go!) and I freaked so he unfilled me to 6.0 and I could eat ANYTHING again. I would never have thought just 1/4 of a cc would/could make such a HUGE difference, but it did. Then in May (after finals! YAY!) I went in and was filled to 6.50 and VOILA!!! A miracle occurred! I was restricted, could only eat up to 1 cup of food, lost weight like I was made to lose weight!

So yes, hang in there. Slow conservative fills seem to be the best for us (although not all surgeons feel that way, but what I've read indicates aggressive fills can cause physiologic problems like esophageal spasms etc). It will happen. You just have to be patient now.

I had my first fill on June 4th, and was on liquids for 3 days afterwards. I do have a little restriction now. I ate 4 small bites of a chicken strip this afternoon and it caused my first PB. And it is harder to eat some foods again. Dr. said no bread at all for 10 days after each fill.

I'm am hoping to eat bread again someday. I miss it, and it's only been 6 weeks!

6 weeks without bread is nothing. Try 7 months! I don't think I will ever be able to eat bread again.

I will say this for the slow fill schedule my doc used...things are exactly as he told me they should be. I can eat literally anything (including untoasted white bread) IF I WANT IT. I am full usually on about 1/2 to 1 cup of food (depends on what I choose) and I stay that way for HOURS. I love it! :tongue: So not everyone has foods they can't eat.