Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 11th Surgery Stories

John337, Danimal, Nkwt2005, Bmaz, Others - How did everyone do?

I went in at 6am and was released at Noon! When I woke up I had just thought I dozed off and asked when they were going to do it. I had no pain. After a few minutes though, I could feel some discomfort.

I didn't have any pain meds and was walking by 10. Drinking the Water was tough. Just couldn't hardly get it down but I did taking my time.

My wife asked me what it feels like (hers is June 1). I described it like someone having their hand squeezed around your neck but instead it's in your stomach. Not a choking feeling but a tightness feeling.

I did take a pain med once I got home. It helped a little more with the feeling. I'm walking about every 2 hours. I also like to take a little nap too.

I just hope tomorrow is not worse than today.

Hope everyone else is doing well too!

I just hope tomorrow is not worse than today.

Everyday has been better and better:thumbup:. The most difficult thing will be HEAD hunger. I was never really hungry but all I could think about was all the food I couldn't have. FYI that gets better too. Key is to occupy your mind as much as possible. And change the channel when commercials come on!:)

It just goes to show you how much different we all are. You didn't have much pain at all but couldn't get any Water down, while I was saying hitting me with the pain meds every time they asked. I went through 2 styro foam cups of Water in a half hours time. My mouth was dry and I couldn't get those "sips" in fast enough. Do you know if your doc put a small fill in your band? Some do and some don't. Mine did not, that might make a difference.

So be sure to be sweet to your wife if she's not a big strong man like you. She could be a sissy like me. I din't start sleeping in bed until last night (4 nights after surgery):thumbup:

Thanks for the advice Hallelujah.girl. Well it's 4:30am and I'm up. Not unusual as I normally get up at 5am anyhow. Pain is still about the same as yesterday so I'm still taking my pain medicine. I expected to be woke up with some pain because of the length of time between doses. I think I would be pretty sore with out it.

My wife who has never had surgery may think this is terribly painful. I can understand and plan on taking off work as long as I need to in order to support her. For me and having open heart surgery 5 years ago, now that was painful for me. I don't wish that one on anybody. I read on here this is a wide range of how people do. Expected as we are all different.

Glad you were finally able to sleep in your own bed once again. That's a great next step. Your getting there.

I'm still sipping Water. Today I will keep track of my Water intake making sure I'm getting enough. I have no hunger what so ever. Not sure about the fill. I think I'll email the nurse and see what she can tell me.

Congrats on a smooth operation, Danimal! You described the feeling in the stomach very accurately -- like someone has their hands squeezed around you. I hope that goes away soon. I didn't expect that to last so long. That's great that you are up and walking every two hours. I am so exhausted that all I want to do is sleep. I have been getting some walking in, though. Just not a whole lot.

Hallelujah, I had to laugh when you said change the channel when the commercials come on. My dh likes to watch the food Network, and I've had to tell him to change it because it kills me to see all that yummy food! Lol Glad you're able to sleep in your own bed now.

Yea!! So glad the surgery part is a thing of the past. I went in to surgery about 7:30 and was home by 10:30! I too can drink Water and protien drinks without issue. Other than being VERY thirsty, I am not interested in food. I have too keep up with the pain meds though. Once I am up, I am up and once I am down, I am down. It is the transition between the two that is the most painful.

P.S., I stood on the scale this morning and it said I was up 8 pounds since yesterday. I was on a liquid fast for ten days and didn't have anything but Water yesterday... there is no way I gained that, RIGHT? Just the fluids and stuff they pumped into me?:mad2:

P.S., I stood on the scale this morning and it said I was up 8 pounds since yesterday. I was on a liquid fast for ten days and didn't have anything but Water yesterday... there is no way I gained that, RIGHT? Just the fluids and stuff they pumped into me?:thumbup:

I can't imagine that's right!! Did you move the scale, maybe?

hey crazy...that happened to me tooo, i stepped on the scale the day after and i was up 6 lbs...it just the air they pumped in you. give it a few days, when u step on the scale u'll b jumping for joy.

Same here for me. I weighed that night after surgery and jumped up 5 lbs from when I went in. Has to be all the fluids they were pumping into me.

Well, I did it.......:tt2:

Since we live 2 hrs away, my wife and I left the house on the 8am train to arrive in NYC @ 10am. Walked over to NYU and was there in time. They called me in at 10:30 am , then we sat and sat and sat. I didn't go into the operating room until 1:30pm and was given a " Happy Drug" and the next thing I know, I was in recovery. I did have alot of swelling and chest pain. They were quick to do an EKG which was normal. It felt like someone was sitting on my chest. Not only did I have a lapband but the Dr. removed my gallbladder, whcih he told my wife was a mess. That's why I think I have a lot of pain today not from the gas but from the pulling and pushing, etc in getting the gallbladder out. Feels like I went 10 rounds with a boxer hitting nothing else but my stomach and I got the crap kicked out of me.

Stayed in the hospital overnight. The nurses and aides were great. They were quick with the morphine whenever I needed it. I left the hospital with hydrococodine which eliviates the pain but adds to the Constipation. Took a while in the hospitial to pee, but finally did. Alot better today. Just went for a walk down the block. Wasn't too bad. My stomach is really, really sore. Trying to eat Soup but not taking in much.

In a little while, I'll try and drink a Protein drink although I'm not really hunger.

I want to thank all of my mayo BANDitos for their best wishes........:smile2:

John337 good to hear you made it OK! With the gallbladder removal sounds like you had it a little rougher. Glad you made it home and are up and walking.

The past 2 days I just couldn't hardly get anything down but this morning I'm off my pain meds and had 4oz of watered down oatmeal. Took me about 45 minutes to eat but at least I'm getting some nutrients now.

Wish you continued success with the band!

Yeah, John!!!! Sounds like you're doing pretty good, considering!

Just remember, it will only get better from here on out! :smile2:

John, I am so glad that all went well for you! I feel better today than I did yesterday and am hoping that continues! My mom is still here to help with my kids, my 2 year old is a busy one! I did take a shower and that is nice.

I have a pain that feels like I swollwed air down the wrong pipe and need to burp. I wonder if I had that before but couldn't tell because of the other pain, which is gone now.

We did it!

Sounds like were all just working the program! Today is one week out for me and I actually feel pretty good...might do some very light yardwork! Cali