Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating/Drinking without a fill

I was banded last week, and obviously don't have a fill yet. I don't seem to have any restriction, but then again I haven't tested the boundary either. I'm wondering though if it's ok to still have bread/rice/pasta and drink while eating until I have a fill? I know after the fill I'll have to see how everything goes, but did anyone have any issues before their fill? So far I haven't had any problem keeping food down or anything.

Thanks!

First, follow your post op diet/guidelines TO THE LETTER until you are well into solids. That period isn't for what you can/can't/should/shouldn't do, but for healing. Period. You need to not eat the wrong foods so your band can heal.

After that? Before you have restriction, many of us feel we don't even have a band. I was one. I ate like I used to. That meant sometimes the goods you describe.

I haven't, to my knowledge, hurt myself. Once you get restriction it is a different ball game but until then, once the band is healed (and your swelling has subsided) until you are tightened up, you don't have to be so watchful.

And actually post fill depending you may be able to have rice/pasta etc (just don't drink while eating; it can stretch your pouch etc and can HURT!) My nut. said just to make sure the rice or Pasta is very well done so it won't continue to swell once you've swallowed it.

Eventually you may get tight enough that you won't have those things because you'll be trying to get adequate nutrition and are very full on a very little bit.

As said above... One week out from banding is definitely NOT the time to be eating any kind of solid food. Most surgeons recommend at least 2 weeks of liquids, then 2 weeks of mushies before starting on soft foods, then gradually introducing other stuff.

Usually you have a fill around 6 weeks after being banded - so between weeks 4 and 6 is when you can try those things you want to try (this is going by my post-op rules, though. You should definitely follow whatever your surgeon recommends)

Thanks. I've been cleared for mushy food, and on Tuesday I'll be on "normal food". My post-op diet has "ideas", but it's really whatever I can handle now. It doesn't say I absolutely can't have pasta/bread, it says "breads are sometimes untolerable". I just have to play with it all and see.

My doc's post-op was 2 days of Clear Liquids, 4 days of full liquids, 4 days of mushies, and then regular solids. He has a pretty lienent post-op, however the pre-op diet was pretty extensive. I've had no issues with keeping anything down, and in no way am I hording myself. I just want to keep my options open, and know what is generally tolerated and what isn't right now. I know after the fill things will be different as to what I will be able to tolerate.

My doc and NUT had 2 weeks of liquids pre and post op, and post-op I was full after 3 oz of creamed Soups through the whole first week, and could not have handled mushies until the end of week 2 though started on week 3. I didn't have any throwing up or trouble, but did only liquids then stuck with mushies a little longer than the 2 weeks (so week 4 post op). Docs differ, though I was not eager to push the envelope and wanted to err on the side of caution! I've had 4 fills and now have a little restriction, but even with a fill it won't be immediate, or if you feel it right away it may not last - my doc also has us do liquids the full 24-36 hrs after a fill...