Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight watchers and the Band I cannot believe this!!!!

OMG I cannot believe how horrible the WW boards are to Lap banders!!!!

I recently started using WW along with the band and have been seeing amazing results! WW has always been my favorite lifestyle plan so I wanted to combine the two together. I talked it over with my doctor and we adjusted my points to fit my band.

I posted a message on the boards saying that I have the band it is the only thing that has helped me to this extent and the combination of the two is amazing.

The responses I got where hurtful and uninformed. First they kept comparing me to a Gastric Bypass patient, which I would never want to be due to the complications. That's why I picked the lap band. Second, the called it the Lazy man's diet, also stating that I shouldn't be promoting WLS on their boards. Some of the other things that they where saying: They couldn't believe that i've only lost 35lbs in 4 months compaired to their 45lbs wl in the same amount of time, how could I spend that much money just to be cut up and still have to be doing the same thing as them, Did I mention they called me lazy, said I had underlying mental issues. and so forth.

And I all I said was that they combination of the two for me is a great one! And it's not for everyone but it works for me.

I just can't believe it!

I mean look at this one post!!

" honestly don't care you have taken that route, I call it the lazy route, all I'm saying is please don't be coming to WW and touting surgery as an alternative to diet and exercise.

So, take your story elsewhere. Last thing I want ppl to do is read ur rant and give up on a healthier way to lose weight and opt for the lazy option like you did! your 10lb gain is not "magic" on cruises, its called you can't stop eating. "

This was pretty much what all 25 comments where like....and all i simply said was I am doing the band and WW after being on WW a billion times I finally have something that will work for ME.

bubbles don't sweat the small stuff.... those people are maybe jealous because they feel the losing weight will be easyier for you.... everyone is different i did weight watchers with my wife and stuck to it... didn't lose as much as i did with Atkins. stoped atkins huge rebound.... i plan on use a combo of lapband and atkins. i will call it lapkins.... anyways all you need to do whats good for you. only care about how you feel about yourself and screw the rest of them don't take negative in cause thats what you will put out... stay positive and keep that picture of what you will look like thin in your mind and in no time you will be that hot babe... good luck

In the first place, it's kind of rude to board hop and diss people like this. Furthermore WW has BUNCHES of boards. Some are snarky, some are supportive. (I post there frequently) So please don't make all of them sound vicious and evil. You will find people everywhere (even HERE!) who don't think the lap band is a viable option and think it is an "easy" way out.

And if it's just one person you're upset with, take it up with him/her.

I know people can be hurtful and I'm not meaning to be unkind to you....but step back and look at the big picture.

To say :OMG I cannot believe how horrible the WW boards are to Lap banders!!!!

is being as unfair to them as that poster/one forum is being to you.

I didn't get that from her. I got that she wanted to vent about the nasty comments she got. Is she supposed to do that there? Message boards will make you out to be a pariah if you do something like that. KWIM?

Wow! I'm a lifetime member of WW (currently 100 lbs above goal) and also love the program. I was approved to have surgery for June 15 and the day I was approved, I went to weight watchers to get a handle on my habits. I have lost 10 lbs! It works for me also... I was planning to do both with the band. I am curious about the points adjustment your doctor gave you? I was also hesitant to mention it at the meetings...you just helped me decide! Keep doing both - it will work!!!

I just rejoined WW because I knew that the band alone would not be enough for me. I haven't told anyone at the meeting that I'm a bander and don't plan to. I find that people that call it the "easy" way out, ignorant of everything we have to do. I don't think 10 days of liquids, recovering from anesthesia, taking the risk of any surgery, further dietary restriction the easy way out. Try not to confuse mean spiritedness with ignorance. In the meantime, I too am curious about points and adjusting the band. My surgeon's practice is only 10% bariatric, so I'd appreciate any input that I can give him.

I just rejoined WW because I knew that the band alone would not be enough for me. I haven't told anyone at the meeting that I'm a bander and don't plan to. I find that people that call it the "easy" way out, ignorant of everything we have to do. I don't think 10 days of liquids, recovering from anesthesia, taking the risk of any surgery, further dietary restriction the easy way out. Try not to confuse mean spiritedness with ignorance. In the meantime, I too am curious about points and adjusting the band. My surgeon's practice is only 10% bariatric, so I'd appreciate any input that I can give him.

Depending on how you work the band, WW and the band aren't really compatible. WW requires you get the 8 healthy guidelines in (or at least, it did) but I've been told with the band to eat Protein first, then veggies, THEN fruit, and if I STILL have room (implication being that I won't) to have grains/breads/pastas.

However if you do WW as a general guideline and not verbatim, I'm sure it can be helpful (the support, getting weighed weekly, etc). A point used to be roughly about 50 calories. More Fiber could move that up a bit, more fat down a bit, but 50 is a good average. Althought they've just recently changed the diet again, I think that's still a good average. So 1000 cal would be 20 points a day, and you'd want to get those mostly in lean meats, then veggies, then fruits. Maybe that will help give you a starting point! :scared2:

I just re-joined weight watchers for the umpteenth time. Since surgery in 2006, I have lost 120 lbs, been pregnant, had a baby and regained 50 lbs. Those close to me know what a struggle I have had to lose weight before and WITH the band- whether emotional or physical struggle. I WILL NOT reveal to ANYONE at WW about the band, even though in my small town and the same ww leaders as always I know them fairly well. First, it's none of their business, second- these particular leaders ARE ignorant about weight loss surgeries, and third- this surgery saved my life and they would never understand that. Finally, I have heard these same instructors discuss WW corporate view on ANY OTHER weight loss method and of COURSE they are anti. They want to be known as the only REAL way to lose weight. It comes down to dollars. So, that's the message they pass on to the leaders, who pass it to the members, who spouted it off to you.

The combination IS working great for me though. I take their recommendations and modify them to work for me. Having a set amount of points, finding healthier foods, being accountable to someone on a weekly basis for gains or losses and the group support is what is helping me get back on track and relosing the weight I gained with pregnancy.

If this surgery were "the easy way" then 3 years out I would not STILL be 100 lbs overweight, even though I'm 70 lbs from my highest. It's helped- but emotionally and physically it will always be a battle for me.

did u mention with ur tool...u will keep the weight off...lazy yeah right....far from it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! keep on doing what works 4 u!!!!!!!!!!!!! u look great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Depending on how you work the band, WW and the band aren't really compatible. WW requires you get the 8 healthy guidelines in (or at least, it did) but I've been told with the band to eat Protein first, then veggies, THEN fruit, and if I STILL have room (implication being that I won't) to have grains/breads/pastas.

However if you do WW as a general guideline and not verbatim, I'm sure it can be helpful (the support, getting weighed weekly, etc). A point used to be roughly about 50 calories. More Fiber could move that up a bit, more fat down a bit, but 50 is a good average. Althought they've just recently changed the diet again, I think that's still a good average. So 1000 cal would be 20 points a day, and you'd want to get those mostly in lean meats, then veggies, then fruits. Maybe that will help give you a starting point! :purplebananna:

Oh, I dont know, at the heart of WW, as with the lapband, its really just Portion Control. There's no magic in where WW recommends you get your calories from, in the end, its calorie restriction. They go by the guidelines for the general public, but you can certainly do WW in a more lapband recommended way - Protein first, you can do low carb, but what you're really doing is counting points to keep calories down.

You can do WW eating nothing but Cookies and you will still lose weight.

So I wouldnt say its not compatible, I'd just not be very vocal about what you're actually eating at a meeting, since in my experience WW tend to be VERY stubborn about what you must eat. Like when I did the Lactation program and was told to eat 8 slices of bread a day. I struggled with that PRE band sheesh! And of course, I lost no weight, so then I was accused of not eating ALL my points.

If I did WW with the band, I'd just keep quiet about my band and my diet regime.

Edited by Jachut

Jacqui I haven't been to WW in a couple years but I can tell you that, when I was last there, the requirements to eat (44 "points" a day and so on...and the points required drop as you lose, and depending on age etc) were more food than I can physically consume right now with my band at 6.25 cc in my 14cc band. My doc is adamant about no Snacks. So whether or not you want to do the "Protein first" thing (and note I said Protein first, not protein exclusively! ) WW could be hard to truly follow because it's hard to get that much down. Some people can't even eat most fruits etc.

We all have to find our own best way to use this tool and I'm sure you and I agree 100% on that. And WW is a healthy diet...we can concur on that as well! But if you TRULY follow the WW discipline it will be hard to get all the food in, until you've lost enough for the requirement to drop low enough. At my weight if I just ate 1000 cal a day, per WW I would NOT be working the program. See my point? So I said...dont' follow it verbatim! :purplebananna:

I've been thinking of going back, but only for the meetings/support. Certainly we can't eat the way WW suggests due to restriction, but I have thought all along that it's necessary to have some form of support/counseling along with anything else we're doing. THis may be the cheaper route than going to a therapist that deals with eating disorders.