Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Misleading billboard advertising lap band

I have to admit if I took bites that big now, I would have stuck episodes from hell :)

Why would you even have a billboard for lapband? For a diet shake or something I get, but for a surgery? :s

What's next? "Periods suck! Have a hysterectomy!* Insert photo of frowning bloated woman*

Is this kind of advertising normal in America? I can't imagine ever seeing this in Sydney.

Yes it is pretty common here in the U.S.A. Usually it is for PS. Getting your girls done or cologen injections. Lipo-suction, that kind of stuff.

There are quite a few weight loss surgery billboards in San Diego. The television commercials are on the rise as well. It's a money-making industry just as much as (if not more than) any other.

Yeah, I would agree with SanDiagoPhotog... I don't see whats so offensive about it. I used to eat like that, as I'm sure some of us have, so my interpretation of the picture is, a guy eating out of control, if you want control, get a lapband. Its helped me control my eating,,,, down 36 lbs in 8 weeks ;)

It's almost as if this surgeon has contempt for his patients. It is very insensitive and negative. I couldn't go to a surgeon for help knowing he felt like this about me. horrid. Just really rubbed me the wrong way.

I don't see why it is offensive either. That WAS me before lapband. I think it is a pretty fair depiction.

Actually, it's ads like this that have made me "stay in the closet" about my band. I have only told my closest friends and family because of misconceptions like this!!

I'm a little bit confused as to exactly why everyone is having a fit over this billboard. I think it's hilarious. Most of you guys are complaining over the size of the bite.... That's not the point of the billboard... Realize that the guy in the picture is before the band... It's telling them to come and get the band....

Apparently, most of you guys have forgotten that guy in the picture WAS US. This is how we were. MAYBE YOU GUYS ARE PISSED BECAUSE IT REMINDS YOU OF YOURSELF BEFORE THE BAND! That's who we WERE and the band may have changed our lives but that guy WAS us.

The fact is that yes dieting sucks... we know that.. if we didn't we would have never gotten the band in the first place. yeah we worked hard... we didn't diet... we changed our lifestyle... our eating habits... our change is for a lifetime and not just a temporary diet!!! - so the billboard hits it on the spot if you ask me... DIETING SUCKS!!

I LOVE IT

Lori,

This billboard is a wake up call not only for the pre-band patients but for post-band patients like yourself. You've lost 76 pounds in over 2 years? According to your bmi chart you lost less than 20% towards your goal bmi. I don't think your qualified to make a comment as you yourself have misconceptions about the band. Sounds like your taking it personally rather than looking at the facts. That person reminds you of your eating habits which apparently you are still struggling with. Lori, instead of posting comments about billboards posted in a different state, concentrate on your own eating habits.

A truly honest band patient

Apparently, most of you guys have forgotten that guy in the picture WAS US. This is how we were. MAYBE YOU GUYS ARE PISSED BECAUSE IT REMINDS YOU OF YOURSELF BEFORE THE BAND! That's who we WERE and the band may have changed our lives but that guy WAS us.

Nope, sorry, wasn't me.

Lori,

This billboard is a wake up call not only for the pre-band patients but for post-band patients like yourself. You've lost 76 pounds in over 2 years? According to your bmi chart you lost less than 20% towards your goal bmi. I don't think your qualified to make a comment as you yourself have misconceptions about the band. Sounds like your taking it personally rather than looking at the facts. That person reminds you of your eating habits which apparently you are still struggling with. Lori, instead of posting comments about billboards posted in a different state, concentrate on your own eating habits.

What is your purpose for lobbing such a personal, insensitive post towards somebody you don't know, simply because this billboard hit her badly?? Way to introduce yourself in post number one. :purplebananna:

Lori, instead of posting comments about billboards posted in a different state, concentrate on your own eating habits.

tacky, tacky, tacky.....a truly honest band patient....oh, and i found the billboard silly - u , not so much.

Agree with what Beth and Luluc said.

This did Not remind me of me pre band. Misconception about fat people. Not all of us took bites like that. Yes I am fat because I loved to eat. I ate to hide my pain. But a lot of people look at fat people and think that we eat like that with every bite. So maybe you did eat like that, but I didn't. So there you go proving my thought of misconception that all fat people eat the same way!

I think it's funny how some of you are replying and saying that the guy in the picture wasn't you... i mean really? we may not have taken bites like that but we ate like that.... OUT OF CONTROL..... I was and still am an emotional eater.... As soon as I hit a down moment I run to food for comfort.. I may not have taken big bites like that but I ran to fun and basically stuffed it down my face to get that comfort. again.. I didn't mean it according to the size of the bite.... i would constantly eat... didn't have to be cupcakes, or chips.. it just had to be something... i would even over eat on fruit...

when we were fat.. we ate out of control and that is what i mean about it reminding us of our previous selves. it really isn't a misconception about fat people... the band isn't for people who have medical problems that cause them to be overweight (like thyroid) ... it's for those of us who can't control our portions... we over ate... therefore we got fat.........

does anyone get what i'm trying to say????

Edited by Never Again
correct wording in a sentence