Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Only lose 50% of desired amount of weight?

Hi everyone, I'm really sorry if this has been brought up many times before. I am being banded on May 20th. I met with my surgeon for the final consultation yesterday. I want to lose 155 pounds, and my surgeon said that most lap band patiens will only lose 50% of their desired amount within 5 years. However, I've seen such incredible progress from people on here. What have you been told? What's the truth? I know it's hard to say because everyone is different, but I was a little discouraged. I can't live my life still above 200 pounds, I can't imagine that being that way forever. Thanks again guys!:thumbdown:

RESULTS

A review of published studies showed many laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (LAGB) and Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) patients achieve comparable weight loss at 3 years and beyond (55% for LAGB and 58% for standard RYGB).6

The previous came directly from Lapband.com

Hope its helpful!

Im assuming that it is just an average. There are people who have lost more, and people who have lost less than that.

I also am looking to lose around 150lbs.

Hi everyone, I'm really sorry if this has been brought up many times before. I am being banded on May 20th. I met with my surgeon for the final consultation yesterday. I want to lose 155 pounds, and my surgeon said that most lap band patiens will only lose 50% of their desired amount within 5 years. However, I've seen such incredible progress from people on here. What have you been told? What's the truth? I know it's hard to say because everyone is different, but I was a little discouraged. I can't live my life still above 200 pounds, I can't imagine that being that way forever. Thanks again guys!:thumbdown:

This statistic has always been a hang up for me. I started my journey at 327. If i "should" weigh (for my height) 145, that would mean 50% weight loss would be 91 pounds down for me. Oh...I am not stopping at 91 pounds! I like to think that hard work and determination, learning new ways of eating, using your band as a tool, exercising, etc...will take me beyone 50% of my excess weight.

Remember that number is just an average. Some people lose lots more, some people lose less.

It will be interesting to see what other people have to say.

--amy

Thank you both for your replies. I just see so many people on here doing so well, and I hope that I become one of those people! Amy, I think you're right, it's all about determination and hard work. By the looks of it, you are doing wonderfully! Keep up the great work. You should be proud of yourself!

i dont go by stats. i think its really all about the individual its that person choice to make the band work for them or not. and by that i mean are you commited and ready to start your new phase in life? are you ready to learn to eat correctly and leave all the junk behind. are you ready to be positive instead of looking at the negative things about weight loss? all these questions change your outcome. excerise and eating healthy is going to improve your stress level your, make you a happier person, and you will see those lbs come off. you have to want it you have to work for it and you have to be dedicated if your not 100 percent there then you will not achieve your desire goal. getting banded is not all about physical state but mental as well.

I think the doc's all spit out that statistic to us to dispel any notion we may have of losing weight in the same way a gastric bypass patient may. I think there are plenty of us out there that could say we beat the stats!

A few years ago, when I first considered lap band surgery, that was the prediction ... 50%. However, later studies which site the advantage of more patients to study and those patients having the band for a longer time, give the approximately 3 year equal mark for lap band and gastric bypass.

I guess, I just wonder what is meant by "desired". Are they talking about what the person desires, or, are they talking about being a normal BMI?

I have lost over half of my desired amount in 4 months, but my desired weight is to just barely get to the normal BMI. I only had to lose 90lbs to do that. I say only now, because I am well on my way, before, losing 90lbs would have been impossible. Maybe it is largely a state of mind?

WOW Kelin, congratulations on your loss! You are doing amazing! I can't even believe it when I read your stats! Thanks everyone for input. I feel alot better now having heard your thoughts. And Karen, you are right about what you said. I can't focus on the statistics. And I answered yes to all of your questions! :thumbdown:

I got told i would lose 40-50% of the weight, ive lost 71 lbs & still no restriction...in 3 months

go by what your body says/does..everyone is different

I was banded Sept 3, 2008 and I am 5 pounds away from hitting 100 pounds!! I still have a ways to go but my doctor NEVER set a goal for me but did say he wanted me at a SAFE BMI

My doctor told me this as well but I was banded in 2001. I believe that the statistics have changed since so many more ppl have been banded since then. I had lost over 100 lbs. before being completely unfilled with 2 pregnancies and am now trying to lose baby and bed rest weight. I agree with what many others have said in that determination, mind-set and exercise are crucial to losing weight.

Good luck!

Jenn

weight.png

My doctor told me these statistics as well when i was banded.

All it did was motivate me to prove the statistic wrong.

I followed the people that went before me that took responsibility for their results....they fully achieved their goals

the band cannot do the whole job. in fact it is 1 of many tools i use....

exercise and healthy eating being the most important.

but i will say....i did take my eye off the ball at christmas and regained 14 lbs. so i've gone back to basics ie...exercising regularly, journalling what i eat, etc.....once again the band is helping me to get on top of this once again.

Everyone is different. I think some people go into this with the idea it is an easy fix rather than a tool. They do not follow the "rules" and therefore do not do as well as others. I love my band and love the fact it has allowed me to focus on a healthy life style. I think if you go into it with your eyes open you will do great! Good luck!

Thank you all so much, I can't tell you how much your posts have helped me ease my mind. I am definitely committed to it and not looking for a quick fix. I know I can do it!