Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's been a Minute...

So, It's been a minute since I have jumped on this forum and read anything. Like 3 years! But that is because I have had my band since 2004 and haven't really had any issues. The band worked for me exactly as they promised. I went from 280 lbs to 190 lbs and stay steady eating and drinking whatever I want, whenever I want. So I lost over 50% of my excess weight and have maintained that weight for years now. Obviously I am not at the weight I want to be, but I have been ok with the fact that I have not gained every ounce back. I still have a way to go for my goal weight, but couldn't be happier with the choice I made to get the band. I have been able to eat or drink anything I want and not get stuck for years now. Of course I am full after 1 taco or 1 piece of pizza but it's an actual full feeling vs. "getting stuck" feeling which took me a moment to get to. Up until last month.

I remember reading posts in the past about feeling tighter around PMS time or Ovulation time for some women. I was just hoping I could get some more feedback on this. Does this happen to you? Last month it happened for one day and then I went back to normal. This month it has lasted for 3 days!! I have not been able to get any food down and I started my period yesterday. I figure I am still swollen from PBing everything for 3 days, so it's just a matter of time and I will be back to my normal self after drinking liquids for a few days. Yesterday was so bad I was back to sipping Water like a little baby bandster would! It took me back and reminded me I had a band, which I had not been reminded in so long.

Has anyone else gone through this?? Is it hormones? What causes this?

Kim

Well, I hate to think of the negative....but it seems to me, that a lot of people have trouble at about 3 years. I hope it is your period and not the band slipping or something.

I hope not too, but I have had mine almost 5 years now and have not gotten it tightened for a while for that very reason. I was doing good knowing that I will never get over 200 lbs again no matter what I eat and the rest will have to be done by myself. SO I said I wouldn't press my luck by being agressive with the fills.

My hormones have been in a whirlwind lately though, so I am really hoping that is all she wrote.

good morning kim...i love hearing from bandsters that are long term successes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it really inspires me!!!!!!!!!!! im only 7 months out of surgery and of course i worry about the long term maintenance...but then i read threads from people that r 3..5..7 years out living with their bands...not gaining weight...and im sooooooooooo excitied!!!!!!!!! by the way jaffasteve has something negative to say about the band on almost every thread he responds too...im sure you're fine and congrats on ur continued success!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by 2Flyguys

...by the way jaffasteve has something negative to say about the band on almost every thread he responds too...im sure you're fine and congrats on ur continued success!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, he doesn't. And stating facts and stats is not necessarily saying something negative, it's just the truth. Would it be better to never tell the downsides to banding? Is that what you are suggesting?

There is good and bad to EVERY WLS type out there. Showing both sides so noobs can make the decision that is right for them is not a bad thing, it's the responsible action.

Kim, thanks for sharing with us. I have only been banded for about seven months, and love hearing from long termers. I get tight around my period and it is ironic because that is also the time I go for fills. It only last a day or two and I have never PB'd, I have gotten a little stuck a few times, but can usually keep from having it come back up. Some months are worse than others as far as how tight I might get at that tom. Good luck with everything.

I think its totally unfair for someone to make a statement in regards to long term banding and problems with out having facts to back up what they said. All this does is freak people out. Im nearing the 3 year mark have been amazingly successful and problem free to boot!

I think its totally unfair for someone to make a statement in regards to long term banding and problems with out having facts to back up what they said. All this does is freak people out. Im nearing the 3 year mark have been amazingly successful and problem free to boot!

The stats and facts come from Inamed and another good one is Christine Ren's studies. All available on line.

It's important to get the facts out there (both pro and con) about all surgery types because otherwise people don't have solid information to base their decision. For those who have already had any form of WLS it's important to let people be aware of these issues so they can do anything possible to prevent problems.

Woah, forgot how neckbiting this forum is. Any feedback is good, luckily I have done enough research to know the downfalls of the band. Just really hoping I wasn't the only one who got tight around my period and wonder what actually causes this?

My boyfriends thinks that since regular "bloating" is identified with PMS that maybe even though I don't feel bloated, my insides are and this is causing increased pressure on my band or esophagus. I figure that does actually make sense, just wondering why all of a sudden this is coming on around my periods when I have had periods for the last 5 years I have had my band.

So not sure if a "lady" issue or a band issue?? Just know that I am starving and cranky cause I can't even get a Junior Mint down without pain.:thumbup:

I have been banded since 8/08 and it seems like there are times I can eat things easily and times I get stuck or have pain. I can't explain it and maybe the reason is time of the month? For example, had hot dog last night with pain and other times it goes down fine. I have been thinking it is due to my chewing or speed of eating, but I am not sure. Love to hear from people who have had the band a while.

Kim,

Please ignore the bickering on here. Fortunatley not all of us are like that.

Onto the band. Every month for me is different sometimes I have to go on full liquids for a day and then other times I can eat like more than usual around TOM. If it is only happening during this time I lean more towards the fact that it's hormone related. Have you had more stress or anything lately? It's amazing what can affect the band out of the blue.

I wouldn't rule out slippage but I wouldnt put it at the top of the list unless you are having alot of heartburn or stuff coming up at night or you're experiencing this alot more than just around TOM.

Are you going to your regular appts with your surgeon even if you're not getting fills? You just ask for a flouroscope or whatever to double check it.

Best of luck :thumbup:

I really wasn't trying to be negative....I was trying to say, if it becomes a problem, don't just assume anything, and have it checked to make sure it doesn't get worse.

And almost none of my posts are negative towards the band. They are honest and I try to be supportive, without being completely useless, meaningless diatribe.

2flyGuys....You need to know that bringing an argument from another thread into this one, is really just a form of stalking.

Edited by Jaffa

:thumbup::lol::ohmy::lol::w00t:....DREAM ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An interesting dialogue.

Personally, I did not see anything particularly negative about what JaffaSteve had to say. Only CAUTIONARY.

And, I have to support %100 what WasABubbleButt had to say as well. She is quite correct here, as she usually is.

For MOST people who have the band, the process is fairly uneventful, and very often ends up with the patient losing some or most of the weight that they wish to lose, with few or no complications. For others, the experience is not that simple or easy. There can be and HAVE been instances where the presence of the Lap band can be extremely harmful, and in some rare cases, even fatal. There are numerous complications that can and DO happen. People need to be aware of this, both BEFORE they get the band, and they need to be conscious of that fact as they go through the experience of living with the band, as well.

In the OP’s case, it is probably nothing more than a simple TOM reaction; HOWEVER, it is causing her enough distress so that she felt compelled to re-visit this forum to ask for opinions, and when she states that “I can't even get a Junior Mint down without pain”, and indicates that this has been going on for several days, well, I would see this as a reason to seek some medical advice.

Telling the OP to be cautious and consider seeing a Doctor is not meant to “freak” anyone out. It’s simply a recognition that problems with the band DO occur, and they can occur at ANY time during the period the band is present, whether it be 6 months or 6 years.

It’s simply common sense.

Kimilicious, it’s probably nothing, but do consider seeing your Doctor, especially if the problem persists.:)

HH