Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good morning everyone! This is my first time ina forum like this ever, but I am desperate. I got banded on July 1, 08. Have lost about 25 lbs (4 years ago I lost 40 with Weight Watchers, so this is not too significant for my expectations). However, I have not been able to have an adjustment because every 2-3 days I have such serious pain I almost have been taken to the hospital several times. It starts in the upper part of my belly, sometimes more towards the left side, and then either stays there or goes down to my lower abdomen. It get to be so severe I have to breathe in small breaths, because if I take a deep one I almost scream! Also, every evening at about 8 I get a nagging pain in my left shoulder, which also started after the surgery. I was not like this before July 1, and I am seriously considering removing the band. I paid cash for this surgery and don't have the money for another one. Is anyone experiencing something similar? Any support would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Alwaysinpain,

Call your surgeon, and call them now. Whatever this is it does not sound good, and you should be looked at just in case. I hope you get some answers. Good luck to you.

Have you met with your surgeon to discuss this? It is obviously not ordinary or common, so it needs to be addressed. Doc may want an upper GI, etc. How long after surgery did the pains start will be another question the doc will ask. I've never heard anybody specifically describe anything close to what you're describing. It could be coincidental to the band -- that is, just happened to start after you got banded and not be in any way related to the band. In short, call your doctor and get a thorough examination.

Dear Brockbabe82: nothing like knowing someone is listening when you feel as lonely as I feel right now. I have been visiting with the surgeon periodically, and even got a CT scan on this. He insists everything is ok. I don't know where else to go! :rolleyes2:

Remember you are your body's advocate, you tell him that you are in pain, and something is not right. Go to your pcp and see what he suggests, maybe it isn't band related , but there is a chance that it is so you fight to get the proper tests done, to make sure you are okay. Good luck hun, we are here for you.

See another doctor asap- obviously the surgeon you went to is a jerk!!! You need to see another doct because your band might have slipped or eroded. Please get help. Im here to listen anytime.

dear brockbabe82: Nothing like knowing someone is listening when you feel as lonely as i feel right now. I have been visiting with the surgeon periodically, and even got a ct scan on this. He insists everything is ok. I don't know where else to go! :rolleyes2:

Thank you Jenny, Cathy and lipstix64 for your support. I have also touched base with my gastroenterologist but he can't find anything wrong. I just can not live like this anymore. It is like having a bomb inside of you that explodes anytime, anywhere. I have cancelled meetings, shut down weekends and all because of the excrutiating pain! I might have to see a different lapband doctor.

Alwaysinpain......poor you I know this is NOT what you signed up for.

Start with your band Dr, something is definetly going on and he needs to figure out what it is, second do you still have your gallbladder??

I started having attacks after my twins were born in '99, but I had no idea that's what it was. I was not actually diagnosed until 2005 and then didn't have it removed until this past christmas.

When I had an attack it felt like I was having a heartattack. Like there was a vice around my chest along with a stabbing pain that went from my shoulder across to the oppisite hip (I would describe it as having a pc of rebar shoved thru my torso).

Many people have gallbladder issues following significant weight changes. If you still have yours I would insist that they check to see if that might be the problem.

Remember this is something you did to IMPROVE your quality of life, if you are miserable something needs to be done!! Don't take no for an answer!!

Dear Big Momma is Shrinking (I LOVE this name!) - my gastroenterologist (who is not related to the lap band doctor, who is another gastroenterologist) checked on my gallbladder and indicated that nothing seems to be wrong with it. My Mom had gallbladder problems earlier in her life and had it removed so I have always kept an eye on this. I am so sorry you had to go through such an ordeal! But I am glad that you are now doing ok, and based on your name, I sure hope you can change it to "tiny Momma" now!! Ha ha ha...:rolleyes2:

Alwaysinpain, Im a year out from banding, but between months 4-8 I had excruciating pain all up that side, ribcage, shoulder, and down into my arm. Went to doctor and he did flouro and said band was perfect that he wasnt sure but thought mentally I could be in pain b/c of how I handle stress. Not what I wanted to hear of course, but I rode out these last months and have noticed a difference. Im not saying you should do this, just my ordeal. If the pain had not subsided, I was looking into options(sleeve) b/c I couldnt stay in such pain. The pain is now gone unless I go for long periods of time without eating. Hope this helps and you find comfort with or without the band soon!

maddy

Alwaysinpain: Pain is always a sign that something is wrong. Please get an upper GI. Also, check for pancreatitis or some other pancreatic problem. And then go for a second opinion. I did that and ended up changing doctors. My former one was too inexperienced. Good luck. BTW - left shoulder pain is very common after banding. You will find many posts about that here. No one (read: doctor) seems to know how to get rid of it.

Always.....thank you, I don't know if I'll every get to "Tiny Momma" but Hot Momma works for me...lol

and I hope you can find someone to help you and then you can change your name too!!!!

I agree with Cleo's Mom.....if you need a second, third, fourth or even fifth opinion then get one....the band was not designed to keep you in pain all the time and if you are then something is definetly not right!!

I hate hearing that your expereince so far has been so unpleasent but I really hope someon can help turn that around for you ASAP!!!

Have you checked for a blood clot? A week after my surgery I started getting back pain on the right side that went around my ribs and up into my shoulder. I couldn't take a good breath because it hurt to bad. Went to the ER and turns out I had a blood clot.