Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else's arms & legs itching like crazy?

I dunno what this is?!!!

It didn't start until about 1 and a half weeks post op - and my arms and legs are so itchy! It comes and goes but when I start scratching it gets worse. No bumps or bites... am trying to narrow it down to why this could be happening and I have only come up with

- Surgery related

- Change in diet

- Change in moisturiser/body wash (but have only just started using biooil all over and its just my arms and legs, not anywhere else that is itchy)

- ????:thumbup:

Anyone else having this problem?

Also, I have NEVER had a problem getting to sleep and now I do. Used to drop off within 5 mins, now it takes me hours.;) Anyone else???

I dunno what this is?!!!

It didn't start until about 1 and a half weeks post op - and my arms and legs are so itchy! It comes and goes but when I start scratching it gets worse. No bumps or bites... am trying to narrow it down to why this could be happening and I have only come up with

- Surgery related

- Change in diet

- Change in moisturiser/body wash (but have only just started using biooil all over and its just my arms and legs, not anywhere else that is itchy)

- ????:thumbup:

Anyone else having this problem?

Also, I have NEVER had a problem getting to sleep and now I do. Used to drop off within 5 mins, now it takes me hours.;) Anyone else???

Lingling, I only had my surgery on the 16th, but my arms and legs began itching yesterday. it comes and goes, and I thought maybe it was pain med related or something. I don't have any trouble falling asleep though...it will be interesting to see if any one else has experienced this.:unsure:

I have also had the itching thing in my legs and arms and my thought was this was just my body getting rid of the anesthsia. It should go away shortly and if not mention it to the doctor at you next appt. I havent been sleeping well but I attribute that to all my naps throughout the day.

Well I was tichy right after surgery and during my stay at the hospital. But that for me was due to the pain meds they were giving me. I am allergic to codeine (it makes me itch) and they were giving me dilaudid (hydromorphone) which you are not supposed to take if you are allergic to codeine...hence the itching. But no rashes thank goodness. As soon as I stopped getting those meds my itching stopped. Hopefully all of your itching will go away.

I'm not on any meds anymore, stopped about 2wk ago. Feeling less itchy lately - glad that I am not the only itchy one!

Sometime elevated liver enzymes will make the skin itch. It's a deep itch that you just can't seem to satisfy. It probably has to do with the assault of the body done by surgery. If it doesn't go away, I would call the doctors office. Pain medications, particularly morphine derivatives, will cause itching as well. What you have to watch out for with pain meds is if you start to notice hives. These will happen, if there is an allergy to pain meds, around the fatty parts of the body. For me, I get hives on my thighs and stomach when I'm allergic to pain meds and I'm allergic to a TON of them. The doctor isn't sure what to send me home with.

KMDC I've been noticing your Diet Coke ticker that is a major accomplishment I went for my follow-up yesterday and saw Coke machines everywhere my last one was April 7th and my last soda (diet 7up, Fesca, ginger Ale) was 4/9 haven't been to tempted we have a few of the later in the fridge for guest or my otherhalf but yesterday was a bit challange though I held strong.

After my surgery I was unbelievably itchy for a week. I felt like I could rip the skin right off my arms and legs. My mom was wonderful and would get a nice cold and wet face cloth and rub it on the spots that were itching terribly. I definitely think it was related to the pain medications. Hope you all feel better soon.

Sometime elevated liver enzymes will make the skin itch. It's a deep itch that you just can't seem to satisfy. .

Ugh, tell me about it. I had obstetric cholestasis in my 3rd pregnancy. I used to sit up all night with my hands in those silver wine bottle coolers that you keep in the freezer and pay the kids to scrach my legs with hairbrushes :)

KMDC I've been noticing your Diet Coke ticker that is a major accomplishment I went for my follow-up yesterday and saw Coke machines everywhere my last one was April 7th and my last soda (diet 7up, Fesca, ginger Ale) was 4/9 haven't been to tempted we have a few of the later in the fridge for guest or my otherhalf but yesterday was a bit challange though I held strong.

Thanks JayTee! I thought it was a piece of cake until the other day. I was really frustrated and a diet coke sounded so lovely. But, I didn't cave. A big fat doughnut sounded good too. That was a hard one to overcome...

Right now, I'm super focused on the fact that I have to only have Clear liquids tomorrow!!!! I think I'm going to be a little pissy...