Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

C-Section (Before or After banding)?

This will be my first real post :)... My name is Tacee and I'm 28, from Oregon. I'm not banded YET!, but I will be. I'm looking at the end of November, with either Dr. Ortiz or Dr. Kuri. I have been reading everybody's post for a while now. You guys are sooooo great, I've learned more at this site then any other place. My question is..... Has anyone had a C-section with the lapband in place? OR... Has anyone had complication due to a C-section prior? The reason I asked was I had a pretty major c-section with my little one...( I do mean little, 1lb 8oz) they had to cut a little different then normal, so now I'll always have to have a c-section. I will definitely discuss it with my doctor, but I was just curious if anyone had some insight. You guys are wonderful!!!

I didn't have a c-section, but 10 years ago I had a hysterectomy. I have a 7" long bikini cut scar right above my hairline. When the doctor was reading my history he asked me what kind of scar I had. He said the bikini scar would not interfer at all. I was banded on 7/25/05.

I had a c section in 2000, with about a 6" bikini cut scar also. I was banded in 2003, and have had no related complications. Except it seems like the fat in my stomach area is harder to lose than the rest.....but that may be for most everyone. I am not sure.

I had three C-Sections (1994/1995/1999). I also had THREE hernia repais, all in different places on my tummy, all with very different major scars. The doctor was not concerned about doing my Lap band at all. 5 tiny scars are all I have from THIS surgery. You should be fine..and welcome to LBT !!!

I had 3 c-sections..

Im sure most of you know as with any surgery there is scar tissue build up. In the tummy area is an area of concern whenever you have surgery. The number one cause of bowel obstruction is from scar tissue build up. Open surgeries produce more scar tissue then laproscopically. I know first hand...I had 3 c sections over the last 17 yrs. I have had my band for one year..In april of this year one year from when I had my band placed, I had complete bowel obstruction. The doctors contribute it to scar tissue build up from my c-sections. My losing weight contributed to my bowel obstruction. My intestines had more room to move freely and get wrapped around my scar tissue. My left side was completely kinked off and my right side was completely wrapped around scar tissue. Bowel obstruction is the worst pain I have EVER EVER experienced.I had to have surgery again to fix it ..luckily it was done laproscopically so less scar tissue I almost died because of it. Luckily my band is fine and still in place. My bowel obstruction was not from my band but from my weight loss due to the band and the scar tissue from previous suregeries in my stomach area.

Thank you for your replies.... I will definantly talk to the doctor's and let them know. I'm just curious now, can you have a c-section with a lapband in.

My local band friend has had 4 children. Three before the band and the last one she had a few months ago. ALL of her kids have required a C-section. The only complication she has had in regards to pregnancy and the band is she just found out her port got flipped and is going to require surgery to fix. She thinks the baby was kicking it out of place but she also got some Fluid build up under it after the C-section. Her family doctor punctured the spot to drain the fluid and it took a LONG time to reheal. She went to our newest fill doctor to have the wound checked out and possibly get a fill. He decided to do a fill when they found the flipped port but after having punctured into the site the wound healed right up after a few days. Kind of odd... Anyway what part of Oregon do you live in? Me and Tracey both live in the Eugene area. Best wishes, Teresa

I've got a tiny little pouch of fat over my caesar scar, I think your muscles never quite recover. It doesnt mean much, just that I'll probably never have the "perfect" flat stomach. Who cares? I'm 38 and I have 3 kids, I dont mind a bit of physical evidence on my body reminding me of that - just not a whole LOT of it, lol.

I went to an info night last night and the surgeon stressed that it does not interfere with pregnancy and that caesareans dont present a problem.

You guys are great!!! I don't mind the scar whatsoever, I just didn't want the band to interfere with me having another baby by c-section.

Teresa,

Eugene is not far, I actually live in Lebanon, about 40 mins away. I actually had my daughter in Eugene. It's great to know there is others in Oregon.

Thank you everyone!!

Hi

I had a c-section in 1990, I had to have a classical cut (vertical) from belly button to pubic bone. I had the band in 2004. I had a hysterectomy in 2005 using the same old c-section incision. ( I also had a nephrectomy in 1970- I have a long scar from just under my R ribcage to my hip bone). I didn't have any problems and none of the surgeons seemed to anticipate any from my lap band incisions. the lap band incisions are the only ones you almsot can't see, even I really had to look for them to show by gyn surgeon, she couldn't see them!

All of my lap band scars are above the belly button. They shouldn't have to cut any higher for a c-section.

Hope this helps, Good Luck.

Lisa

I had one c-section in 1992 and it was not of concern however two months after my lap my port was flipped and repaired after the repair I had alot of Fluid build up in my abdomen maybe old scar tissue contributed will never know it s two different areas so I'm sure you will be fine

I've had two c-sections. One being 11 weeks prior to banding. No problems. The band procedure is in the upper abdomen, c-section is at your hair line. I've also nursed with the band--still nursing--no problems.

Ive had 4 C-sections 1993, 1995, 2000 and 2001.

I have also had atummy tuck from hip to hip

i was a bit concerned at first about getting a band put in after having these

but the doc said its all fine and wont interfere with my scar tissues