Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do some people never need fills? And other mysteries to me!

Like are some easier cases than others and the bit of restriction some people get with just the band enough to motivate them into eating well and cutting back enough to lose their weight.

And when you get to goal, say for example your fill level is keeping you to 1000 calories a day. Do you then unfill progressively to the point where your weight stabilises?. Or does dieting and getting off a big amount of weight (and actually achieving it like you can with a band) stuff your metabolism so much that you really only NEED 1000 calories a day for life to maintain your weight? Because that scares me to be frank. I just cant see that's healthy for 30 or 40 years running.

And why do people regain if the band is removed? Wouldnt you have thought that after a few years, old habits would have been kicked and new ones established. I understand you could suddenly eat more and you may go searching for that full feeling, which of course, may be overeating. But I dont quite get this.

I can't answer most of this, but I have run into one or two people who have managed to lose weight with the band, having no fill.

That said, I'm so not one of those people and I really need my fill to hold me back.

I have had 8 fills so far, so I am definately not one of those people that can lose without a fill. Up until my last few fills I could still eat like I didnt have a band. I now have to chew everything well and I cant eat bread.< /p>

As for removing fill and putting on weight, I know there is no way I could eat as much as I do now without fill or a band. I dont think it is unhealthy either, that is why they push the Proteins first and others after and Vitamins if necessary. When you get to good restriction you have to make sure what you do eat is healthy for that exact reason.

And why do people regain if the band is removed? Wouldnt you have thought that after a few years, old habits would have been kicked and new ones established. I understand you could suddenly eat more and you may go searching for that full feeling, which of course, may be overeating. But I dont quite get this.

I have pondered this question from time to time also. I thought about the exact thing you did concerning building new habits. I wondered if I could ever not be dependent on the band if I did develop healthy habits and stuck to them for a few years. I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, I believe the answer is that I could not maintain a lower weight without the band. Without even having the band yet, I still believe that I will need to leave it in place because it is psychology and addiction that drives my bad choices. I often equate the band to that moment I spoke about in your thread the other day, pouring out all my alcohol, cleaning out the cabinets and not going to a bar if I were an alcoholic. I look at it like my only physical power/control mechanism to abstain from the extra food I do not need. If I were an alcoholic who had my addiction in remission for a few years, having the addictive personality that I do, I doubt I would suddenly stock the bar at home again just because I thought I had developed better habits. The temptation is too great. For the same reason I will not unfill or remove the band, as the temptation is too great and the risk to dangerous. Maybe this is not the case for everyone. I suppose it depends on what drives their unhealthy choices in the first place. For me, however, once banded, banded for life. :)

Hope that makes sense.

I had 3 fills in a years time and lost 90 lbs..then I was unfilled for 2 months and lost a couple pounds on my own with no fill but it was difficult and the longer I would of gone with an empty band I may of started to gain, I found myself eating more then when I was filled. SInce June I have had 2 fill to 1.5 cc's and that is perfect level for me...

Yes there are people who lose with no fill and just with the band. they are the minority though.

I have a friend who knows a few women who "don't believe in fills". I guess so far, getting the band was all the motivation they've needed to work on their habits. Personally, it seems pointless to put myself through the extra hunger it would cause me to have an empty band.

Currently, to lose wieght, I need to stay at or below 1300 calories. I've found that I can maintain if I stay between 1400 and 1800 calories (never tried to get much higher than that). With my current fill, I could easily eat 1800 calories if I allow extra Snacks and what not. I have to work decently hard at not eating when I'm not truly hungry. The band really only stops you from eating too much in one sitting and from feeling true hunger for decent periods of time. It does nothing for the head hunger between meals, so I have to work on that monster myself.

As for having it unfilled or removed... I really think that after taking the time to lose the weight, I would not develop new good 'habits' until after a few more years of maintaining my goal weight. And even then, I'd really rather not risk the temptation that would be abound if I didn't have my band. If all goes well, I'm keeping it for a good long time.

I haven't had a fill since April, and part of that was removed in May. I still pb at least every other day, so I don't think a fill is in the near future for me. Also, Dylan's Mom, Kelly hasn't had a fill, not one yet.

Like are some easier cases than others and the bit of restriction some people get with just the band enough to motivate them into eating well and cutting back enough to lose their weight.

I don't think I'm necessarily an "easier case", but just getting the band has been a definite motivator for me. Of course, I am only 5 weeks post-op, but I really don't see the need for a fill at 6 weeks, or anytime in the near future (for me, that is).

My insurance didn't cover the surgery - and won't cover anything related to the banding in the future. We had to pay for the surgery ourselves and will have to pay for anything medically related to the band's (or my) failure in the future. So, maybe that's why I am more motivated and more careful to follow my doctor's orders to the letter??

Just because someone hasn't needed a fill doesn't mean they are a "better bandster" than someone else who has had lots of fills. It just means (in most cases) that they already had the level of restriction they needed from the beginning. It's just a quirk of their particular anatomy. And it's not necessarily a good thing, because if they're that restricted from the get-go, then there's no possibility of an unfill if they start to get TOO restricted. It probably would have been better to put a larger band on someone like that rather than have them be that restricted from the beginning. In any case, it's a rare thing for a bandster not to need a fill to get restriction. That said - there are people who are more motivated and can get the weight off without as much of a fill as others. I am one of the "others". smile.gif

By the way, even though the band was instrumental in helping me lose weight, I see its MOST important role as a tool for maintenance. Yes - I would definitely gain the weight back if I didn't have my band. I've proved it on several other occasions when I have lost this much weight, only to gain it back.

-Yvonne

BMI: 39/24.4/22

There is no "better" or "worse" at this bandstering--it's WHATEVER WORKS for YOU. Whatever helps you lose weight to whatever size makes you happy.

Jachut, I don't know where you get the 1,000 calorie reference. My average intake is 1200--and that's a losing rate. I expect to be able to eat 14-1500 at maintenance. There's nothing unhealthy about that. (Actually, there are several scientific studies that show human beings live longer lives when they are at constant deficit--but that's another topic!)

Anyway, I haven't had a fill since banding June 2. I've been able to lose at an acceptable rate. I don't go around really "full" and I can eat bread--but can still bring on a PB with meat. Sometimes I really have to white-knuckle it, but as long as I can exercise I think I can manage.

Four years ago I lost 160# and kept it off for over 2 years. I learned a lot with that particular weightloss which I am able to bring to this latest effort. The main thing that I learned (& really, REALLY finally GOT in my brain which did NOT want to accept it) is that I HAVE to exercise aLOT to lose & keep off weight. Last August I had foot surgery and couldn't workout for months. I gained back about 60 of what I lost before and try as I might, just could NOT keep myself from binging out of frustration, boredom, anger, self-hatred, loss of faith and whatever else. Last time I lost, I promised myself if I ever got over 300# again I was leaving the planet--and I did, and I do MEAN IT. At 230# it wasn't hard to see it coming and not being willing to live thru that again I got the lapband surgery as a desperate measure. And it worked. It took the control away from me--for awhile--and kick-started my motivation.

I like having the option to join in socially. I like having the option of bread. If I have to give that up, I will, but so far I don't have to. I hold out a fill as both a threat and an escape--but most of all as HOPE--to myself. As long as I keep losing & control my intake wisely I don't have to get a fill. If I start binging--I'll fill. If I am injured somehow and can't workout, you'd better believe I'd be on the phone making an apointment IMMEDIATELY. I can't tell you what it means to me just to know there is that additional tool there to use if I need it.

As to learning new eating habits... I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm willing to bet younger than me (I'm late 40-something). Too many times in my life have I lost weight and believed in my new maintenance skills. I've given away "Fat Wardrobes" many times. I've kept over 80# off for more than a year more than a few times. Believe me, I've been a poster child for several weightloss programs. Everytime I got to a maintenance weight I believed I would never be fat again. Well, I'm not falling for that one anymore. And IMO anyone who does just hasn't lived long enough.

There's no doubt in my mind if it were not for the band I would gain back weight sometime in the future. I am so grateful for this device and I am so happy for ALL of us to have this sword to slay the hated dragon. Just remember, THIS dragon is part phoenix--ya gotta keep killing it.

May we all be victorious!

You've really said a (healthy) mouthful there Jack!!! Now please esplain Lucy...what the heck all that means!!! :(:D:P

As far as the 'return to overeating' and binges, if the mechanical~enzymitic model of satiety and hunger regulation are accurate, I would expect to see the reestablishment of such behavior due to the anomalous variant in this regulatory mechanism. In times when life spans were shorter, such concerns were not so obvious. As the percentage of longer lived population increases, new foibles of our physical processes and the degradation thereof, become more of an issue.

My body reacts to the band in a very pecular way...it's not that I have more will power, it's that my band feels tight if I fly, it I am in the hot, it I have my period. Making it so that I have only had two fills and proably will not have another anytime soon. I have the J and J band so the I could have 11 cc and I currently have 4cc... what ever works! OH and I would def gain weight if I were un filled I still after a year want to gorge on food when I am stressed.

I'm fairly concerned, too, about the possibility of killing my metabolism by constantly lowering the amount of calories I eat so my body tries to survive by slowing it down.

I'm not banded yet (Sept. 12), but I know enough about the band that even if I do kill my metabolism, I'll probably keep at least 50% off. Sounds pretty negative, eh? Well, I still plan on reaching my full goal and I have a lot of drive to do it. But based on information I know about metabolism, I can surmise that not going below 1200 calories a day, doing cardio 3X per week, doing weight training 3X per week, and getting in plenty of protien will probably keep my metabolism in ship shape (crosses fingers).

I have not yet had a fill. I'm okay most days. Don't get me wrong though; I think I eat too much at times, but I keep on lossing. My doctor said as long as your lossing don't worry. I do wonder what that "full feeling" is like. I am satisfied most of the time with eating 4 oz. Only if I eat Proteins first (3 oz), then 1oz whatever. I tried california rolls the other day (5=4oz). This was definetly not enough to fill me up. I ended downing a bag of Protein pretzels to feel full.

I do exercize daily. I try to walk atleast a mile a day with the kids. No weight training or treadmill though--they do make lovely decorations in my bedroom however. I make sure to dust weekly and say I really should--naaahh.

I do agree that without the band I would not be able to keep off or be able to eat such small quantities. I love my band! I am quite surprized that I have lost weight without a fill---go figure.

don't worry about killing your motabolism...the band is suppose to be constantly realising food into your tummy so it does not go into starvation mode...