Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What vitamins/mineral supplements are you taking?

I'm going for my pre-op meeting soon and they asked us to bring a list or bottles of everything we're taking (I got lazy and have only been taking a multi-Vitamin lately). This got me thinking about things I've taken before; additional Calcium, Vit D, fish oil, glucosamine/condroitan (joints). I know we don't have to specifically take a lot, like the RNY'ers do (and there shouldn't be a lot of hair loss, other than the loss you get 3 months after any surgery), but are there things you're taking that will help us just by being on a low cal diet? I'd like to go into my meeting with a complete list now rather than having to ask to add things later.

OK, besides a good Multivitamin (I've started the reg. Centrum Chewables- not the seniors version w/o iron), what other vits/mins are you taking, how much daily (units), brand (if you have a preference) and why (if there's a specific reason)?

My doctor recommends taking the Flintstones chewable vitamins. Dosage for adults is 2 tablets per day.

At least they taste good!

Well in my case it a little different because i have low Iron i believe the normal range is 20-36 mines was 6 about yr ago i have been taking normal high potency iron tablets along with Vitamin D 1.25 mg once a month for the same reason above ...than the Vitamin d ran out and i haven't been to the doctor at the point in a long time so i started take one a day teen advantage..that has a lot of vitamin d that i need and also the iron ...now two weeks before surgery i have to take vitamin d and a higher dose of iron because i wont be able to take any pills until two weeks after surgery...my advice is take a good Multivitamin everyday from now on...and my body feels different without my one a day:thumbdown:I KINDA MISS IT ,IT REALLY HELPS MY SKIN AND NOW IM BREAKING OUT AGAIN!!! :thumbdown:

Oh goodness, I keep forgettting to take my multivites! I have never needed them (the perks of eating EVERYTHING in sight i guess ha ha) but must remember to take them. I bought them pre-op and really gotta get into the habit!!

Band_Groupie - mine are just normal women's Multivitamins, let me know if you want specifics!

Thanks for the reminder.

Flintstone's chewables, chewable Calcium and liquid B complex. I got these over the counter but usually get my suppliments form Puritan's Pride they usually have good deals like buy 2 get 3 free.

Thanks all, this is helpful.

JT, what kind of Calcium, citrate? Do you mind me asking what the B is for?

Caltrate 600+DPlusMinerals the B Complex was an optional recommendation on the list from the nutritionist thought I'd try it.

BG- thanks for posting this, I was very curious. I've stopped taking my glucosamine/condroitan because my stomach doesn't like it without food. I have to figure out what to subsitute after the band. My pills are HUGE, so that isn't going to work.

I tried all different sorts before surgery and found I had a lot of stmach problems if it wasn't full of food first. My surgeon suggested something made just for bariatric patients and gave me some samples. I'm know taking Bariatric Advantage Vitamins, which work much better for me. I take two wild berry multiples per day, 3 cinnamon calcium citrate perday and one lemon-lime Iron per day. They are all actually pretty good, especially the cinnamon and I don't feel icky when I take them. You can get them at an site that sells bariatric stuff or at bariatricadvantage.com