Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing Too Much Too Fast?

I'm a bit concerned...

I've lost 13lbs in 9 days after surgery. That can't be good for me. I feel like I'm wasting away.

Last night I was dead set on getting in some substantial calories and carbs. I took matters into my own hands and had about 3/4 cup of mac and cheese. No problems at all...of course I did take my sweet time. Probably over an hour to eat it all...but my surgeon says no Pasta until week 5.

I've had it with liquids!

Anyone else fast forward to the soft foods stage?

I am not banded yet, but I would advise that you be very careful about what you eat this early out from your surgery. Give your stomache time to heal and don't put too much done there yet. This time is designed to allow your stomache to heal and if you give it too much to digest, you may run the risk of screwing up the band. Check with the doctor about how fast you are losing and see what he/she says about it. I know that we all want to lose weight in a hurry but you may be right, that is a lot to lose in a short period of time. Good luck and stay healthy!

Elgrad

Hi Kage, Congratulations on your loss! I too have lost a substantial amount in the first week but im told it will slow down. I too took matters into my own hands and blended up some low-fat savoury mince and rice just to get myself full. I ate very slowly and have had no issues at all. I guess we know our bodies the best of all! IM just gonna go with it. I had a cup of fresh fruit salad for dinner, cubed small and the natural sugar made me feel great! I think the main thing is to not go over board and to go with what feels right! I'm sure your not about to tuck into a steak, chips and salad! lol.

Good luck for the future.... Lisa

I wouldnt be concerned.You sound like me,I lost 18 pounds the first 13 days,but slowed down to about a pound a week for the last 13 and 1/2 months.

I stayed within the rules as best I could, but I had to listen to my body. I don't yet have restriction, and I eat slowly, but I started mushies about 5 days post op. I have been doing the solids now in very small amounts and I chew for days. My portions are small, and I only have one of those a day with the shakes covering the rest. I am out untill after midnight almost daily, so I can't start and end my day like others. You know you, go with that. The first fill is on the 13th, I'm sure my life will change.

Is it even possible to lose too fast? I would talk to your surgeon. From what I have heard/read the weight loss is going to come to a plateau so the more you lose now the better for later on. I think of you jump into foods too quicky you run the risk of hurting your band not to mention going back into your old eating habits and completely failing your band. You don't want to do that. Keep up the good work though. Its a wonderful journey we are on.

Youre concerned about losing too fast??? You feel like you're wasting away??? Are you kidding?? And, you're eating Pasta already?? If you are having luids for two week, of course you will lose fast, especially since your'e overweight it comes off fast. You are not wastimg away with 13 lbs lost. Why would you eat Pasta nine days out?? You could bust stiches keeping your band in place. You seem determined to mess this up. Why???:confused:

I'm a bit concerned...

I've lost 13lbs in 9 days after surgery. That can't be good for me. I feel like I'm wasting away.

Last night I was dead set on getting in some substantial calories and carbs. I took matters into my own hands and had about 3/4 cup of mac and cheese. No problems at all...of course I did take my sweet time. Probably over an hour to eat it all...but my surgeon says no pasta until week 5.

I've had it with liquids!

Anyone else fast forward to the soft foods stage?

Well I was put on mushies on day 4 and on full solids day 8 post op. However, I called my doctor before I began to eat mushies. I wanted to ask first. I don't think you are losing too fast. I think you are worrying too much. The band is doing what it is supposed to do. So be happy!!! LOL...The weightloss will slow down and you won't be happy about that. So just take it one day at a time kiddo!

Wait, wait, wait. Some of you are busting my chops. Let me clarify.

I have felt absolutely awful. Like I'm completely malnurished. I felt weak and tired...getting progressively worse each day...which is why I wondered if I was losing too much too fast.

I needed to eat something of substance, so I ate 3/4 of a cup of Pasta over the course of an hour. It isn't like I'm eating pizza and cake frosting. :scared2:

I felt much better after getting a small dose of carbs. I still lost 2lbs in a day. I just wondered if anyone else jumped ahead of the recommended diet.

Honestly, the only thing I've had any problems with at all is drinking Fluid too fast.

Thanks for all of the info, everyone. It seems as if we've all gotten different recommendations from our surgeons. I guess it is best to just go with trial and error with our individual bodies....

Don't let people get to you. I too started eating sooner than i was supposed to and had no problems. I spoke to my doctor about the whole busting stitches blah blah blah and he told me your band is only as good as the surgeon who put it in.

Just don't over due it and you should be fine. I don't believe your ruining your hard work. You have to go with how you feel.

Keep up the good work!

too funny ...fat people complaining theyre wasting away..lets all be real..we got this done to lose weight! i would reccomend following dr orders ! so funny....lmfao!